I'm an Evil God - Vol. 1 Ch. 16 - People Who Are Outstanding Attract Undue Attention

Yeah pretty bad idea there to use his healing on the disciple of one of his enemies. Hopefully he can find a way to get stronger before he comes back again.

Fed-Kun's army
Oh boy, our MC got to caught up and revealed, a card he should've kept to his chest.

The idioms are a little mixed up. The bigger they are the harder they fall means "the more important or powerful a person is, the more difficult it is for them when they lose their power or importance." vs. the tallest tree catches the wind which means something like 'standing out will bring attention with the implication being negative attention'

Power Uploader
@atomsphere

Yeah, you're right about "The bigger they are the harder they fall". However, the idiom you're talking about "the tallest tree catches the wind" is not the same as the one in the manhua "when trees in the woods grow tall, the wind blows them away" though one of them might be a derivative of the other and they pretty much mean the same thing. I could change it to the literal "when trees in the woods grow tall, the wind blows them away" or use a more english expression like "people who are outstanding attract undue attention". What do you reckon?

From a style standpoint, I think you're better served sticking closer to the literal. Between the 2: "when trees in the woods grow tall, the wind blows them away".

I assumed "tallest tree catches the wind" was a rephrasing. I suggested it as an alternative because it's short.
I like the original "when trees in the woods grow tall, the wind blows them away" because it sounds intentionally verbose which is appropriate from the obviously educated sect master. And it has the literature reference which I really appreciate as a reader.

Power Uploader
The lending view of everyone else I talked to is that it doesn't matter much which one it is since there is a TL Note for it however since there's an acceptable English alternative to it it should be the one used.

That's reasonable. Choosing readability over fingerprint for this medium makes sense. Anyways, thanks for taking my feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread