I'm Not a Villainess!! Just Because I Can Control Darkness, Doesn't Mean I'm a Villain - Vol. 1 Ch. 7.5

Dex-chan lover
Me reading Lady Baby: scanlation war
Me reading this: People complain about skin color

I think I might stop reading comments or shoujo altogether...

Double-page supporter
oof thanks to everyone giving heads up about the
whitewashing plot point coming up in later chapters. The whole "dark skin is evil" thing already made me feel veeeeery dicey abt this manga but wow. Yikes.

HaruPARTY, fantastic TL work as always. But I think I'm going to preemptively drop this.

Nep

Dex-chan lover
Spoilery Spoilers of Spoilerland. The only way out is death. Topic is about the skin color and after.

The light spirit blessed the MC mostly to make a point. It did wonders on her skin color. Strangers stopped fearing her and started sucking up to her despite her previous treatment.

Dad "tried" to be dad as usual but he is a douche. Mom knew when to fold and how to fold.

Everything most people do ended up pissing her off more than when they avoided her.

It wasn't exactly the skin color that attracted people. Her new skin color is simply proof that she got the Light Spirit's blessing. Said blessing is the real reason people suck up to her. Proof is that her 'disgusting black hair' is still black. So this is... borderline colorism?

Don't worry Claudia. Sunbath more and you will get your awesome tan ba... What do you mean suntanning doesn't work because of magic?

@comedyxtragedy Like your name. Their actions are pretty much comedy blended with tragedy. First you laugh at their whatever sad problems going through their head and then pity them for they will never be able to enjoy things properly.

...there are so many good tan characters out there, why they gotta whitewash her?
Could've made it a really good commentary on racism (especially in a country like Japan) but I digress :(

Dex-chan lover
@Nep
Rather than douche, imo the father comes off as pitiful/pathetic. He knows what the right thing to do is, but keeps caving in to his fears every time he tries to approach Claudia. Which results in this halfhearted awkward treatment, which merely increases her inner resentment.

Fck off gaijin, who cares about your "culture" about black and white

Dex-chan lover
...people just going to ignore that even if her skin colours may lighten up in the future, that one of the core message of the story is "Don't judge people by their appearance" I feel like people here have worse memory than goldfish.

Seriously, if you are so cloistered that you have never seen an Asian I can tell you plenty have pretty darn dark skin.

Either way, it is literally a story about not judging people different from yourself, no matter how negative the rumours about people that look like that are, yet there are folk here that are whining. <.<

Shock culture is just plain annoying.

Fed-Kun's army
As with chubby protagonists, basically every WN/LN I've seen that has "protagonist has dark skin and is shunned for it" as a major story factor gets lightened somehow as part of their rise from despised outcast to belov'd-by-all. LN authors are not especially known for a nuanced understanding of societal issues, but it's still disappointing to see every time.

Maybe someday we'll get a good one.

Dex-chan lover
Too bad for you

since her skin will turn back into white at some point

Nep

Dex-chan lover
@zz2000
Sorry. I just googled the word 'douche' and realized I made a mistake. The word I was looking for is huge moron. Not (only) because of his halfhearted awkward treatment but because... Suddenly "treating her well" is obviously only going to piss her off more.

@Elmithian I know right. Its pretty sad when the general theme of this story is about colorism and then people read this and complain about colorism. Its like watching a documentary and complain that there is too much talking in it.

Aw, man. I really liked the dark skin, it was nice to see something different than the cookie-cutter white chicks that are the protagonists of these things.

Dex-chan lover
Black and white in Asia are tanned or not tanned skin, just to clarify. Although it is a bit of racial discrimination, it is more like a social one... If you are tanned, it means that you had to work in the fields and who does stuff like that? The poor insignificant "lowlifes"... White skin is a symbol of prestige, higher social class... I am not saying that I am ok with that, far from that, it is just that I think it is good to teach people the background...
To end, some news articles that address Asians obsession if white skin:
https://thediplomat.com/2019/12/where-does-the-asian-obsession-with-white-skin-come-from/
https://nextshark.com/east-asian-pale-skin-beauty-standard/

/sighs into the abyss at my endless disappointment at how the mangaka has no fucking clue on how to color dark skin for fucks sake use the internet there is litrally a truck load of tan girls in anime style akdhkauhgfwnjxkksjskksksm

Dex-chan lover
They are both delicious, even more when you mix both in the equation if you catch my meaning.

Users who are viewing this thread