I'm Not a Villainess!! Just Because I Can Control Darkness, Doesn't Mean I'm a Villain - Vol. 2 Ch. 12.1 - Publisher 2nd Edition

yo quick question: where in the WN does this chapter take place? I want to pick up from here

Dex-chan lover
I mean you could also interpret is as everyone realizong "Oh shit dark king has a point about this"

but isn't this messed up the plot ... people started to treat her differently because her skin color changed and that's totally relatable for real life situation

Double-page supporter
Still gonna stand by my opinion. The artist/author could have given her a change in hair color to silver or platinum to make her more queenly. Hahaha

honestly the skin change bothered me less then the attitude changes, this better not go the way of Aquarion Evol, where the mc forgives his parents for abandoning him at 5-10 yrs old for reasons....

but yeah writer could have saved him/herself alot of trouble(?) if they changed a different feature or only changed her skin when she used Grace's power. I'm of the mind that her eyes would change color a la Storm of the X-men or Kazuma from Kaze no Stigma(a fellow contractor) when her healing power was active.....

Supporter
LOL amazing

also agree with people saying hair color change from the second blessing would have been the ideal way to go. it's a lot easier to change the color of hair than the color of skin, afterall.

@Armsdealer12 I can see that. Since the dark spirit gave her a "dark theme", the "light theme" shouldn't have been half-assed like in the original.

My two cents on this specific point is that the change makes no sense whatsoever even plot-wise, since her guardian/influencer is the dark spirit king and the blessing only amounted to a healing skill apart from the color change. The handling of this was really lacking and dumb.

Dex-chan lover
I wish she turned Blonde, or Silver Hair instead. 🥰

While it’s not 100% true that people started liking her because of the Light Spirit’s blessing, she was treated horribly due to prejudice before it.

I’m glad she’s being selfish. Let her parents know just how much they’ve broken her, and how lucky they are that she’s a saint instead of the destroyer.

White/silver/blonde hair would have made more sense than no change at all. I mean now it doesn't make sense how MC looks at her hands and how dark spirit king blessing affects outward appearance but light spirit king does nothing. At any rate I am happy with our choco goddess being back but they could have gone at it from a different angle instead of just removing whole decision.

I found it very "victim mentality" on the parents' side , like seriously they were still her parents. Now that she showed them how she isn't bad at all they change. That was like adding salt in the wound she already suffered for years.

I have seen quite a few comments saying things along the lines of 'she's not black why does it matter', and 'i doubt Japanese people had a problem with this'.

You are right, she isn't black however colorism is prevalent throughout Asia (including Japan), and the conversation surrounding colorism and its consequences is getting louder and louder each year. I have no doubt it left a sour taste in many Japanese reader's mouths when she became 'less dark' and suddenly was accepted by society. Does this make sense for the plot? Yes, absolutely, however many Asian people (including Japanese people) bleach their skin in order to become lighter and in turn be more accepted by society. I'm sure for many readers it felt like a reflection of their lives, where they were told that in order to be more successful, pretty, or attractive they had to become lighter.

Colorism is a thing, look it up before you make assumptions. Clearly, the publishers realized what a bad message changing her skin sent and changed it afterward.

@Alex-S how? how can someone being drawn sas having darker skin tone ruin the plot? she still has the blessing of the light spirit it’s not like that changed...

Dex-chan lover
Anyone who complained about her having lighter skin and is happy she stayed dark are the real racists because they're willing to undermine the whole racism topic in this series because it hurts their feelings.

MC HATED when people acted nice to her after she got the Light King's Blessing. That's the whole bloody point. You people are racists for hating that.

I literally read this revised chapter and had no idea what was different until I looked at the comments.

It doesn't matter you guys. The publisher decided it would be better not to play with skin tone and associate it with goodness/badness, that they didn't want their message construed that way. The story is still the same and unchanged.

Should have changed her hair color. I like characters with pale hair and dark skin in manga. Skin tone's one thing but hair's just hair

@Scrabbleman really, are we going there now?

Nagging because even the original material has sketchy points and this part itself was poorly thought out is now racist?
Being annoyed at the character being born with the story taboo skin color and suffering for it just for the author later yeet this part of the premise into oblivion is now racist?
Grow up.

Users who are viewing this thread