I'm Not a Villainess!! Just Because I Can Control Darkness, Doesn't Mean I'm a Villain - Vol. 2 Ch. 8

ADL

I'm so glad that the Prince said that it wasn't the man's fault the disaster happened but the peoples'!! YES YOU SHOULDNT HAVE OSTRACISED AND REDICULED THE ACTUAL HERO

Hmm…🤔 Does this mean that Claudia just needs to get swept away by the Dark Spirit King to the spirit realms of something else in order to keep her protected from being used as cannon fodder? 🤔

Weird, @naeon, I thought that Claudia's Mom just defended Claudia (or was that the Queen?)—the Mom gets freaked out in-person (we can blame social programming on this one for her visceral reactions)—she may act like a shitty parent most of the time due to her fear, but when it comes down to her daughter being used as a weapon of war, she attempts to protect her.

Now, I may be confusing Claudia's Mom for the Queen, but if not, then I wouldn't call her standing up for her daughter hypocritical. It would be hypocritical if she were to actively harm her child (neglect is a form of abuse, however it is a different form than say whipping a child and actively starving them—both are terrible, but it's kinda like say a parent who doesn't have any food to feed themselves or their children vs someone who intentionally starves a child while living the high life—in Claudia's Mom's case, I'd say that she's a weak person who has been programmed culturally by intense visceral fear as opposed to her actively seeking harm on Claudia). Since Claudia's Mom avoids her due to a visceral reaction, the most I feel like claiming is that she's not a very strong person, was highly propagandized and imbued with stigma, and has some major mental health issues.

If the Mom fails most of the time to be a parent, but when the proverbial shit hits the fan and their kid is about to be used as a weapon of war, then her standing up for Claudia against the Prime Minister would be in my view her demonstrating that while broken, she is not a totally irredeemable character/person, and does care to some extent about her daughter, does have basic ethics. One could potentially argue that she's protecting her pride, but when one considers that being used as a weapon to protect the society would bring great honor onto her family and could potentially blight out the stain of being "cursed" with the Dark Fairy King's vessel as a child. If the Mom went against this very lucrative position for the sake of doing right/protecting her daughter, despite the Mom's issues inside, then that shows some nuance to the character.

Unfortunately, she isn't doing more as a parent, but if given a choice between a parent who would sell their child out & neglect them vs a parent who merely neglects them, but when someone is seeking to use them as a weapon, said parent finding the courage to stand up for that child despite the obstacles feels like a marked improvement. It may be easier for someone to write off the former parent as a "monster" and dehumanize them when compared with the latter case (thus, making it more difficult for the person to cope with the extreme difficulties associated with coming to terms with such marked extremes), but that doesn't mean that the outcome would be better.

I've seen a variety of people act from many of these perspectives and more, and in my experience, people act without restraint when they are pushed beyond their means under enormous stress, particularly when they are forced to overturn fundamentals about how they believe the world to operate. In the case of Claudia, her Mom was programmed to think & react a particular way by society and for her to fundamentally change would require tremendous help, time, effort, and energy (which she may not possess).

Dex-chan lover
@silverden

maybe not specifically racism but still included in the purview, that is, part of racism is a form of what they are talking about here. That being said, what they are about to do is still dumb and contradictory.
Having her lose the physical trait that everyone discriminated against her for, and just after she worked so hard for their respect, so that everyone automatically loves her has the message that the problem was always her appearance and not that people judged her on her appearance. It says that her looks are what mattered and everything she tried just wasn't that important. It's a pretty gross message if it's not put in a much darker story.

@naeon

Yeah I feel ya.

It was so hypocritical and irritating that they were sad when she didn't reciprocate their feelings.

Dex-chan lover
“I’m the villainess!”

*Proceeds to act like a heroine*

“The heroine has appeared!”

*Said heroine completely acts like a stereotypical harassing villainess*

??? Where’s the punchline? At this point you could have written a normal fantasy plot for an otome. The isekai part seems to be completely... decorative, useless.

Nep

Dex-chan lover
Spoilery spoilers of spoilerland.
Father wants to send MC to war because it would be a good way for her to NOT get hated. It is his way of sending proof that the girl has a heart. I don't agree mind you, but its leagues better compared to "using daughter solely as a tool". Basically, he is trying to be a father but sucks at it.

@Meridis
Close but not quite right. First of, she as already earned the respect of a certain group before the color change. Second, it is actually more of the blessing problem as opposed to her appearance problem. Third, everyone does not "automatically love her". Naturally there are those boot lickers and opportunists but rather than saying 'problem solved' it delves into the reverse of said problem, suddenly being worshipped. So its not actually 'sending a gross message'.

@naeon
Which part of the mother's "reconciliation" is "light and sweet". If anything, it is more realistic than 'light' since it would make sense that the mother is trying to make amends but understood it is impossible.

Fed-Kun's army
Gerald is as always, the MVP of the day.. :')
I'm, again, being reminded on how frustrating a manga can be.. :')

@TheDragonLord
Considering the fact she sit between the king and the prince, That was definitely the queen.

Dex-chan lover
Wait, is there any other milk besides chocolate milk?!
Thanks for translation!

Nep

Dex-chan lover
@TheDragonLord The woman in this chapter is the Queen. The mother is absent from the meeting and probably doesn't even know whats going on at all.

The "hypocritical" part people are mostly complaining about is probably

after the war, the mother "confronts" Claudia and finally treats her as a "daughter of the noble house" (must go tea parties and all that). At the same time, she admitted to her mistakes, saying that she realizes that she can no longer act like a mother because it is too late and... "apologizes". Sort of... (due to awkwardness it didn't quite fly out that well but her intentions are clear). Then she requested that they two occasionally sit down together and chat or something. Claudia refused to forgive her mother and did not want any apology but is willing to spend time together. It is a form of awkward reconciliation between parent and child and the result was a fragmented relationship that is in serious need of repairs.

Personally I don't find it hypocritical since at the end of the day, the mother is well, a mother. She simply failed at it because of fear and did put some thought into her daughters feelings when trying to reconcile. This is in contrast with her father who just fails at everything in life.

@tonie I checked because I was curious. I have seen Strawberry milk, Orange milk, chocolate caramel milk, coffee milk.

Then there is marshmallow, root beer, cookie, fkin BANANAAAAAAAA

Contributor
Chocolate milk is the best.

Also, please send these shitty nobles to the war too, if they really want to have one.

Dex-chan lover
@talismaster without her other memories she would have ended up worse then the other girl leading to her death. now with the otome memories and her own previous death she's just trying for a better life.

Dex-chan lover
@Meridis
I honestly didn't notice the equating of black skin = bad until she turned white and then people loved her. I was shockingly poor taste.

first..yes..the skin change would be a bad message for storytellers

second..i like full cream milk better than choco milk

Double-page supporter
they fuckin suck, they all know the dark spirit king almost destroyed the world in the past BECAUSE of their betrayal but they still act like that, smh. FOols.

Users who are viewing this thread