I'm Not a Villainess!! Just Because I Can Control Darkness, Doesn't Mean I'm a Villain

Been waiting a year for this.

In other news, a year ago I had much less money than I had now, but recently I lost a grand. Despite being way up, I still feel like I lost. Maybe in a year I'll have even more money and totally forget this, like in 2015 when someone stole my gold coin.

Truly time is long and lasts a long time.

This was a poorly paced low quality manga before chapter 12, but now it has physical whitewashing? Regardless of your views on racism or complete lack thereof, it's an incredibly shallow plot point:

MC gets bullied partially b/c of her skin color/spirit blessings but now it changes to be lighter due to light blessings and everyone wants to be friends with her! Ermahgerd people are just so shallow! only judging claudia by her cover! like, havent people heard of never judge a book by its cover?!? This is a deep plot manga!!!!!!

It just keeps hitting new lows. Can't believe I have to change my rating to be even lower.

I just read chapter 12. I'M SO HAPPY SHE DIDN'T FORGIVE HER PARENTS! I hate how in some manga/webcomic the tragic girl goes through all that and then when the people who didn't treat her well at first change their mind and are like "we were wrong, can you forgive us?" and then she actually does, it's like whyyyy? I'm glad she said "little too little late", forgiveness isn't something that should be given out so easily. I get that this is just a manga but dude, even in shoujo manga, even in romance manga, there's still something a reader can learn from it. Imagine how bad it would be if some poor soul read this and actually thought "ok yeah I should also forgive someone even if they treat me like sh**". I know I know, it's just a manga but I'm really glad how chapter 12 went.

There's this other manga called, "Actually I was the real one", it's the father who was cold and cruel to his daughter,
but then because she was reborn
she decides actually this time I'm gonna live life how I want.
And because she's no longer chasing after her father trying to get his love and approval,
he now feels the empty space and actually misses her. And this is where I'm waiting for it. If he reaches out and says he'll care for her from now on and she's like ok I'll forgive you. I swear I'll stop reading it. His character
did some really deep child neglect stuff

Group Leader
@Logv21 dude this is so weird, when we pulled it, she was white D:
....we might have to go back through and see if they edited things.....

Aggregator gang
This is just odd drama, the raws have her as her usual chocolate color, so something weird happened. I guess its as they say, the artist must have changed it for some reason, which is likely the backlash over it all.
Comparision here (directly from alphapolis, check it out yourselves if you want to see)
Raw
unknown.png

scanlated
unknown.png

Started to feel like a fever dream 5 chaps in so take that how you will, but it's okay ALSO>>>
so they gave the girl an anime tan and then just... turned her white??? I know it's an anime tan and it's just really "a manga" but I'm still shook asf...it just made the whole manga feel like a shitpost.
The scan group probably didn't do this cause in their DISC they were talking about how the raws back in august were white. idk how to post photos but I took a ss

Group Leader
@Chocoreeto I have a feeling the manga might have actually gotten backlash from the Japanese public and edited it since it first went live in August (because she was definitely whitened by the blessing just like in the book). We're currently looking into if they posted anything about changing it. We'll also have a mini announcement on our findings.

When I read the original on alphapolis, she was definitely whitewashed. And I'm not 100% sure I can trust my memory, but she was still whitewashed in chapter 13. Just now I checked, and the whitewashing was undone though.

Edit: took a look through alphapolis' twitter, and they tweeted about new chapter and put some preview images and protag-chan was white. There was definitely a change done between now and Oct 14. Can't find any news about this change, however.

Just check raw 13 she has white skin and in flash back scens she has dark skin so i think its from light blessing that change her skin color.

Yeah the mangaka recolored it. I saw the alphapolis c12 raw on release and it was whitened skin too.

lol wtf...she turns white and her parents magically now accept her and people aren't afraid of her anymore??? hope they fix this soon lmao... imo, she was way prettier how she was born :p

What the hell 😱 her skin just turned dark to white.I at least hope they introduce of gods like earth god that make ones skin color green or something.

In defense of the translators tho, the whitewashing does happen in the light novel but maybe backlash caused the author to change update the succeeding chapters in the manga

The mangaka probably just wanted to lean on the factoid of “people with blessings of the spirit kings take on specific physical traits” that was mentioned in earlier chapters, I don’t think they meant any harm by the skin color change.

Poor Claudia. Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the whitewashing. Couldn't the Light Spirit King give her highlights in her hair or a special mark or something? But to be fair to the LN author and mangaka, I guess it's to show how fickle people can be.
The scene with her parents was a good example.
Despite rationally knowing that Claudia is not a bad person, their fear of the Dark Spirit King overrides their common sense. Claudia being Claudia built her reputation up by herself and has a tight-knit group of friends and supporters. With her recent accomplishments, people are falling over themselves to be friends with her when people used to be prejudice against her for the color of her skin and the Dark Spirit King's blessing. My girl just can't catch a break.

Look guys, she could have been split in half with one side having the dark spirit king blessing and the other half the light kings energy, now that would be a real shocker, either way it's no big deal really.

When I read the light novel a few months back she definitely turned white with the Light King blessing and there was a big backlash. Possible they changed the story due to the negative feedback, it was a disappointment indeed. Will wait until this scanlation is updated! On that note would like a new poster as well with her darker complexion 😉

Users who are viewing this thread