I'm Not a Villainess!! Just Because I Can Control Darkness, Doesn't Mean I'm a Villain

Two toned hair would probably have been a better choice, since they made a point of saying black hair was taboo (iirc).

But hey, I'm not their publisher.

Can we stop with the "whitewashing" topic? That is western BS and this is a Japanese manga written by a Japanese author who lived in Japan.

I thought the scene in the Light Novel was a lot clearer what had happened: Claudia's skin turns lighter when she receives the Light King's blessing and everyone treats her differently because of it. She's rightfully furious at this, and feels like she's now an impostor because she doesn't recognise herself any more.

When I read it, it came off as rejecting the idea that there was anything wrong with her and that she needed to be purified. They really sped through that here which does not help explain the issue.

I'd like to softly mention there was backlash in the Japanese side of the community before it reached ours, hence why there was an edit in the first place

@Erathia in the manga ver you have to use real context clues from prevous chapters to understand it so its ov the ppl that are mad never learned how to do that.

Why not change her hair colour is my question? Feel like someone should have known that skin colour is a really sensitive issue. Since her hair comes from the dark kings powers too right? So she could retain her skin colour and have some white hair or something. Idk

Ah yes, that infamous chapter, i almost forgot about that since i stop reading the novel because of that. It's not about whitewashing or anything you want to call it, but she just lost one of her unique trait that make her different. If she has white complexion coupled with that cold face, then she will be similliar to a certain lvl 99 villainess...

thank fucking god she went back darkskin. otherwise i would have dropped this manga, ngl.

The story is not written for me alone. I am just one of many readers. But as a fan I was and still am legit uncomfortable with the fact that they turned her white with the blessing of the light spirit. But hey, maybe I wouldn’t be uncomfortable were it not for the fact that I am black.

Dex-chan lover
Thank god Alpha learned their lesson. @JeanetteDusk Well, Japan is notoriously racist, even to dark-skinned Japanese.

@scottle You mean Japan that has a LOT of skin-whitening problems, where people even joked a half-Japanese tennis player should bleach her skin? Sure, there's no skin-colour problems there... As if. Before you pretend Japan has no problems, maybe actually educate yourself first.

And fuck those trash parents.

Dex-chan lover
Usually I’m not for endless bitching to change a product. But this and the Sonic the Hedgehog movie have improved for the better.

Yall sound like children crying over the fact her skin color changed. Its almost like its an integral part of the story where in another world people are super racist🙄. Even if it wasn't, who the hell cares?? Its the authors story not yours.

Fuckin relieved that enough people were pissed off that the publishers were forced to re-release the chapter but let her keep her pigmentation. I was ready to drop this series.

You who are easily offended by everything, good luck in this bitter world.
Never force your opinion on anyone, never let anyone force their opinion on you.
Don't like it, don't read it. Don't like it, don't watch it. Don't like it, stop supporting it.
The world has no feelings, and your feelings are only yours, so keep it to yourself.

Fed-Kun's army
For those who were wondering, the original RAWs, she was white skinned from the blessing. But the Artist got sooo much crap from it, that he re-uploaded the RAWs with her skin being dark again. So no, its not some western bs. The actual Japanese fans who read it, called BS on the skin change and they were basically FORCED to change the skin color back to dark/tanned (whole point of the novel anyways).

So no, it's not just us Westerners being super sensitive about racism and discrimination. At the very least, the Japanese readers (lets face it, 99% of the people who read the RAWs are) were pissed off enough to rag the artist to keep the skin color dark.

Double-page supporter
bakarina now with magical racism.. the worst kind of trash imaginable

reminds me of that bakarina remake where everything is exactly the same except the timeline is marginally different. same shit different toilet

Users who are viewing this thread