I'm Not a Villainess!! Just Because I Can Control Darkness, Doesn't Mean I'm a Villain

Aggregator gang
@Krezen_Ralfador Spoke too soon, looks like they intend to fundamentally change the setting of the story because the twitter fans demanded they change her skin color. NGL though, she looked generic as hell with white skin.

@hobnobs Yeah true, the mc would be generic af if she turned white, the story will then just change into "poor girl bullied by society but saved by handsome and kind people with power uwu".

People with dark skin: Awesome we finally have some representation in manga! As a main character as well!

MC: turns white

People with dark skin:
084.png

Changing her skin white kinda felt like those times hollywood filled in roles for ginger characters with black people. And worst of all she looked way cooler with dark skin. It set her apart from everyone else.

I totally agree with Haruparty, I was also wondering why the heck the blessing didn’t just give her a cool streak of silver in her hair, or a tattoo or something. It’s like the original author went “I know! I’ll suddenly change my unique protagonist to generic (in a way that will coincidentally offend a number of my fans!!)” and the manga publisher went “oooh excellent I like this twist!”

Dex-chan lover
Are you guys really malding over this like are you serious she had dark skin color and dark hair because of her blessing and she wasn't even black to begin with her she had more of a fair skin look at the previous cover. It makes perfect sense that her appearance will change after getting the light blessing.

If she was white first and then got blacked no one will have problem with this

I say maybe, maybe, they could get out better of this useless "controversy" if:

Seeing that everyone treated her better for the changed skin color, unable to trust anyone for this, she decides to ask the king of light to take back the "gift" because only in this way she can understand who really appreciates hes presence.

Aggregator gang
so, according to this manga, white = good and black = bad.............
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Contributor
Chocolate >>>>>>> Vanilla

DROPPED !!
2x

Joke aside, thanks god they undo this, she was looking awful with white skin.

still prefer the second edition, it goes away from the trope of the protagonist of otome-esque stories being pasty white(not racist)
just like the change

@DailyBacka3
No, we still would've. In assumption that the roles were absolutely reversed and she never had the dark spirit king's blessing/protection to begin with; if her skin had gone dark after receiving the dark spirit king's blessing it would cause issues between the author/artist and the audience plain and simple. If they wanted a physical change that badly they should've gone with the hair. After all unlike skin color, hair is dispensable.

6/10 its aight. Just glad it got updated and not really caring if it stuck to the LN (seriously has anything stuck 100% true to the original story/artwork/idea).

If you into the whole Otome game Villan changing her fate to good then you'll like it to a certain degree. Personally I prefer "Koushaku Reijou no Tashinami" for a villioness who's actively going beyond what she should be doing to not get merc'd by a pre-written story outcome.

On another note if there's a Fire/Wind/Water spirit king then I expect those blessed by them to correspond with their color. Fire better be Garfield color or mars red, wind better be green and not some blond elf girl wearing green, and water i expect them to be blue in the face and not some mermaid with blue scales and fair skin if the story is goin that way.

Fact of the matter is, everyone in the story was very obviously prejudiced towards the MC for her skin tone. Being partnered with the dark king may have caused that skin tone, but it was still her skin tone that let everyone know to hate on her. Suddenly she gets light skin and now everyone is all apologetic? Of course that is problematic. You can say it was thanks to her actions that they are trying to make amends with her, but you could also say it is her actions that give her the "reward" of a lighter skin, prompting others to try and make amends. Anyone from most Aisan countries can explain to you the unhealthy obsession with lightly toned skin as a beauty standard and all the societal/self-esteem issues that it causes. The issue is the underlying reasons why the author thought to make her white at the time of redemption and reconciliation in the first place. I think the second publication was the right move and hope it doesn't become a plot hole later that on with people no longer acknowledging that she is the only black person in the world because the author originally intended for characters to perceive her as white from now on.

Users who are viewing this thread