Imasara desu ga, Osananajimi wo Suki ni Natte Shimaimashita - Ch. 22 - It Happened, A Year, and a Half Ago

Dex-chan lover
It's not the first time I've seen an author depict a character in a way that leaves the reader with no sympathy for them, only to reveal their backstory in the next chapter. I always wonder, isn't there a better narrative approach to this? Instead of waiting for the backstory to fix a character's lack of appeal, why not build sympathy earlier on?

After chapter 21, I feel no sympathy for Ayami, and to be honest, I don't even care about her backstory anymore. Her character feels so unlikable in chapter 21, and the sudden attempt to make her sympathetic feels forced.

Wouldn't it have been more effective to give Ayami more 'screen time' beforehand, so the reader could understand her better? By showing her struggles, motivations, or even some redeeming qualities early on, the author could have created a foundation for empathy, building a deeper connection between the reader and the character. It just feels like a missed opportunity when the emotional payoff comes too late, making it hard for me to care about Ayami, no matter what her backstory reveals.

Thanks for the chapter!

Dex-chan lover
It's not the first time I've seen an author depict a character in a way that leaves the reader with no sympathy for them, only to reveal their backstory in the next chapter. I always wonder, isn't there a better narrative approach to this? Instead of waiting for the backstory to fix a character's lack of appeal, why not build sympathy earlier on?

After chapter 21, I feel no sympathy for Ayami, and to be honest, I don't even care about her backstory anymore. Her character feels so unlikable in chapter 21, and the sudden attempt to make her sympathetic feels forced.

Wouldn't it have been more effective to give Ayami more 'screen time' beforehand, so the reader could understand her better? By showing her struggles, motivations, or even some redeeming qualities early on, the author could have created a foundation for empathy, building a deeper connection between the reader and the character. It just feels like a missed opportunity when the emotional payoff comes too late, making it hard for me to care about Ayami, no matter what her backstory reveals.

Thanks for the chapter!
I heard even Yom(artist) got caught off guard by this.

Dex-chan lover
Jesus 422 comments on chapter 21 (at time of me typing this) & I should've checked who the author was (same one that made White Album 2 & others) but I was blinded by Yom's art. Well Idk how the backstory will make things better because at the end of the day, it should've been done first over what we got last chapter. NEWSFLASH you don't do stuff like this to your friends especially the sweet ones that confided in you & put their trust in you like a real friend. At least it explains the age gap somewhat. Thanks for the translations.

Dex-chan lover
Oh boy backstory time.

Fun Facts:
  • Saranami went from being rated 8.59 to 8.04 because of the last chapter.
  • 20 1-star ratings to 93 1-star ratings.
  • 3 people reported this manga as a troll entry.
View attachment 6771View attachment 6774
I mean, they essentially just threw in "sexual assault" (At least it looked like a forced kiss, though wouldn't know yet, maybe he wanted it, which wouldn't help the previous 20 chapters) out of left corner, also sorta just threw the whole premise out of the window..

Why are we being shown their relationship build-up, without any drama, besides that one girl which was pretty much shot down within a couple panels, just for then to suddenly some random girl to surface claim she's his ex and jumps on him regardless, who also happens to be MC's (Girl) bestfriend AND know that MC loves him. 🤨

The last panel really looks like it's just drama fishing at this point.. 😶

Users who are viewing this thread