Improve the 502 error page that we get during server overloads, so users stop refreshing insanely

Group Leader
Hi!

When the servers are under heavy load, users get a page with an error 502 message, so some users keep trying to refresh the pages, and of course it doesn't solve the whole overload thing.

That's why I suggest a strategy to make users stop trying to refresh the page excessively: make the 502 error page redirect the user to a rickroll link, so they understand they'd better watch couple of videos to wait before the server load gets back to an acceptable level.

If such a redirection is deemed too extreme, the 502 error page can be improved anyway, for example by adding:
- some Buddhist quote about patience (something like "Enlightment will come if you stop refreshing the page furiously --Confucius")
- a link to MD's Discord server (so new users can come chat to kill time during the server overload)
- some message asking users to donate to upgrade the servers, and links to a user manual for them to learn how they can do it (A version of the user manual to donate should be made available somewhere else on the web, to be readable even during a server overload)

I know it's a controversial idea, but ads could even be added just to the 502 error page, so the overload time can at least bring money to upgrade the servers.

Dex-chan lover
another idea: archive all the "bad gateway" threads with wayback machine and link it to the error page.

Double-page supporter
Autoban for a week everyone refreshing same URL more than once per minute. Server overload solved 😎

Actually when that happens to me i understand that i have to wait cause i know it's gonna come back so i usually just watch anime or play honkai impact lol so i don't get bored there's a lot of things you can do or watch guys so just wait patiently:>

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
previous suggestion
What century is this?

some message asking users to donate to upgrade the servers, and links to a user manual for them to learn how they can do it
Make it say something like "I have to stay home taking care of the servers every day, if you could donate some money, it would help a lot. -
Code:
[Admin]
"

Double-page supporter
I have to stay home taking care of the servers every day, if you could donate some money, it would help a lot.

CaptainAmerica1_zps8c295f96.JPG

As one of the idiots who didn't realise its due to overloading and not just a genral server issue, it would be nice to have a message explaining why I'm an idiot. (this is due to me getting bad gateway/database error all the time as well so I assumed it was a bad connection).

"Hey, servers are running a bit to hard right now, just grab a cup of tea and come back later."

along with ->

"I have to stay home taking care of the servers every day, if you could donate some money, it would help a lot. -[Admin]"

Bless you cake.

Honestly good idea I agree, when the server goes down I think that it should redirect you to a page with some kind of anime girl and she is glaring at you and has a speech bubble above her head that says, "Don't refresh the page, please we are working on a fix, and don't spam support".

+1 @AB2000
Also +1 @Richman

Users who are viewing this thread