Internet Explorer - Ch. 30 - Article 013

This chapter finally got me to give the commic a rating.
I live in EU, so I've got no idea what's gonna happen in two years.

Some politicians said non-commercial platforms were not part of the new law, but I'm not sure whether that's actually written in the law.
MangaDex might be targeted too?

Supporter
@slyluck they would likely try to stay operational in Europe, but I doubt they would be able to

Dex-chan lover
@slyluck the law does state tat it only applies to site that host and promotes content for "commercial" purposes. Mangadex doesn't hav ads, collects no donations or even any income. I think they would hav to strech the definition there for it to apply

Dex-chan lover
@lastKANAshimi Taking donations doesn't automatically make an operation commercial, in fact by default it doesn't. It only would be if it seemed like it's done to avoid taxes or other responsibilies expected from commercial enterprises (in which case it's not donations but funding, like crowdfunding). Of course, depending on the country, collecting donations might be subject to other laws, but typically that's something only affecting entities located in that particular country or very clearly targeting it from abroad (in which case enforcing any laws might still be impossible). Still, I'm not sure how piracy sites collecting donations in general are treated, whether it's considered selling services (profiting) or not, even if the person donating receives no direct/immediate benefit whatsoever.

Dex-chan lover
Rumor has it Wojinski was just going to outright block traffic to and from the EU for anyone under X amount of subscribers.

Fed-Kun's army
Ha! The joke is on the author. In the final text, Article 13 is now Article 17. Article 13 is now about negotiation mechanisms 😎
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?pubRef=-//EP//NONSGML+TA+P8-TA-2019-0231+0+DOC+PDF+V0//EN

@FireCamp
Fortunately, memes are (legally) safe. The Directive enshrines exceptions for the "use for the purpose of caricature, parody or pastiche"... but only because people agitated about it; the original texts that the Council and the Parliament agreed on were conspicuously silent about any kind of exceptions, hence the panic. I don't like this Directive (no matter how they word it, they're literally asking for filters galore), but it could have been much, much worse.

@SlyLuck @lastKANAshimi @Kaarme
Yep, technically, the definition of online content-sharing service provider, the crux of the matter, is that "the main or one of the main purposes is to store and give the public access to a large amount of copyright-protected works or other protected subject matter uploaded by its users" (which fits Mangadex), "which it organises and promotes for profit-making purposes" (which doesn't seem to fit).

Of course, since this is a Directive (basically guidelines for future laws), it will depend on the country, and I can also see judges deeming "donations" a cover for profit-making. The only services that are specifically exempted no matter how the countries try to spin it are "not-for-profit online encyclopedias, not-for-profit educational and scientific repositories, open source software-developing and-sharing platforms, electronic communication service providers as defined in Directive (EU) 2018/1972, online marketplaces, business-to-business cloud services and cloud services that allow users to upload content for their own use".

Fed-Kun's army
Can't wait to see Chrome get brutally hate-fucked, after what she did to poor little Bing

I see Google Chan got the Brazzers treatment by the EU.

Dex-chan lover
y’all took it as the end of memes, i’m just worried as to wether or not more people than just the fat rat will be able to successfully negotiate the rights to their music with people that purposefully stole it with the intent of making money off of it.

Users who are viewing this thread