Is it fine to translate Pixiv web comic without authorization?

Group Leader
eh I mean, morally speaking no. But then again morally speaking it's not ok to translate/repost any author's work without their permission, including mainstream popular magazines like Jump.

Though I'm not too familiar with pixiv, is it a free platform anyway? If so, I can't imagine an author getting too pissed with their works being shared so long as there's a link back to them/credit is given to them, which mangadex does. I mean, I would still cease translation if they actually contacted you about it and asked you to stop though. But if there is any paywall, that's typically why small scale/indie artists will frown upon it, because they're not making the same kinda cash a WSJ author would be making and therefore have more to lose from piracy.

You could ask permission from the artist.

PS. None of these stuff are legal, strictly speaking.

Dex-chan lover
@shouldsleep
And technically speaking it's impossible to ask permission for every web comic stuff.

@gomichandesu
I actually just slap a pastebin of my translation to one of the work page saying that I managed to translate (but not perfectly as I don't have any proof reader) to show if the author ever want to typeset it to English.

I am unsure about bringing it to something like MD though

Miku best girl
Admin
They're more likely to give you permission compared with manga publisher lol.

Pretty sure there have been examples of people approaching authors and getting permission successfully.

Sem

Dex-chan lover
You should always try to ask for permission when it comes to small content creators that can be easily reached. Even if there are no money concerns in play, it's a respectful action to ask before altering someone's work and distributing it to an audience they can't communicate to directly. It's hard to reach big serialized authors but like if they're on Twitter or Pixiv, it's so easy to ask them for permission.

Heres an example of something uploaded with permission https://mangadex.org/title/30308/modern-mogal

Users who are viewing this thread