Is Mangarock bad?

Blocking basic features to stop a ddos does not sound right, i can not name a single other site that does that.
Also you can not really talk about speed as it dependant on too many things such as your location, your computer, router, ISP, dns server. Way too many things can effect speed of a certain website. Mangadex maybe faster for you but not for others.

"MangaDex is still young" that is just an excuse.

All tho quailty is better on mangadex it not that much better that if you read on mangarock it takes away from the experience., and the tags are not that different from mangarock altho there some additional ones which is a good thing but the navigation for the tag imo are better on mangarock and the fact that you have to load a new webpage just to access the search features is annoying.

"Well, but some users don't really care about that, they just access to content..." yes users just want to access content and mangadex should try to get those people to there website even if they dont care. And it is not some but most people don't care.

Dex-chan lover
I personally use MangaDex not because of the quality but because I know that MD supports the scanlators that provide the translations unlike other aggregators that just straight up rips it.

Fed-Kun's army
My first impression after venturing rock web version for a bit

1) HEAVY, there're lot of unnecessary animations going on. Heck, even the reader is lagging.
2) Interface, looks surprisingly good (as expected since that's the only thing they got to take in more user). MD should adopt those tiles view imo.
3) Reader, well MangaDex win by default
4) Features, Recommendations, Characters, Authors, Search autofill, etc. are nice but somewhat crappy
5) Editorial pick, that's weirdest stuff I've ever seen in aggregator site

By end, I would use MD over rock even if it's my first time knowing both

Blocking basic features to stop a ddos does not sound right, i can not name a single other site that does that
i'd be hard pressed to name a user-oriented site like this one that doesn't disable features for unregistered users, much less those that are used as DDoS attack vectors.

Honestly, when KissManga went crazy on Adblockers and Batoto died I didn't know where I'd be able to read manga. I've went through 5-10+ sites and Mangadex is the best for me at least. The reader is good, releases are good, good front page that's turned me on to a lot of manga I've followed I otherwise wouldn't have seen, stuff loads at a good speed when they aren't DDOSed, and all kinds of other stuff that makes it feel more like a fan website made for fans and not just a giant impersonal manga aggregator trying to drive views and make money. Only two things I can complain about, the search functions are a little bit meh imo and the speed at times (especially during the constant DDOSes) is horrendous but besides those two small things Mangadex feels like the best to me right now. I don't think anything can replace Batoto like it was (I loved the search functions, interface, front page, etc) but this is at least a good substitute and along with the fact they respect the scantalators and the fans makes it that much better.

I personally use MangaDex not because of the quality but because I know that MD supports the scanlators that provide the translations unlike other aggregators that just straight up rips it.
the only reason i really use md to fair as well

1) HEAVY, there're lot of unnecessary animations going on. Heck, even the reader is lagging.
Wtf do you mean by heavy? and im missing something cause there site barely has many animations, there reader works fine for me but you know who cares. but other then pretty agree with you.

i'd be hard pressed to name a user-oriented site like this one that doesn't disable features for unregistered users, much less those that are used as DDoS attack vectors.
cool but you still didnt name tho ?

well, alright. i'll bite. you can't post on twitter without an account.

your move. please name a site that wouldn't disable "basic functionality" to stop a ddos.

Power Uploader
@421cookies

4) Features, Recommendations, Characters, Authors, Search autofill, etc. are nice but somewhat crappy
5) Editorial pick, that's weirdest stuff I've ever seen in aggregator site

Those features are primarily for their mobile app, which Mangadex doesn't have. Manga Rock is a phone app first, desktop reader second. Those editorials are helpful for people seeking manga recommendations without leaving the app.

Mangarock is unique for what it is. It's both a standalone manga reader app and also a manga reader website. That's why it's popular. The website was made originally for their app only.

Dex-chan lover
Come to think of it, you also can't comment, like/dislike, make playlist, and post videos on YouTube without a Google account as well.

Doesn't every site need an account in order to do more than just viewing?

can you name a site that stop you from searching without an account, twitter you can search for tweets, facebook you can search. im not complaining that you need account for bookmarks, likes, commmenting and stuff like that cause that not a basic feature. have you ever seen mangafox, mangarock, kiss manga disable there search bar just because there being ddos.

also how is twitter/ youtube the same sort of website as this one there nothing alike

Doesn't every site need an account in order to do more than just viewing?
yes but they still keep basic feature that allow you to view such as searching for the content you want to view

Group Leader
Back when I used to just be a reader, I'd settle for basically anything as long as it had what I wanted to read.
But now that I've become a hobbyist scanlator myself, I can't imagine using any site that didn't have useful features for uploading/hosting manga. MangaDex has an edit chapter function, something even Bato.to didn't have - I distinctly remember having to upload a version 2 of a chapter once just because I'd written "Kato" instead of "Katou" throughout.
So even though I've never visited Mangarock before, I don't think I would call it as good as MangaDex unless it also has an edit chapter function, lol. It's become my new standard expectation for quality. But maybe scanlator opinion is different from reader opinion, which is fine and makes total sense.

Dex-chan lover
@egirlfriend You're right but that's not the point.

If the plague spreads through the air, would you not want to wear a mask to protect yourself? The mods suspect that the DDoSer both have not registered an account as well as use the search feature to attack. The obvious thing to do would be to block the search function for guests until the DDoS is over for good or a better alternative is found.

i dont think a mask would help much in a plague but okay. So does that mean every time this site get a ddos there gonna have to disable features.

can you name a site that stop you from searching without an account
you're moving the goalposts, but sure. way back when, hongfire turned off anonymous search which is the only reason i signed up for an account.
have you ever seen mangafox, mangarock, kiss manga disable there search bar just because there being ddos
personally, no. but then again i've never visited any of them. if i had, and if guest search were off because of DDoS, i'd either register or move along.
also how is twitter/ youtube the same sort of website as this one there nothing alike
neither one of us ever said it was. you asked me to name a site, and i did.
So does that mean every time this site get a ddos there gonna have to disable features
if said feature is a DDoS attack vector and disabling it is the fastest or most effective mitigation technique, yes. saying a site shouldn't do that is an unreasonable standard.

cool but you still didnt name tho ?
well, alright. i'll bite. you can't post on twitter without an account. ...

you talk about me moving goal post but i assumed you knew i was on about similiar sites. since you then replied about a user-oriented site like this one, you then replied with twitter which is a user-oriented site but not like this one. hense me asking how twitter/youtube is related to this one.

so i could of probably worded that better :( but i thought you knew i was on about same sort of sites.

if said feature is a DDoS attack vector and disabling it is the fastest or most effective mitigation technique, yes. saying a site shouldn't do that is an unreasonable standard.
so as long as it fastest the or most effective its reasonable? so if google was getting ddos through it search bar it would be okay for google to disable it (for non users) cause it would have been the most effecive and fastest way to do it?
also i didnt know hongfire did that so fairs

I once peered out of curiosity, back then :
MangaRock has a nice interface, layout, as 421cookies said.
But it's lagging, yeah, I can't stand to read there even though so far they are a bit superior to most sites - the simpler, more pleasing to the eye. I don't know if my connection is that bad, but, I don't know ... the features aren't very interesting for me. Also, not much can make me stay because there are too many ads.
I think whether it's good or bad depends on your perspective as a scanlator or a reader.

But there is one thing ...
They did not hesitate to post an official license, like KissManga. I think this can also attract the attention of many people.

They did not hesitate to post an official license, like KissManga.
i agree they shouldn't do that, and i think they should give credit/control to ppl who translate and etc as well.

Nic

Just try once in a while in my mobile browser but the loading of reader is slow, like mangahere but a bit faster

Users who are viewing this thread