Isekai Cheat Survival Meshi - Vol. 2 Ch. 7 - Raw Fish

@Deonepiece
pity he fished them in the seas
still a pity he boiled the one who was parasitized
worse he has a skill that allows him to see if the food is fit for consumption
and even eggs and parasites can be discovered as this chapter and that of crustaceans showed

it's a fiction, it's the author who decides what makes sense

"If one fish in a pond/river got a bunch of adult parasite, it's safe to assume ALL fish nearby"
unfortunately it can not be true, that's not how it works
otherwise we could assume that all the fish in the world would be and that the only remedy would be to kill all bearer animals and cremates them (yes humans too are animals)
in short, that's not how it works, it's more complicated

Nep

Dex-chan lover
@Gauvain

Oh no, I don't find eating such things 'crazy'. That would be rude. My father loves eating those. (Then again, he loves eating everything.) 😂
Nope. 'We' were simply 'discussing' about food we wouldn't really want in our stomach due to it disagreeing with our taste buds, or would require a certain level of fortitude to try. And by 'we' and 'discussing' I really mean 'me looking for food topics to talk about with strangers'.

On a side note. I ate frog before. When I was young, my parents half lied to me and said it was chicken (they said it in English but it's called water chicken in one Chinese dialect) Didn't quite like the way it was cooked in the first place (couldn't stand spicy then) so my opinion would be very biased.

As for snails or insects, I haven't worked up the courage to go try one. I placed them in a different category of 'I will never even touch this with a stick'

There are several problems I have with this chapter but I will try to be brief.
1. Medieval Europeans were not stupid, there were good reasons why they ate what they ate, (ref. What Did Peasants Eat in Medieval Times https://youtu.be/WeVcey0Ng-w). The cooking methods, especially for peasants, were simple because it was expensive otherwise. Even if you did have all your modern ideas in hand it would still be very expensive to do. And to say that all Medieval food was bland mush is just inaccurate.

2. Culture shock is real, especially if you don't have speedy information exchanges. It took years for americans to accept Sushi, however there are alot of cultures around the world that eat raw fish besides Japan (ref. List of raw fish dishes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_raw_fish_dishes). In pre-industrial civilisation it is unrealistic to have fresh fish even a couple miles inland, so assuming they are not from a coastal region, their initial revulsion is realistic. But to be fair, if you are with people you trust you are more likely to try food that you have never tried before. My gripe is with the idea that this sudo-european civilisation would not only accept but praise Japanese cuisine like it was the second coming. Don't get me wrong I like Japanese food, and try to make it myself at times, however, even fifty years ago if I made something like that it might be rejected out of hand. And it's not just Japanese food, Green Chili is a staple food here in New Mexico, I doubt most who read this would even know what I'm talking about, but the idea of bringing that dish to a pre-Columbian Exchange Europe and assuming people would just like it like I do is ridiculous.

3. This is a personal gripe, I would not eat food that I know had parasites in it. If it's not life or death and even it you could get them out easily, AND EVEN if you boil it so the eggs and small ones die, I would not eat it. It's not just the worms and eggs, it's also their shit. Someone's disappointment would not sway me, I would just say, "I sorry, this happens sometimes, maybe next time." because a little disappointment now is still MUCH better than risking everyone's health. But I know he has a magic power that tells him if food is bad or not, which would be convenient, but I would still stay away from it just because it's such a gross idea.

I love the explanations about the fish special abilities, rare to see that in fantasy settings. And the food description is on point!

Dex-chan lover
@Deonepiece @Gauvain

The problem is that the author hasn't a coherent plan, but he is just shoveling whatever it comes to mind: for example we got a paternalistic tirade about the importance of vitamin C, when we know that this world ecology is completely different from ours and the girl told us that mana is the main nutritious content.
Also, we have sushi made from fish living in a contaminated ambient, prepared in the most unsanitary way possible (dirty knife, leaves as a plate, no soap to be seen in the last weeks, etc, etc); I doubt anyone of you would have eaten it, no matter how much you like sushi, and no matter how much you believe MC claim about his powers. You just don't eat raw dirty meat.

Also also, over 90% of the cases of anisakiasis in the world are from japan... guess why

does mashing and boiling really get rid of the cysts though? this seems half assed to me ...

Fed-Kun's army
I've grown a bit more forgiving about Japan's obsession with soy sauce, having tasted all kinds of sauces, I still can't find something that tops it. So it would be worthwhile to reproduce it in isekai because it's that damn good. Rice though... that's not that high of a priority, I would be appeased with just pasta and potatoes for a long while.

As for the chapter? Meh, the title of this manga says it all, the guy is cheating so he can safely eat clean food. Though you can wonder how they keep themselves, the tools they use and the food they eat hygienic in the mountains without soap, expecting that to be answered instead of ignored is setting the standards far too high for these webnovel authors.

Double-page supporter
I was pretty grossed out by the fact he chose to eat that fish even after knowing it had parasites.
It's not like parasites are simply independent bodies that have no effect outside of living in the fish, they would obviously alter the flesh and could still cause harm.
Sometimes I just think japanese people are really fucking gross when it comes to their eating habits.

Dex-chan lover
what's wrong with liver thou? if cooked right AND with correct spice it would turn into a delicious dish. tongue, stomach, intestine, liver, and lung are ones that i used to eat but i don't know if i want to consume any other than that.

Dex-chan lover
@cmertb even if it is odorless (which is bullshit for some one who eated fresh-water fish before, but this is isekai, so let just just disregard that), the texture alone might make someone vomit it out right after the first bite.

Dex-chan lover
@Jorelm
Some nice info. And indeed, "Superior Japanese Foods" is a staple trope in Jap stories, it has become quite irritating in recent years.
I don't think I've ever seen a fantasy-character have even a mild reaction towards the author's preferred type of food. Only Natto was ever rejected, and that's because they have self-awareness that it is extremely difficult to get used to.
Now we're only missing Superior Japanese Baths and Superior Japanese Weapons, and "Japanese is the world's Magic cipher", and we're all set.

Group Leader
@krippr might make *someone* vomit... there is no accounting for tastes. However, most people I know love sushi. It just takes getting over your prejudice once. As far as smell goes, there is barely any from fish when it's fresh. If I could smell the fish on sushi or sashimi, I would definitely not eat it. And you should note that they are eating sea fish in this chapter. They went to the sea in the previous chapter. I don't know about Japan, but you won't find any raw freshwater fish at sushi restaurants in the US.

Power Uploader
Right... "they don't know Japanese food!"

*Use chopsticks*

Right... there goes coherence, out the window.

Power Uploader
I think Japanese only look up to the French in term of cuisine. Beside French cuisine, they consider all other cuisines inferior to the Japanese one.

It makes sense, because France and Japan are among the only countries where cooking and food developed into a whole culture and an art of life to this day.

And you won't make them admit that Chinese, Mexican or, even worse, American cuisine, are something that can be mentioned in the same breath as theirs.

>all this people complain and disgusted about the hygiene etc.
This reminds me whenever I watch asian cuisine youtube channell.
Had the same stuff happens in the comment section.
The irony is most of them came from americans, a country that clean your anal with toilet paper.
Sure at some state a 'bidet' is a thing, but this is the country that has the highest problem of UTI.
Talk about being hygiene...
Ahahahaha...👺

Dex-chan lover
that dude must have to eat a lot of raw fish to get enough vitamin c, unless his body had adapted to having less vitamin c. Meat and fish does contain some, but it is very little

He served carpaccio, which is an Italian dish, why do people think he served sushi?

Users who are viewing this thread