Isekai Cheat Survival Meshi - Vol. 2 Ch. 7 - Raw Fish

Nep

Dex-chan lover
@Gauvain

Eh, maybe. Not an expert on such things. Though I did try eating livers (never asked what animal[probably pork], small ones in some soup dishes) that were cooked differently. They all tasted different but they still tasted like dirt... Different dirt, still dirt 🤣

I assumed this was one such case though I wouldn't be able to tell the difference since I don't eat enough foie/foie gras (its expensive) Suffice to say, not my kind of food. My mind wouldn't change unless someone feeds me a 'winning liver', and they would have to order it themselves since I obviously wouldn't want to risk a meal adventuring into a deathtrap xD.

Aggregator gang
Are they ever going to leave that forest? Plus that shelter just eh... you can do better now with six hands. I suggest watch Primitive technology videos. Its a good watch.

@Vasqueztion
I may surprise you, but if you regularly eat commercial fish, you must have eaten parasites, because there is no one to see if there are any before cooking several tons of fish at a time
it may sound disgusting, but that's how our society works

If those healthy(which should be the case before they head out) expeditioners died only mere days instead of months, which is required to break down all stored nutrients in the body(or you know, trench warfare would have been scrapped in the first weeks of implementation), then all eyes should be on that guide.

Well, this is coming from the country where a common cold can lead to a coma and cause amnesia.

Just sayin'

Edit: all stored nutrients meaning, they were eating, so not starved.

Group Leader
Japanese really likes their raw fish. First taste they already think it's delicious.
Doubt anyone would think it's delicious in first try

When I tried some raw fish, I didn't really liked the taste.
Or maybe it's just me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@Nep
That is what I thought
look on google image "foie gras"
generally it is spread on toast for Christmas in France
it's rarely eaten cooked
except in some restaurants, but it's cooked like a steak and still just enough to grill each side

The funny thing would be if the first girl is the dragon the second one came in the forest to kill.

@velocityal2
I will surely teach you something, but nowadays there are still people who die because of scurvy and many other deficiencies due to lack of vitamins
it is obvious that someone who is already on the edge of the carance, will be the first to risk his life, especially if his only nourishment is fish, it is not varied enough

https://www.thenakedscientists.com/articles/questions/how-do-inuit-cope-without-fresh-vegetables-and-vitamin-c

Dex-chan lover
@Gauvain
I mean, if you eat anything, you've probably eaten a parasite or two.
It's just that they're either instantly killed by cooking, so we're technically eating corpses, or get destroyed by our stronger stomach acids than what they're used to dealing with, like birds for instance.

But, again, if I have the power to see a visual warning of "don't eat this", no amount of niceties or obligation would make me eat it.
This is, of course, the visual warning still persists after cooking. That hasn't be specified yet... So he may have gotten or killed enough for it to make it edible to a degree, or it continues to emit malice- maybe.

Fed-Kun's army
Author seems to have some basic knowledge about cooking atleast, which is alot more than various people commenting here..
(Edit: Based on some funny reactions to meal preparations shown.)

Btw, just about any kind of modern meal would be loved in medieval europe, with how disgusting pretty much every meal made based on recipes from back then is.
(Disgusting as in vomit-inducing, there are exceptions but those were rather expensive and rarely eaten while still kinda lacking compared to modern meals.)

Restaurants that try give a taste of the past always modernize the recipes, the most 'authentic' ones atleast limit themselves to the tools and ingredients available back then when modifying.
On another note, good oral hygiene back then was brushing your teeth with your own urine among other things, medieval europe is frankly rather disgusting in plenty of ways tbh.
(Holds atleast doubly true for the parts of europe not close to the mediterranean sea.)

Dex-chan lover
For those who have never seen sashimi, this is a common sushimi.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--PWIN6OD_o

The one he made was the thinly sliced one, normally for high quality/premium stuff, like fugu.

@Vasqueztion
I see what you mean, at a time see a blood ball on a piece of meat or giblets and I felt obliged to remove them, because it disgusted me
now it does not bother me anymore

Dex-chan lover
> raw fishes are delicious
and dropped.

Pretty sure author never eat foreign foods before. It'll take several attempts before it becomes delicious (or never happen at all).

@Nep
in France it is not uncommon to eat pork liver in the school canteen, but the taste is pretty close to what you have described.
It's my stepmother who made me eat the first time, good liver
because she knows how to choose meat, how to cut it and especially how to cook it.

in France we eat a lot of things that may seem crazy for other countries, but it's in the head, it's a matter of education
in some countries eating spiders or dogs is normal, but now the mentality or the education makes that even in these countries it becomes rare
in France most people do not eat offal, frogs, snails, ....
It's more people from the countryside, hunters or rich people who eat it

Group Leader
@krippr You should try to avoid presenting your subjective experiences as something universal. I loved sushi on the first try. It took a long time for me to mentally get ready to put raw fish in my mouth, but when I did, I loved it. Nowadays, I eat sushi practically once a week. I still don't like cooked fish though.

In general, it's all in your mind. If you watch a movie or an anime where people are eating raw fish and visibly enjoying it, you will be far more open to trying it yourself.

Having said that, of all types of Japanese food, I find youshoku far more enjoyable than washoku due to the culture I come from. I would kill for real yakitori right now.

Fed-Kun's army
Where I live, people often burn the deer they shoot, because they look full-on RESIDENT EVIL a lot of the time. Parasites and diseases... Horrific. I've seen some of the monstrosities myself. If you've never eaten venison, you're not missing a whole lot, in my experience. Tastes like a somewhat bland beef with almost no fat.

Also I once cured someone of scurvy with a prescription of Kool-Aid. It's not fun dealing with 3rd world maladies in the United States.

@Gauvain

Parasite : "it's over MC, I got higher ground infested your fishes"

MC : " you underestimate my power."
*MC confidently rush B use still not fully understood skill to help prepare raw fish

If one fish in a pond/river got a bunch of adult parasite, it's safe to assume ALL fish nearby (if not in whole area) already infested or incubated by parasite eggs. Parasite infectivity is nothing to scoff off.

Dex-chan lover
In a world without modern food preparation and medicine, I would cook everything well done. Unless of course I have magical food eyes to spot trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread