Isekai Cheat Survival Meshi - Vol. 2 Ch. 7 - Raw Fish

Aggregator gang
I think the author got the story wrong. As far as i remember, it was seal meat and the native guide ate the skin and the fat, too. And that's why he didn't get scurvy.
But maybe it was a different story altogether.

Dex-chan lover
@Beregorn wasn't dirty though, he washed it in "lemon" juice, and it was sliced real thin too. It's really not that weird, or only Japanese, to eat raw fish. Ceviche is only really cooked by the lemon juice, or vinegar in it, and it can have any number of different textured sea critters in it.

Dex-chan lover
@CountryMage
What is the lemon supposed to accomplish, exactly?
And I am not saying that eating fish raw is strange (I enjoy sushi as much as the next guy), I am saying that it should be properly treated (namely, frozen at -20°C for 24 hours) and prepared in a sanitary environment. Or you can just cook it at 60°C for at least a minute.
Guess what is the easiest and safest choice in a forest.

For reference "Scientific Opinion on risk assessment of parasites in fishery products" from the European Food Safety Authority https://efsa.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.2903/j.efsa.2010.1543

Dex-chan lover
Uh, I think MC was probably a nutritionist? Either that, or he had been hiding the fact that he could read food wiki on a smartphone or something.

TBH I'd probably balk at the thought of eating raw fish in the middle of a fucking forest if he didn't have the damn superpower. I'm pretty sure you have to freeze the fish to make it safe. Even if he did freeze the fish, I'm not taking the risk of eating raw if I don't have modern medicine to help me out in case shit goes wrong somehow.

Fed-Kun's army
lol if you're disgusted by raw fish, go to korea and see raw beef with raw egg for yourself.

"in a world where knowledge or hygiene isn't advanced..." Bitch you just thought that eating that fish would be aight if you just pulled all of the parasites out lmfao

this is the chapter that made me drop this series lol. i mean, trying to be believable as the somekind of food fact but suggesting to eat raw fish in the wild without proper preparation?

if author wants to go fiction, just go make it full fiction material, dont try to bring real life food fact in it. that only makes some ppl bash the danger of eating raw fish with possible food poisoning

Dex-chan lover
a couple times, i tried sashimi or whatever it's called. don't know if it was how it was prepared, but it tasted very plain. only taste was from the sauce. didn't feel like the benefit was worth the risk of worms. parasites is one of those things that i get paranoid or uncomfortable about, like that lotus seed thing. like when i used to have significant acne. if one popped, i had to resist digging at the hole.

Dex-chan lover
Anyone complaining about how raw fish isn't safe, did you all forget he has a fucking super power to detect bad food?

Contributor
@starburst98 His powers are really weird, he can detect parasites and harmful chemicals, but cannot detect bacteria, viruses, and/or fungi.

Aggregator gang
I am yet to be convinced that sashimi isn't the result of fishermen too poor to buy firewood eating their catch to avoid starving.

Raw meat of any type just tastes like...well, nothing. Just sort of a sticky, rubbery...thing you chew up and swallow. All the flavor in meat comes from the carmelization process of applying heat to meat. Shushi has taste because of everything that's NOT raw fish that's in it.

"The sea's fragrance..."
The sea smells like salt, rotting seaweed, water and decaying fish. If you're in a harbor, you can add shit, petrol fumes and exhaust to that. NOT aroma blends I want coming from my food.

Also, pretty sure raw fish doesn't contain appreciable amounts of vitamin C.

@Eviltwinq
Where the fuck part of the world are you from that people don't use toilet paper lol, and what does that have to do with UTI.
Don't get butt hurt cause people rightfully pointing out how ridiculous and unhygienic it is to eat raw fish with parasite in it.
And don't talk shit about an other country unless you name your own, coward.

Y are ya'll complaining about eating it raw?

It's delicious if done well (If you find it tasteless, it's because you're TOO accustomed to processed food. Taste is also not the only point, texture and tenderness can make a meal awesome too) and he's absolutelly right about freshness, it does depend on the species and the condition tho, i love some fresh Salmon or Tuna

@ Seblak

You have no clue what you're talking ababout. First, most people are complaining about eating it raw, because of the setting. You realize that Sushi and other raw fish has to undergo certain processing and storage to even be served, right? Second, raw fish is, for the most part, tasteless. It has nothing to do with "eAtInG tOo MuCh PrOcEsSeD fOoD". Why do you think most restaurants that serve raw fish have some kind of sauce to go with it? Raw fish simply isn't for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread