Isekai Izakaya "Nobu" - Vol. 13 Ch. 79 - Hiyashi Chuka

Dex-chan lover
Bolgangas sound like a species of catfish, I could've sworn an early chapter mentioned them.

Dex-chan lover
I really love this manga. Even though every chapter you are served with variety of izakaya menu, the life of aitheria, the story of the people still connect with each other

Dex-chan lover
This reminded me of the time when my mother decided for me to go for a check up. At least he doesn't have astigmatism, that requires a lot more skill in medicine.

On the first page it should be his 'favorite' Asparagus.

At least I don't think anyone call their favorite food as 'prized'?
Prized can also work if we have more context about it. Like they are the ones who ships the finest quality of asparagus in the country for example. Without it, it's just a head scratcher on what context he is referring to.

It's more likely he already did gave it when he told everyone in the meeting that they can further enrich the city's agricultural needs but because it's not very specific to asparagus, it will still cause some confusion.

Dex-chan lover
Prized can also work if we have more context about it. Like they are the ones who ships the finest quality of asparagus in the country for example. Without it, it's just a head scratcher on what context he is referring to.

The context is literally the previous chapter, when he ate asparagus in his bento.
Even mentioned it's his favorite food (there's a missing 'my' there)
https://mangadex.org/chapter/1c6e9348-c911-4032-82bc-ee8ff125992c/17

This is him having calmed down over the night and start questioning the existence of that fresh asparagus.

Dex-chan lover
This reminded me of the time when my mother decided for me to go for a check up. At least he doesn't have astigmatism, that requires a lot more skill in medicine.

It's more likely he already did gave it when he told everyone in the meeting that they can further enrich the city's agricultural needs but because it's not very specific to asparagus, it will still cause some confusion.
The context is literally the previous chapter, when he ate asparagus in his bento.
Even mentioned it's his favorite food (there's a missing 'my' there)
https://mangadex.org/chapter/1c6e9348-c911-4032-82bc-ee8ff125992c/17

This is him having calmed down over the night and start questioning the existence of that fresh asparagus.
Honestly, "beloved" might have been a better translation than "prized".

Dex-chan lover
On the first page it should be his 'favorite' Asparagus.

I think prized is fine in that context, he means that it's his favorite but difficult to find. To seek out a prized possession. Either would work, prized seems better in that situation but it is a fairly rare usage. It also implies that he speaks with an educated background where someone more working-class in Aitheria would call it their favorite.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the chapter, but you can't drop that story about your grandmother's sauce recipe and not share the recipe...

Dex-chan lover
I think prized is fine in that context, he means that it's his favorite but difficult to find. To seek out a prized possession. Either would work, prized seems better in that situation but it is a fairly rare usage. It also implies that he speaks with an educated background where someone more working-class in Aitheria would call it their favorite.
While I too think it's fine (it's understandable, that's all that really matters to me), I think "prized" has a certain connotation to ownership—prized possessions, prized pig, etc—whereas he certainly doesn't own asparagus.

Dex-chan lover
Are you sure the fish they're referring to isn't Bagangan? They're mentioned in chapter 13.
bagangan refers to emperor fish in the Philippines but given that they’re saltwater fish I think catfish is a straightforward enough translation

and I think we can get even more specific: it’s based on a Wels catfish, one of the two indigenous species of catfish in Europe and common in the rivers of Northern Europe (off which the Empire is clearly based) and the Wels is pretty similar to the drawing on page 6, notably the long barbels and the small dorsal fin

Last edited:
Your translation notes are very insightful and I look forward to reading them every chapter. Thanks for the hard work!

I didn't know that trivia about hiyashi chuuka, thanks TL. Lonbaudt saw the sun for the first time thanks to those glasses, the sun being Benedicta. I also expected him to be more of a hard-fisted businessman, seeing how passionate he acted was a welcome surprise.

Aggregator gang
Are you sure the fish they're referring to isn't Bagangan? They're mentioned in chapter 13.
I completely forgot that it was mentioned previously.

Interestingly, the chapter 13 raw does mention bolganga, though it was translated as bagangan. After a little research on bagangans, it seems they're seabreams, sweetlips or snappers, all of which are edible. They don't really fit the description given in the novel. In the raw, it's spelled ボルガンガ (boruganga), so I'm not sure if it's the previous translator wanting to find a more familiar word or if it's just a mistranslation. Hard to say.
One question though, on page 33, Eva said "Hugo was very persuasive" isn't it Lonbaudt who was persuasive?
Yeah, I thought it sounded weird. I just checked the raw and changed the translation.
I couldn't think of the right word for it, but I just changed it. Hopefully, it sounds a little better.

Supporter
Ah, so the dish is just 凉面? Usually my family makes a big tub of it when we go to potlucks, because it can serve as a base for other dishes, but when we eat it at home I like adding sesame paste and chili sauce to mine. Then we eat it with the rest of the dishes we've prepared.

Dex-chan lover
The food looks great, but I am not fond of tomatoes or cucumber 😅

Users who are viewing this thread