Isekai Izakaya "Nobu" - Ch. 85 - Fairy Sending Night

Thanks for keeping up the translations. I really enjoy reading the notes at the end as well. Now I want smores...

Double-page supporter
Things I've learnt this chapter:
There's an 8 year difference between Shinobu and Chef
They are in Kyoto (might have been mentioned before but missed it). I wonder if Gen is based in Tokyo?

When it comes to Yokai's then check out Natsume book of friends, Mushi-Shi and Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Much thanks for the translation! Great work as always!! I also enjoy reading your end notes which is always nice :3

I kind of relate with Shinobu more lol (I have a somewhat sensitive tongue). My parents were more available so we ended up getting more favours with the teachers and our classmates with food and stuff; like being able to bring in boxes of gingerbread for christmas decorating the next day when the original parent admitted they messed up to my parents famous Fried Rice and Chow Mein at our school's chinese cultural festival.

Aggregator gang
It really depends cause some of them are very inconsistent, and there are a lot of entities that fall under the umbrella of how youkai exists but aren't. Most gods are conceived of in similar ways to youkai but a number of them aren't actually youkai but some are. It's easier to think of most of the supernatural characters as "concepts given form" and trying to define youkai in Touhou is like trying to define what is a berry.
Fairies aren't considered youkai in Touhou but are aspects of nature given form. But those who are aspected to seasons, "Letty, Lily, Yuuka", aren't consistent in themselves as Lily is a fairy, Letty and Yuuka are youkai. This is excluding the Aki sisters who are autumn gods of the 8 Million Gods of Shintoism and not youkai. And depending on how a person wants to debate it, Yuuka could very well be a force of nature similar to fairies than a youkai. Who knows at this point.
Then there are the Lunarians (Eirin, Kaguya, Yori, Toyo) who aren't youkai. But the Moon Rabbits, who live on the moon, are youkai.
And it makes even less sense when you start looking through Touhou Lost Word's character tags, which is probably the most comprehentive categorization out there right now, but Lost Word is its own seperate canon and it's tags don't make sense in some places. Like how of all the Tsukumogami (minus Kosuzu, she's just a user of them) are all also one of the 8 Million Gods of Shintoism, but ONLY Kogasa is also categorized as a Youkai. Like, LWpls.
I need to get into Lost World.

But yeah, everything is super vague so everyone has their own interpretation. Yuuka is one of those weird ones whose power is to "manipulate flowers" which makes absolutely no sense, but it's still kinda cool since he's strong as heck.

Daiyousei is one of those fairies who doesn't seem to be related to an aspect of nature like Cirno, Lily (and possibly Lily Black if she actually exists) and the three fairies of light. Daiyousei literally translates to "Big Fairy," but doesn't really represent anything else. If anything, she might be a slightly stronger version of the generic fairies since she doesn't have an official name.

The moon fellas are a whole new breed of weirdos. Kaguya is immortal and Eirin is a god (though idk which one), Tewi is a rabbit youkai and Udonge is an Earth/Moon rabbit who isn't considered a youkai.

I'm gonna go download Lost World now.

Aggregator gang
Uhm, corn IN a fire? Does that not trigger any popping?
I think popcorn is a different species of corn. Something to do with the hardness of the outside shell and the pressure build-up that causes the corn to pop.

I've tried popping regular corn in a microwave before, though I'm an idiot and tried throwing in undried corn before realizing it had to be dried.

Thanks for the scans. A few mistakes here and there, but definitely a lot better than ComicDom. What an inconsistent mess those scans are.

Dex-chan lover
You can always adopt official translation's names and titles (by UDON Entertainment).

Here's some of the examples that I found interesting:

Effa:
kPqBaaB.png

Calling Eva "Effa" is like calling Michael "Micoll". I personally don't like this translation.

Fed-Kun's army
They also do not translate some phrases like "Irasshaimase" but do translate "Chief". In the end, it's your project, so feel free to use your own judgements for what's best.
Ugh. "whatsontap" just feels clunky as all hell.

Dex-chan lover
Ara ara~??? Is that the sound of my ship actually hitting the water??
👀 NobuNobu for liiiiiiife sorry Hans!!
After the restaurant where Nobuyuki was working at started facing financial difficulties, Shinobu's parents arranged for her to marry a banker's son. Either immediately before the omiai, or immediately after the marriage—the subtitles aren't particularly clear on which of it is—she runs away from home just as Nobuyuki is also departing the restaurant to make his own way in the world; the way the scene is framed, it certainly feels like there's something unsaid between them.

Dex-chan lover
Oh boy casual ponytail Shinobu is super adorable. It's nice to see some new locations in the world, super interesting.

Thanks for the chapter :3

Sadly, I couldn't see the notes for the contexts 'cause my internet has been a b*tch. It do be like "Wow, that's some long translator's notes there. Would be a shame if I were to NOT load any of them"

Dex-chan lover
I have a weakness on ponytail. That being said…Shinobu wa, kyou mo kawaii
Fight me if you don’t agree

Dex-chan lover
since we're spoiled with those rapid releases, how far are we still from catching up to publication ? All I can find raw are volumes and they don't say which chapters are in it.

Dex-chan lover
Marshmallows and medieval dental care seems like a dangerous combination
Eh, the fox will sort it out

Users who are viewing this thread