Isekai Izakaya "Nobu" - Vol. 1 Ch. 4 - Little Lady's Request

Dex-chan lover
@Hollow7F A lot of girls in the medieval ages and further back and still in the present times in parts of the islamic world, africa, some mormons and other colonist like religions. Marriage was a way to avoid war, form connections, gain power and more

Dex-chan lover
@liquidxlax : yeah probably a monarch things. Even Japanese royal family are not allowed to marry common civilians. They can but they wont be a part of royal family anymore

i just fucking almost dislocated my neck when i read she's getting married, like hold the fuck up, you're her uncle, be a man and marry instead of her

Gotta love how these cliches persist...
Even in the medieval ages, child marriages were rare in both orient and occident. Normally, nobles'd get engaged as children and marry as adults (which, depending on culture, would be somewhere between 14 and 21 years of age).
The only regular exceptions were orphaned girls, as they'd get the groom's family's protection through the marriage. But even then, it'd be socially expected for the marriage to be in name only until the bride became an adult. Most popular example of this is probably mohammed, who married a girl at 9 years of age, but kept her apart until she was 13. Still makes him a perverted hebephile (especially considering how old he was), but completely different from the "get married at 8 and have children at 10" narrative older history books claimed.
In Japan specifically, girls would live with the groom's family for a period of time prior to marriage, with both sides being able to annul the engagement during this period. I'd guess that's what's going on in this chapter.

I was so confused, I thought she said not rice, soup, etc. But she meant porridge!

Im just confidently ignoring that marriage aspect.

My mum would have slapped that girl because of that stupid request

There were two surprises in this chapter in which both of them is about marriage. The first surprise is in the beginning of the chapter, when the uncle referred to the chef and waitress as husband and wife. The second surprise is at the ending, when the uncle said that the young child was getting married in two months time.
That shit really surprised me.

Dex-chan lover
auth just had to throw in that last line as a sucker punch, would have been just as touching had he just said ”until she grows up” rip

Supporter
Y'all are freaking out. It's actually not that bad.

Her husband is actually a year younger than her. Sure, you can have issues with being forced to marry, and at such a young age, but IMO the biggest issue is usually the implication that the husband is much, much older than the bride which leads to an unsavory power imbalance in the relationship that reeks of exploitation.

This is not the case here. In fact, her husband is a giant cinnamon roll who constants thinks about ways to make his wife happy, despite being only 11 years old himself. His thinking is literally "geez, I'm 11 and married, I guess I gotta make my wife happy because that's how it's meant to be right?" Whoever raised that boy raised him right.

If you doubt me go read chapter 48.

Dex-chan lover
I'm glad the uncle is just a wholesome a man. I'm so used to relatives, especially uncles to be these POS that are only power hungry. I'm glad he just wants to spoil the child

Double-page supporter
There were two surprises in this chapter in which both of them is about marriage. The first surprise is in the beginning of the chapter, when the uncle referred to the chef and waitress as husband and wife. The second surprise is at the ending, when the uncle said that the young child was getting married in two months time.
That shit really surprised me.
Well, child marriage was a thing.
Not too common, but was a thing, especially in tribal relations in more rural areas. No surprise there.

And the uncle thinking the waitress and the chef of the restaurant are a married couple wouldn't be strange either.
It's common that married couples would open a shop together, even nowadays. And given how hard it was to run a restaurant, it's more often than note the people running it was a family instead of hired hands when it's a small business.
They didn't have to be married for real, it's just what the uncle thought after all.

Users who are viewing this thread