Isekai Kenkokuki - Vol. 1 Ch. 1

Dex-chan lover
so far we still have truck-kun but this isekai still feels a bit fresh. Let's see how it turns out

Fed-Kun's army
Isekai First Chapter Scorecard

- 100 pts for Truck Death Trope
- 500 pts for having you character mention his own genre
- 10 pts for having him eat a massive centipede right out the gate by bashing it with a rock off panel even though that centipede of that size could easily wreck a human.
+ 5 pts for Buckbeak
- 5 pts for having Buckbeak speak.
- 10 pts for "Get out of here" then "Hold it right there" then "Answer my riddles three"

Isekai Start Score: Dogshit like most.

Fed-Kun's army
This manga's been on for a long time. Don't know why I didn't try to read it.

Banned
@Drinkfist : Buck-beak was a hippogriff. i.e. Part lion, part eagle, part horse. The horse part is what makes a hippogriff.

This is a griffon calling itself a griffin, presumably because the translator can't tell the difference. If it has any eagle-legs, it is a griffin. If all four of its legs are lion legs, it is a griffon.

Dex-chan lover
Here I go again reading another isekai why do I do this to myself

Dex-chan lover
@SotiCoto
If it has any eagle-legs, it is a griffin. If all four of its legs are lion legs, it is a griffon.

What is this based on? I have never seen a classification like that before. My Wordsworth Classical Dictionary (1996 edition) obviously only has "gryps" and "gryphus" (the English description talks about griffin only), which I assume refer to Greek and Latin forms. Is the definiton you are referring to based on medieval definitions? Apparently as heraldry developed, the folks back then liked to make things more exact.

Banned
@Kaarme : Honestly... just personally accumulated trends....
I just kept track of how frequently the different terms were used relative to the appearance of the creature in question... and "griffon" was used more consistently for the 4-lion-legged variety, while "griffin" was used for the 2-of-each variety more... but I've been seeing less consistent results lately than I used to. And I rarely ever bother with the spelling "gryphon", though I believe that was the original spelling (and I guess could apply to all of the above).
For that matter, I was considering trying to formalise a difference between the griffins with the eagle legs at the front (more common) and the ones with eagle legs at the rear (rarer).... or perhaps figure out some sort of pattern behind the appearance of those ears some of them have, but not others...

I'm pretty caught up on enforcing consistency as regards fantastical fauna, as using the same words to refer to different things all over the place is a fucking nuisance (if people just use whichever fucking word they please, that does NOT aid in communication at all). But in this case I honestly have no better basis than "this is what it seems to be the majority of the time"...
Strangely enough, I've had a fixation on griffons / griffins in particular for a while now... I think it started with Dragon Age: Origins... where the fact that Grey Wardens used to ride griffs became a bit of an in-joke, and I loved pestering Wynne for griff stories and whining that I wanted to ride one... AND THEN in Dragon's Dogma, the griffin there (labelled as a griffon, I believe) turned out to be the most epic fight in the entire game... and I got to ride it. =3

On a tangential note, I don't use the English word "Dragon" for a Long (Chinese) or Ryu (Japanese) either. They're not the same thing, obviously.

Dex-chan lover
@SotiCoto As far as I can see, the different forms (ways to write the name of the beast) are only due to the mix of European languages writing it differently, all the way from Greece and Roman sources. There were times when the aristocracy used French even outside of France when they wanted to look civilised, which could clash with local terminology. Scientific texts were all in Latin for a long time. Eventually serious stuff were written in many other languages as well, but obviously the authors had no particular way of making sure how exactly many names are written, so they could be written as they were written in Latin, French, Spain, German, English, etc, even if the rest of the text itself was otherwise written in a certain language. At some point toward the modern times, dictionaries became more and more available, allowing increasing unification of terms.

In this particular case, I don't think griffon/griffin works as you'd like it to work. For example in German it's "Greif", in Swedish "grip", so the word wouldn't even allow for such a distinction in those related languages.

Banned
@Kaarme : I can't take responsibility for what comes out in other languages I don't even speak (or at least not enough to hold a conversation). My goal here is just to try and prevent terms being used interchangeably without any sort of distinction in English. To that end, I can only regard other languages as an input, not an output (which is to say if they have words for things that we don't, it is fine to just borrow them).

Dex-chan lover
@SotiCoto The problem is that there's nothing to prevent. As it is, it's just two slightly different ways of writing the same thing. If there's any solid difference, it's that griffin, unlike griffon, isn't used to refer to some dog breed in addition to the fantasy beast. I guess that would be the best reason to avoid using griffon when talking about the monster.

Banned
@Kaarme : ... Dog breeds? Okay, you got me there. I don't know anything about any dog breed called that. Why would it be named that? Is there a link?

Dex-chan lover
@SotiCoto https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griffon_Bruxellois

I have no idea why it's called that. But apparently it's an old enough name.

Users who are viewing this thread