Isekai Kenkokuki - Vol. 4 Ch. 28.1

Dex-chan lover
Another story that simply does not understand how weapons or combat works. I mean even if this was all true, why the HELL doesn't he have a metal spear? If you have strength great enough to break your weapons, use stronger weapons. A sword is not stronger than a spear... My understanding at least is that your sword should have broken or deflected from that shield unless its made of garbage. Metal isn't unbreakable and swords are usually pretty thin. You would to poke through shields and armour without deforming the weapon? Use a spike, maybe it works.

Seriously the spear was and is the better weapon and the only reason this story happened is because they had to push a sword in there. I mean if he could get that close with the sword he could have gotten right up close with his spear. Why was her using his spear as a bashing weapon? Get a dam pole arm or club for that. With his strength a metal pole would make more sense.

I mean the best weapon he could learn to use is actually a bow or sling/throw rocks. He has SUPER STRENGTH. So annoying to watch stories not adapt to the reality of their fantasy elements.

At the very least he should have been using custom spear with stronger materials. He could after all handle the weight which is the main reason you wouldn't make weapons out of thicker metals.

MD@Home
hmm, king ferme tell Almus to make Ash happy, but ferme himself want to kill Ash and her family. His personality sure change 180 degrees just in few page

Double-page supporter
Man, I really hope the fighting is done after this. Everything about this war has been so dumb, lol.

Dex-chan lover
oh.....
So it's an "He wasn't so bad after all" ending.
Well, at least it wasn't as bad as naruto..

Dex-chan lover
@Merilirem I mean, you're not wrong, but you also kinda are. At least in this instance. Spears are better than swords in about 80% of situations; the 20% is pretty much just civilian life and/or places where the length of a spear is a hindrance. However, a shield can negate much of a spear's power by allowing the user to deflect the tip (much more reliably than with just a sword) and get inside its range before the spearman can recover (if you're aggressive enough, that is). Funnily enough, while a spear and shield is absolutely fantastic for formation and defensive fighting, it's utter garbage in 1-v-1 situations, because only having one hand on the spear makes it that much harder to recover the spear; this becomes truer the longer the spear is, since all that weight is going to be acting against you.

As to Almus having a metal spear, while it's true that he very likely could handle it, the cost of such a weapon would be ridiculous; part of why spears are the preferred weapon of the battlefield (aside from being good in formations and being very easy to learn) is how cheap they are. You can have a spear anywhere from 6-20ft (2-6m) for basically the same cost, since you really only need about 6-8oz (170-230g) of metal for the spearhead, with wood essentially being free. Compare that to a sword where you'd generally need at least 2lbs (1kg) of steel for just the blade (at least when talking about swords of the size shown in the chapter). Making the spear shaft out of metal would completely negate that and would very likely end up costing more than the sword, because you'd need to heat treat and temper the shaft in addition to the head if you wanted it to be flexible enough to receive a blow without shattering.

As to the sword breaking or being deflected before it could pierce the shield... That highly depends on the actual type of sword. Anything from Type X to XIV? Most definitely deflected or flat out blocked. XV through XVIII (the latter of which is pretty spot on for the sword used by Almus)? That's trickier, because it depends on how well the sword was forged, the thickness of the shield, and whether or not the strike managed to find one of the gaps between the boards; that last is especially important because there's no shield that I know of that's made from a monolithic piece of wood, especially not a scutum like Ferme's carrying.

While he would definitely have the strength to carry one, would he have the stamina? I can't remember if the King's Blessing (I think that's what they both have) grants superhuman stamina or just strength. If it doesn't give any extra stamina, making something stupidly heavy just because you can lift it is not a very good idea if you can't carry it for more than 5 minutes without getting winded (this is also an argument against Almus having an all metal spear, since that'd probably be about 20lbs (9kg) at the least). More to the point, while a monolithic shield would offer the moderate benefit of being sturdier and stronger than wooden slats glued and banded together, it would be a pain in the ass to make and remake every time it got damaged. Shields were typically considered disposable, after all.

Why was he using his spear as a bashing weapon? ... Uh, he kinda explicitly said he panicked and just lashed out. Besides, in a sitting/reclining position like he was in, where the spearhead is off to the side, it's far easier (and quicker) to just swipe with it like he did rather than try and set up a thrust that wouldn't be very powerful.

Sure, mechanically, he would be an absolute beast with a sling, but the power of the King's Blessing is directly proportional to how many people believe in him and call him their leader. This world is still very much in the period of time where honor in battle was stupidly important, as evidenced by the fact that they could reasonably stake the outcome of the entire war on a single duel between leaders. If he's sitting in the back lobbing rocks, unwilling to engage, a lot of people outside his core followers would probably call him a coward, weakening him by a few magnitudes.

You could offset that by giving him a mace or a warhammer, but neither of those weapons was very prevalent or really in much use prior to plate armor being developed; Almus is also very Japanese despite being reincarnated and the kanabo/testubo was pretty much the only real club-like weapon used throughout Japanese history (the yoroi just wasn't sturdy enough to warrant the development of a specialized tool to defeat it, particularly not with the relatively large gaps in its protections), so he may not really be aware of them as a concept. Even if he was, swords have pretty much always been seen as the mark of a leader because of how expensive they were, so they've subconsciously become the weapon of a hero, which would play into his King's Blessing, so it'd be kinda hard to give up that advantage.

Dex-chan lover
@Vincentius
Holy cow. Thank you so much for putting the time and effort into that! It actually enhances my understanding and reading experience, as well as help cover up potential plot holes, such as the Mace or Sling choice. As per mentioned, with his ridiculous strength, a blunt weapon would 100% be the best choice, but the mention of time period, honor, in combination of blessing of the king... it does a really good job of covering bases on "why he doesn't."
I'd also like to give kudos to the fact that the MC hasn't completely modernized the grenade, instead having to rely on a "group the enemy" strategy in order to make full use of explosive pots. Too many isekai's have just given cheats like "buy it from the item shop." I truly love how well thought this series is, but on the other hand, i'm also terrified to see what it will become. With the blessing of Kings, it's unlikely the loveable support cast are going to die unless they need to pull a suicide strategy, or in other words, "bad to worse" situation. I'm also not super keen on reading political strategies in manga. I prefer it being a little more brain-dead, or simple. I think the story is going to be Almus rise to kingship and his struggles in obtaining loyalty, as well as countering other countries. The bigger he gets though, the less optimistic I am to see the simpler time of raising the village of kids... I hope it's a series that, even after it gets to the "big boy politics" part, I can still enjoy it. (sorry for not having refined tastes to read the entirety of Maou Yuusha, which is also an amazing series by the way.)

Dex-chan lover
@JavelinJoe
im guessing your profile name is also showing your bias lol

@Merilirem
im sure he will forge a Katana soon enough, because everyone knows that katanas are the greatest weapon man has ever created.

@MelReinH
Maou Yusha huffs its own farts as much as realist hero does, while the authors pat themselves on the back by info dumping shit from wikis.

Supporter
People talking about about bow arrow/slings.

Even a heavy draw bow would not be of any use for someone unskilled. That`s, assuming that he would not break the bow and/or a bow could be made for someone with his strength, he probably would still very slow and inaccurate.

Using bow and arrow isn`t exactly easy. All in all i think the best weapon for him would be a shield and a mace. Or a shield and a sword with a lot of weight/broader core like a s̶c̶i̶m̶i̶t̶a̶r̶ falchion.
Both styles would require less training than a projectile, like bow or sling, less than a more conventional sword, since the s̶c̶i̶m̶i̶t̶a̶r̶ falchion could be used as a hammer.(Falchion tech)

About the spear: the spear is a weapon with a extremely low skill floor, in a very short time someone get "good enough" with it. Thus why most of the armies before the renascence were heavy users of spears. Levy armies didn't have much time to train so they generally used spear as the main weapon and a short sword/dagger as the "oh shit weapon". Also spears are cheaper.

With that said, why even bother. Just use a 2 hand tower shield and go town.

Dex-chan lover
@boag
Actually it is a name I got a while back when playing Call Of Duty MW2. Although I see how it fits here too. I was more meaning balista grade arrows (bolts?) tend to be sturdier and/or made entriely of metal.

Double-page supporter
yo wtf this made me feel sad for the bad guy at the last moment

Dex-chan lover
hmm... the way they use spears was wrong, spears is not swinging weapons, they are thrusting weapons, and the kings shield was wrong as well, that round thing in the center he pierced is called a boss, it is a domed piece of metal meant to reinforce the shield and protect the users hand/arm that would be located directly behind it, the king's shield by the look of it is a scutum, the MC is by the look of it using a parma.

stabbing a shields boss is just plain stupid, it is by design intended to redirect attacks to the sides by being rounded/domed, even with incredible super strength it would be insanely difficult to thrust thru it, the sword would deflect to the side and either slide off the shield entirely or bend.

and while almus have kendo experience, kendo is purely a martial art meant for sport purpose, it is absolutely, completely and utterly useless in live battle, kenjutsu on the other hand is the japanese martial art for swords used in live battle.

@Divinorium
tower shield is a video game term, real world counterpart is made up by a lot off different shields, the roman scutum is one of them, the Pavise is another.
weapon most suitable for super strength would in my opinion be a larger then normal war hammer or mace (but not to large or momentum is gonna be a bitch) accompanied with a pavise.

Supporter
@theldas oh i know tower shield is a videogame/fantasy term. That's why i suggested a 2 handed tower shield.

Supporter
Of course it wasn't "working" you dumb retard. Yelling "How about the shield!?" then proceed to try to bash your enemy with said shield would obviously hit the enemy

Dex-chan lover
I don't know why you'd try to redeem the bastard at the end.

Dex-chan lover
Like'd it better when the king was mildly toying with him in the first few pages, then things went shitty when it all muddled down with the NIPPONFOLDEDTHOUSANDTIMES kendo step-in technique followed by passing of the will hinting the king wasn't all that bad.
Qite meh chapter.

Users who are viewing this thread