Isekai Kenkokuki - Vol. 6 Ch. 39.1

Dex-chan lover
@LokiAsengott If they keep track of those 200 people, the spy would either reveal him/herself sooner or later, or would be rendered a moot issue after the Dibel family is destroyed in the civil war. In that sense sending them far away from Almus, in a region the spy would know nothing about, could be quite convenient.

Fed-Kun's army
@Miserys_End rape is only rape if you acknowledge it as being rape and not just part of life.
Look at the two points they are contesting, rape and pillaging.
one man's tax, is another man's taking everything from a village and leaving it to die
same with rape, if you make a deal to lower a tax, you made a deal, you may have been coerced into it, but you had a choice and chose what's preferable.
law of the land says ruler can decide to have his way with you, that's the law, and it's now the consequence of living.

you have people viewing each situation as something different, and both being right.

Dex-chan lover
@Miserys_End Well where's your proof then? The historical record has been showing time and again that the references to primae noctis are largely made up, such as by Hector Boece, or primarily in mythology like the Epic of Gilgamesh. And this has been proven by historians searching hard for evidence of primae noctis as a practice, not trying to bury it. The only references found in records kept on serfs from the medieval to renaissance age were that of a marriage tax or permit along with a fee to the church for allowing the couple to skip a waiting period to have sex. We're talking about a time period where some areas decided that hanging women would disgrace them since not all wore underwear and the kicking involved would expose their genitals, so burying alive was the capital punishment instead. You think such a society would just roll over and accept rape as law without any massive uprisings?

And that's without going into the inanity of enacting into law rape, when a nobleman who wants to abuse his peasants could just show up and do it law or not, "Hey you there with the horse shit smeared about your face, no not you, the one next to you, yea I think that's hot. Spread em or die."

And it'd require ignoring that feudal society was held together by relationships with serfs and vassals, that a lord's soldiers would have to be conscripted from people whose wives he has raped or would rape, and thus surrounding himself with angry men with weapons that he's essentially cucked.

Also let's not forget that peasant women aren't exactly hot and lusty like erotic novels depict them as; nobles throughout the period saw them as lower class and peasants are literally covered with shit from livestock half the time and the remaining half is mud from working the fields, with the build and skin of someone working the fields, not exactly a sexy time.

Louis Veuillot, a 19th century historian notes that, "Nothing, absolutely nothing, in the archives of Justice authorizes us to say that our forefathers ever made a crime into a law. If we search the evidence and the literature we find the same silence everywhere. The Middle Ages had never heard of the droit du seigneur." should sum it up perfectly.

Additionally what has been found is the fault mostly lies with the Enlightenment philosophers such as Voltaire who exaggerated the oppression of the serfs and peasantry and charged the nobility and clergy with not only droit du seigneur but also the "right of lounging" and the right to use a peasant's entrails to warm their feet. You want to talk about history being written by those in control, the only accusations of primae noctis had been by Enlightenment scholars while they were in control of the written media.

On a side note, rape is rape no matter what you call it.

No where did I say that rape is not rape, I pointed out that the representative listed them separately likely cause she saw it differently occuring, don't try to misrepresent what I wrote.

Dex-chan lover
@LokiAsengott it would be a cliche only if Dibel was even aware of the MC being a threat at this point.

They also state in the chapter that refugees from Dibel's territory were common even during Asame's reign over the territory.

As far as what we've been shown, Dibel still think's he's got the upper hand since he believes he's still marrying Yuria. And it'd be hard to slip in a soldier or spy given that with 200 people you know your neighbors and with how much they hate serving under Dibel, any infiltrator that's by themselves would've been lynched the moment they were out of Dibel territory. It'd be far easier to slip in a single spy posing as a refugee or a false merchant.

Dex-chan lover
@alidan technically pillaging is more associated with war or a time of conflict so comparing it to taxes is...eh

Fed-Kun's army
@SunSun
Look at it from the prospective of the people who get taxed, what 30% of their harvest and then nickel and dimed for the rest of it. dictionary definition says 'especially in wartime' but not exclusively. I mean, I can say I get taxed because I can easily see where the money goes and some of it benefits me, but if you are decimating places just to enrich yourself, I would find it hard to not call it pillaging.

Dex-chan lover
The people in these comments trying to condone rape make me laugh. You are all a bunch of thirsty idiots. 🤣🤣🤣

Oh, the protagonist is now engaging in human trafficking (I'm absolutely sure smuggling serfs constitutes it). Noice.

Dex-chan lover
@Mangareader @SunSun also small inconsistencies are bound to happen on a large group of people, what matters is that the taxes problem is confirmed and, although no exact crime can be named, they pretty much confirm that there are bad things happening ( probably under the rug, thats why the inconsistency).
Also, can i say that Prima Noctis sounds like a realy stupid thing to do? I mean, a wll trained assassin can take advanrage of that....
( also,pretty bad moraly, didnt mention because its obvius)
Its one of those things that actually barely happened.

Cause it was obviously not christian and the church would punish the ofenders.

Users who are viewing this thread