Isekai Mahou wa Okureteru! - Vol. 3 Ch. 12 - Onwards to a Bumpy Journey II (First Half)

kind of a filler chapter, lots of exposition to basically say, "I'm going to charge ahead, I hate demons." while the MC says, "I'll act like a cautious whimp, when you turn around I'll be confident and edgy."

Dex-chan lover
Just FYI, he's putting up an act around Lefille, this MC is actually a badass cynical asshole. I just wish these monthly chapters weren't so goddamn short!!

Fed-Kun's army
Now we get a glimpse of MC test-firing his magic on demons for effectiveness. Liliana when? {/spoiler]

Dex-chan lover
@PerfectDeath
it's worse in the LN. there for the first couple of arcs, he always discusses the change of formula in magic in this world and his original world, going over great length in the description. great for lore, but tedious at times to read, espescially if that happens in action sequences.

@larcek so there actually is a difference between magic in the two worlds? Because while what you describe sounds bad the manga is worse by completely ignore it and acting like everything is the same.

Double-page supporter
@Gotim18
It's not so much a difference on the basics of magic, but more on who or what they pull magic from and how it is configured, think of non-elemental magic and elemental magic expanded on every single field for one part, like fire = fire element for this world, and fire = redox reaction in Suimei's world ("our world", also something Felminia half realises with her white flame magic, which is, in essence, elemental fire magic combined with oxygen), Both can be combined, but the elemental part is mostly unnecessary under normal conditions, -Massive spoilers ahead-
but in this world the goddess adds a special buff kind of divinity+ which counters the demon's god's buff, this is explained in the next chapter or couple of chapters at the current manga's pace. As for "who" or "what" they pull magic from, in the world they're currently in it all comes from very inefficient incantations and incorrect/absurd verbosity that call upon the world's entities that hold power on specific magics, but the world is so backwaters and underdeveloped that they don't even understand this, and as such they never developed much in this area, only using inefficient magics empowered by the goddess's blessing of elements; on Suimei's world, this has been vastly improved, with lots of I+D+i pourd on discovering where magic comes from and how to invoke it as efficiently as possible with power outputs required for very specific things and/or spells, they deconstruct it so much that even "gods" from which people pulled power from have become mere formulaic words to set into a magic formula, as well as stars, planet positioning, etc. this goes into such development that each magic incantation is especially tweaked depending on your location on the planet, and the movements of rotation and translation of the earth to know exact star system positions and other planets and/or celestial bodies.
Suimei actually has many problems to use his magic correctly since the stars aren't the same, nor does this world have the same beliefs and other stuff as his own, which makes invoking specific magic systems very complicated (a magic system is something like the kabalah system, or the solomonic one). In the end, even with this disadvantage, Suimei has absurd firepower for this world, he's able to stop fighter jets, tanks, and even carpet bombings without as much as breaking a sweat, he has a very hard time pulling the magic system's power efficiently and even then, he's able to basically disintegrate demons simply saying that they seem to be quite durable for being a bunch of slow, stupid and disorganized mass of boring targets, which he seems to enjoy as he can experiment quite well with them since they won't break easily. Oh, and he does mention he is but a middleground magician and nothing special.
The LN explains this and more, to the point that the current world in which they are has magic equivalent to a fireplace vs a multi-nuclear reactor station to produce energy, the level of complexity is orders of magnitude apart.

Dex-chan lover
@larcek Internal monologues usually really bother me, but this LNs didn't, probably because I love comprehensive magic systems. The Nasuverse and Dungeons & Dragons both have rich complex magic systems.

@Antairan Wow thanks for the explanation, I think that alone makes me want to read the LN. Would you recommend it?

Dex-chan lover
His expression on the last panel and the rest of the chapter just feels so out of place

Contributor
@Antairan , This is magic explanation I waiting for... I very interested with LN
Well their magic level is behind comparable with their science civilization, (Magic = Science). Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Explain this very well.
many other isekai manga Dont explain very well scientifically "Magic" and "Origin", Some of them seems cringe chuunibyou level.

@Antairan that was way more of an explanation than I expected but thanks for it, I’m glad to hear the ln expresses exactly the problems I expected given his type of magic system and sad that so far the manga hasn’t shown this at all. I just figured the standard image based magic wouldn’t change but something like his or an incantation type magic system would change since the new world would have differences and different rules to it. Your explanation also shows that his magic system is even more insanely complex than I already thought it was.

Users who are viewing this thread