Isekai ni Tobasareta Ossan wa Doko e Iku? - Vol. 3 Ch. 13 - Ossan Ploughing Fields in The Other World

Dex-chan lover
There are so many protagonists that I wish would take notes from him. Just because you suddenly have power now doesn't mean you should use it to trash people over every little slight.

Dex-chan lover
I'm not sure how the economics of that place work. If the mining business is booming, the mine owners should pay the miners, who in turn will buy local goods and services, and the town becomes prosperous. If that doesn't happen... how do the mines operate? And why is there an influx of people?

Dex-chan lover
page 10*is it true that i am already dead*
is it late to ask that (-__-)

Dex-chan lover
The protagonist is really starting to get on my nerves. I was excited cause he was older, and I thought he'd actually be a smart Isekai'd person. But I feel like the dude is always going through a midlife crisis and is just really inconsistent. It probably has something to do with details being cut from the manga. But it feels more like the brash hot headed guy is the real him, and he just randomly gets weak willed and whinny so that his character has an emotional crisis. Like his downs just come out suddenly and they stick around a bit with some of the weirdest self deprecating arguments. Then something happens and he's ready to go. It's almost like they're trying to force a sort of 'episodic' story telling, but the author just makes up random emotional excuses that make the MC feel like he has to leave.

Dex-chan lover
@AlmondMagnum
@Malaphesto

that wouldn't be the problem they were set to address if it was a system where slaves and criminals where the ones doing the work nor would there be people migrating there for work. The problems is that there isn't circulation of currency. The owners don't have any pressure on them to pay the workers more. Since paying them more doesn't benefit them in an immediate and obvious way as well as the fact that they would have replacement workers without having to improve the conditions, they can keep most of the profits without distributing anything but the bare necessary amount to keep them there to the workers. I'm surprised they actually touched on Third world economics with this...well and American economics at this point as well.

Dex-chan lover
@Meridis
But that's my question: if the pay and conditions are so shitty they die within a few years, why do they come there at all? Is everywhere else somehow worse?

Dex-chan lover
@AlmondMagnum

That's why it's the worlds problem and why it's a problem in our own world. This is likely the way it is all over their world. Work that a peasant could do would almost always low in pay and/or high in hazards. The upper classes don't have incentive to treat them better and would usually collectively agree on lower standards so that they don't lose money trying to out bid eachother by becoming more attractive employers (not that that matters if the workers don't have the ability to freely migrate between new jobs as the search for the better one). It's kinda like how the ISPs in the US got together and agreed to divided up the country into territories between them. It allows them to have a local monopoly and to keep the speeds they provide unusually low for developed countries. In the same token, the people running a mining town have a monopoly on work there. It was like this in the US before as well less then a century ago. Some people still glorify it but it was really nasty. The company that owned the town would often not even pay them real money but vouchers which had to be used in stories also owned by the company, tying them to the location and technically making them serfs. By comparison, here they are able to move to and out of the town but because the work options are so limited and controlled by a group which is paying them so poorly, they are free in name only.

Dex-chan lover
"in another world, i gave people lung cancer" 😗 also isn't it a bad idea to stand under a big tree during a storm? or maybe it's the biggest tree?

@AlmondMagnum

Most peasants leave the farm they were born in because only one son inherits the land. These landless siblings then look for work somewhere, usually a city but mining towns are fine too. Mine owners have no reason to pay the workers more because workers are not paid by how valuable their labor is but by how replaceable they are. Think about it; every dollar the owner pays is a dollar out of his profits regardless of who actually labored to make that dollar. And since there are plenty of landless peasants that will replace his miners he has an incentive to treat them poorly so he can gain higher profits. As for goods and services if the owner doesn't control that then why care? And if does on those goods and services well . . . http://www.pbs.org/tpt/slavery-by-another-name/themes/company-towns/

Dex-chan lover
Of course there is the traditional nude scene after a hot spring appears in the story! Nice that they didn't overdo it though, the juvenile peeking trope gets old! 😅

Aggregator gang
@akabane yes, but its more accurate to say that the fallacious thought that one person or group has any authority over another person or group without their consent is at fault.

inb4 parents have authority over children. Children are not "people" in the fullest sense of the word. They are animals that must be taught to become people. While a parent must exert authority over a child to teach them to become a person and to make decisions for them that they are not competent to make for themselves, a parent does not own a child and cannot morally make decisions that are not related to education or survival.

@captain_crunch Under a tree is bad, but out in the open is worse. Taking shelter in brush/bushes of uniform height (taller than you) is best, assuming you can't get indoors somewhere.

So when's Verdeu going to confront him about breaking his promise to only smoke occasionally and not in front of others? 😅

Fed-Kun's army
Ah yes. The most vial individuals to ever exist.

People you owe money to, how dare they ever ask for it back.

Users who are viewing this thread