Isekai Ojisan - Vol. 11 Ch. 57.5

Dex-chan lover
I never thought about the fact that the Japanese would have problems with roman numerals, but it makes sense, it is literally a whole different writing system.

Dex-chan lover
Who doesn't know how to read roman numerals?
No one claimed they can't read Roman numerals. They said Roman numerals are hard to read. And between MCMXCIX and 1999, I think we can all agree which one is easier to read (hint: if you needed more than 1 second or had to reveal the spoiler, you know it's not the Roman one).

Heck, Roman numerals being harder to read (and to use practically) is the whole reason we're using Arabian numerals now instead.

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
when im in a history discussion forum and some romance language speaker waltzes in and starts saying shit like XVIII Century It makes me want to rip their heads off. Fuck roman numerals.

…so then why use Roman numerals in the first place

Gammon exist all over the world and throughout history, the ancient Romans were probably all "I don't want to use the more user friendly system. It's not  ROMAN ! Reeeeee!" And the mathematicians were rolling their eyes and just pandering to them by rendering the answers in Roman numerals after for a quiet life. Mathematics was all Greek or Arabic so it made sense to use their number systems and notations, but there was probably some real loud mouths who took personal affront to it, despite probably not knowing their way around an abacus.

Same happens today with metric and imperial measurements in the UK and USA. In the UK there were actually people who were so against having metric weights on goods sold (they were allowed to put imperial on as well but only after the metric and not as prominently) that they were willing to take a fine or possibly even serve jail time if they kept at it.

Gammon exist all over the world and throughout history, the ancient Romans were probably all "I don't want to use the more user friendly system. It's not  ROMAN ! Reeeeee!" And the mathematicians were rolling their eyes and just pandering to them by rendering the answers in Roman numerals after for a quiet life. Mathematics was all Greek or Arabic so it made sense to use their number systems and notations, but there was probably some real loud mouths who took personal affront to it, despite probably not knowing their way around an abacus.

Same happens today with metric and imperial measurements in the UK and USA. In the UK there were actually people who were so against having metric weights on goods sold (they were allowed to put imperial on as well but only after the metric and not as prominently) that they were willing to take a fine or possibly even serve jail time if they kept at it.
romanic numerals are for esthetic, it looks nicer when chapters or series of books are with romanic numeral. nobody is using it for calculating. Even in books about history they are using arabic numbers when they're talking about centuries or counting something.

Users who are viewing this thread