Itai Onee-san wa Suki Desu ka? - Vol. 2 Ch. 31 - Painful Self-deprecation

Dex-chan lover
@Khrysaor Late 20s & 30s are only considered "too old" in Japan for women—the reason is misogyny. Japan is, unfortunately, a really misogynistic country still. It's very much ridiculous.

@Mielly Elderly people work for a variety of reasons: some simply enjoy working, but prefer a job that isn't as stressful as office work. (Janitorial work isn't fun for most, but it's also not stressful.) Often that's the only kind of work they can find, because age discrimination is very real. (They won't hire them for other jobs because they assume they'll retire and/or die soon.) Some need to work because they don't have enough savings/retirement income to live off of. Some do it so they have extra income to spend on themselves or (often) relatives, especially grand-kids and great-grand-kids. And some do it because they're bored. My grandfather did that, getting a job as an usher at the funeral home even though he didn't need the income. (He also was able to pre-pay for his eventual funeral at a hefty discount while being an employee there, saving him money and making sure his family didn't have to worry about paying for the funeral when he eventually died. Funerals are expensive, my mom died this summer (not from COVID-19) and it cost nearly $10k USD even though we did everything possible to keep costs down.)

Also your assertion that no one cleans floors for fun is incorrect. My grandmother enjoyed housework, to the point where she'd start cleaning my apartment when visiting if given the chance. One notable time she and mom arrived really early and had to wait for me to take a shower. She started washing dishes while I was in the shower. It may be uncommon, but it happens.

And they shouldn't be laboring? They absolutely shouldn't need to for survival, but if they want to for whatever reason then they damn well should have the right to do so. Along with the above, other reasons for going back to work exist. It's not uncommon for people to feel useless/worthless after retiring, and getting a job to feel useful again can be vital for their mental health. I'd much rather a 75yo work as a janitor than end up committing suicide because they feel worthless to society. (This really happens.) A similar thing happens when a spouse dies, as they feel lost without them. I'd much rather they get a job to fill their days than sit at home depressed over the loss of their spouse. This can lead to early death, not necessarily from suicide but just because they lose their will to live. It's very common for the surviving spouse to die within a few months of their spouse's death.

Dex-chan lover
@manabi Do not feel obligated to answer if all you have to give me is a bunch of lukewarm "what if", very naïve to say the least. No one indeed cleans floors for fun, as a full-time job of course. And even in the case of your grandmother, the feeling of doing things for her family is what's at stake here, I'm pretty sure she never would have gone to strangers to clean their floors. Regarding your grandfather, I'm guessing he chose to keep working because his work is 100% something he enjoys, and I can guess he has no direct hierarchy or quotas to meet, and no strenuous physical work involved. Physically demanding and ungrateful jobs like janitor, warehouse or factory worker are difficult eough for people during the mandatory time for them to continue after retirement.
I'll be kind enough to give some advice: if you wanna argue, try not to rely on anecdotes but on more general facts. I personnally don't really care about your little family stories, especially when Google can confirm Japan indeed has indeed taken action to force people to stay in the workforce as long as possible.
@dojinshi Headcanon need not apply. Unless specified otherwise, this lady isn't working as a janitor for fun. Retirement can sure be boring at first, but most people realize they finally have the time for all sorts of activities now that they have free time: a lot of volonteering at charities is done by retirees, most neighborhood councils, city citizen commitees, etc. In fact a lot of the local political life is made of retirees or self-employed people. Your false dilemma "hustle as a janitor or die of boredom" is simply ridiculous. And like above, your naïve "what if she does it for fun" don't have much weight to them now that we know Japan's senior citizen are indeed more or less forced into work by measly benefits.

Dex-chan lover
@Mielly Dude, you are absolutely toxic and now on my block list. Just because you don't like people pointing out that reality is different than you think it is doesn't give you the right to talk down to people.

Dex-chan lover
I was gonna talk about how Itai wouldn't be able to survive if she hopped on the self-deprecation train herself, but where the fuck did this argument about elderly people and work spring from?

Dex-chan lover
@Mielly Headcanon need not apply. Unless specified otherwise,
we don't know that this lady is forced to work for measly benefits or that she is working to secure those benefits solely. "most" is not all and you dont know anything about this old ladys life, plain and simple.

Gonna stop this overcumbersome discussion for an old lady that appeared for 3 pages smiling like the sun in every single page now.

@Tersione someone was outraged by the idea of an old lady doing something as criminal as cleaning and I decided to respond, then others joined, now it became a bit of a shit show...happens sometimes

Dex-chan lover
@Lotvk Already have a few regional titles in three different martial arts, you can keep your fitness routine.
@Damoon I can see yours too, you're not subtle in the least.
@dojinshi You have competition, but you're definitely one of the most dishonest and ignorant people I have ever argued with. Take that L and go back to your little bubble where people work as janitor for fun at 75 years. And be careful not to stumble over any press articles or economic analysis about Japanese retirement system being gutted, it'd be such a pity to let facts destroy your little make-believe.

Dex-chan lover
@manabi Late 20s and 30s are considered "old" for women worldwide, because of fertility, not misogyny. When you reach that age and see childless women around you change in their behaviour, you'll get it. If you are at that age and have not seen (or felt) it, don't take that as condescension. I legitimately don't think it would be possible to not notice.
Also, most people begin to think about their mortality from the age of 25. The "quarter-life crisis" is a legitimate phenomenon, because by age 30 if you have no children or a career path, your chances of achieving either are slim.
This is in fact the entire point of Itai-san's character. At 26 she is approaching the critical point of no return, where fertility is falling off a cliff and her chances of a romantic relationship are getting slimmer. And to top it off, she's in a dead-end office job where the expected escape route is either marriage or death, something exemplified by her older co-workers who are bitter and cynical.

Anyway, a pretty funny chapter relating to how age breeds resentment, denial, and acceptance.

Mnx

The cleaning lady is so absurd@@@ hahaha i hope i age beaurifully like that lol 🤣🤣🤣

Users who are viewing this thread