Itai Onee-san wa Suki Desu ka? - Vol. 2 Ch. 31 - Painful Self-deprecation

Dex-chan lover
@Mielly Granny might be a victim hiding her tears behind a mask of smiles.

I'm just posting because I wanted an opportunity to mention a local Japanese retired granny who ran a sushi shop on daytime mostly for fun (set her own hours etc.) just to while the days away while (similarly retired) hubby was out golfing every day.

And that the biggest problem for lonely retirees in the industrial world is just that, loneliness. So if one manages to get a job (or more likely, hold on to it through some part-time deal even after retiring) there's plenty of retired people who come back just to have some semblance of the the daily routines they've spent 50 years or more perfecting..

(Now, a cleaning lady is probably the most unlikely pick though, since that's usually a job that wears you out if you've done it for 50 years, so she's probably been something else most of the time, like a housewife. So your suggestion that this particular person is probably doing it because she must, rather than because she wants, is likely to be more right than wrong. Still, if her hubby died and she got a suggestion and an opportunity to get out of the house and do some cleaning to make ends meet.. she might still be happy about it.)

Dex-chan lover
@Simpleton Note that in your example, the lady in question runs the sushi shop, in opposition to being a simple worker subjected to hierarchy. Of course there'd be nothing particularly surprising for an independant craftsman to keep working. Working a low-paying hard job like cleaning floors is only done if you have no other choice. In the presence of overwhelming proof that the current Japanese economy is actively cutting back retirement benefits, this argument is over. I'm not "more likely" to be right, I am.

Contributor
The comment section for this chapter was hilarious lol.

Well, unless explicitly stated otherwise in the manga, I will keep on thinking the granny is just doing a simple part-time job she can do to pass her free retirement time while sharing occasional wisdom with other coworkers. Also, Japan sure is quite, uh, extreme when it comes to women and age. It's quite shitty for women over 25 there who are still unmarried and without children as they are considered 'Christmas cakes' and already 'too old'. That mindset has slowly started to change but it's still prevalent in most areas and business world. :/

Thanks for the chapter!

Dex-chan lover
I bet the thermostat is fake, too. Thanks for the translations!!! 📚📚📚

Not sure how it is in Japan but old janitors are still common here in the states. At least here in PA. Kinda confused why there's people freaking out over old people still working? I work with an inspector well into her 70s.

Dex-chan lover
Huh... Wait, I have a bruise on my leg that won't go away after weeks, why do I feel a midlife crisis coming all of a sudden?

Users who are viewing this thread