Ive had to do about 20 CAPTCHAS just today...

Custom title
Staff
Developer
I don't think I've ever had to do more than one captcha a day and I don't really know why you'd need to do much more. Must be something about the connection or maybe even the browser as well, I suppose.

People who are having this issue, any idea what might be causing it to you? Are you on a mobile or shared connection, for example? Using Tor or a VPN? Does it happen regardless of the browser? Could it be some browser extension or antivirus interfering? Are you sure the problem isn't that your computer is infected and has gotten redflagged as a result?

Basically, do some testing to see if you can rule out the causes. Try different browsers, connections and machines, whatever you can.

Tracker blocking extension like 'privacy badger' might caused it. If Google can't track you or steal your private data, its goes crazy and throws a tantrum with captchas.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
To be fair, if Google can't track you, it can't know who you are and has no choice but to give you another captcha.

Power Uploader
@teasday

It's been a lot better the last few days, but last week was just horrible. I don't know if you guys changed something, but I was doing a Captcha every 30 min or so, and I had to solve 2-5 Captcha's each time.

Edit: I use Firefox and uBlock. I generally use a VPN, so I understand that I'll be Captcha'd more than the average user, but no other Captcha enabled site has ever hit me anywhere as hard as mangadex did last week. Disconnecting from my VPN didn't improve things much either (I'd get hit every 60 min instead of every 30).

I will say that the Privacy Pass extension helps a lot. It makes you do something like 10x Captcha's in a row, but once you complete it you get 30x "tickets" and every time you would normally have to do a Captcha, instead it just uses one of the tickets.

Privacy and security are way way waaaay more important than Manga. If I need to give Google all my info just to browse a site, I'll just say "no thanks" to that. Lol.

For me, I can clearly say the problem first occurred when I started testing google's re-captcha v2 on my own site. After 100 or so failed captchas on my site as I tested different features, I stopped getting checkboxes.... everywhere. Mobile connections are fine, My hell only exists at home which has a static IP.
I don't blame them for thinking I am a bot. My parents thought so at first too.

I have a pihole hosting DNS with unbound and a somewhat customized switch-stack with some layer 3 routing going on, but if Cloudflare thinks that makes me suspicious (probably because of the DNS filter more than anything else), that's really a problem with Cloudflare.

Their detection mechanism is clearly flawed, probably overly simplistic and definitely way too broad, pulling in all kinds of false positives and just encouraging people to find alternatives that aren't bringing down a hammer on folks who aren't part of a norm unless they set all their routers in bridge mode.

I don't think I've ever had to do more than one captcha a day...
Second to this.
From the experience mentioned above, it is possible that it came from VPN - most likely.
I don't use VPN so there's no problem. I usually only have to do a captcha when I googling for something with a short span of time.

I think DNS filtering is a more likely cause, but really who knows, the mechanism triggering this behavior from Cloudflare is not exactly transparent.

Users who are viewing this thread