Jii-san To Baa-san Wakagaeru

Dex-chan lover
My main gripe is that there's absolutely no indication in their demeanor that the two were once elderlies, considering that maturation with time should remain unchanged despite physical transformation.. Say, if i cut out all the panels with their old forms then show this manga to someone else, nobody would even doubt that these two are ever beyond their mid-twenties. I enjoy the meme value of the premise, but the premise itself seems to have been forsaken in pursuit of cheap fanservice. Of course, I'm all for fanservice and can read manga about flirting couples all day, but it's truly a waste to virtually abandon a perfectly workable premise.

@tblst
My main gripe is that there's absolutely no indication in their demeanor that the two were once elderlies, considering that maturation with time should remain unchanged despite physical transformation.. Say, if i cut out all the panels with their old forms then show this manga to someone else, nobody would even doubt that these two are ever beyond their mid-twenties. I enjoy the meme value of the premise, but the premise itself seems to have been forsaken in pursuit of cheap fanservice. Of course, I'm all for fanservice and can read manga about flirting couples all day, but it's truly a waste to virtually abandon a perfectly workable premise.

That's kind of the point. A lot of how people behave is due to the effects age has on the body. It's not like there's a lot they can do to show they were formally geezers in ~5 pages a chapter anyways. Between the clothes, mannerisms, and habits the author is still making some very clear efforts to show that they might look twenty but they definitely grew up in another era.

Dex-chan lover
@Urabask What you mentioned still pertains to biological aging albeit its influence on the mental processes and behavior; my concern lies specifically with the effect of having an extended life experience. Mannerism and clothes reflects a temporal setting but not really the passage of time; it does not conceptually differentiate a supernatural age regression story like this one from historical fiction or time-travel, and the discordance of having an old mind within a young body is really what sets an age regression premise apart from others. I do agree that the manga is too short to capitalize fully on the premise, but my gripe was merely directed to the matter of focus. I had simply hoped for more "elderly couple dealing with with their newfound youth" instead of fanservicey drama which could be similarly found in other short romcoms.

Idk the dads got a pretty squared up head since being a child. Doesnt seem to have any of their features and hair colour isnt of any of theirs. Im assuming hes adopted.

@tblst:
What you mentioned still pertains to biological aging albeit its influence on the mental processes and behavior; my concern lies specifically with the effect of having an extended life experience.

You can't separate the physical and mental effects of aging from that part of the plot. It makes sense that a character that has a younger body will act younger than their actual age before they became younger.

Mannerism and clothes reflects a temporal setting but not really the passage of time; it does not conceptually differentiate a supernatural age regression story like this one from historical fiction or time-travel, and the discordance of having an old mind within a young body is really what sets an age regression premise apart from others.

You've got a 20 year old guy dressing like he's 80 and playing croquet ffs. If that's not showing a disconnect between mental and physical age nothing will.

I had simply hoped for more "elderly couple dealing with with their newfound youth" instead of fanservicey drama which could be similarly found in other short romcoms.

If anything I think the most problematic part of the plot is that they've had no problems proving their identity. Most of the issues with suddenly being younger would arise from the fact they clearly aren't the same age as any ID they'd have. They might even have to give up their house and assets to their children. I think the author is assuming that readers are willing to put up with the necessary suspension of disbelief to avoid having such a dark subplot.

Omg why are people overanalyzing mangas????? Is it because it Christmas break and people got nothing to do? Ive been seeing these on a lot of mangas lately

Fed-Kun's army
There's nothing wrong with over-analyzing manga
Change my mind

Users who are viewing this thread