Jingai Hime-sama, Hajimemashita ~Free Life Fantasy Online~

Dex-chan lover
@Sorryexe
The shonen and should tag isn't about the main character it's about the aimed demographic

Shonen is aimed at male teenagers and young adult, should is aimed at female teenagers and young adult

Shoujo manga mainly contain romance or various aspect more popular for female fans

Since this manga is a treaty guro and fan service then the shonen tag is fitting

Dex-chan lover
Is swxual violence and casual molesting gonna be a thing in this manga?

Just asking as a pervert

thx for ur help but just because of fan services it aimed male teenagers/young adults so that mean every man are seeking ass and boobs in a manga. for my opinion is weird but as you said the tag is fitting

Guessing the one english person translating this dropped it? since there's like 17 chapters out

@Trapcard113
You bet it is. When I saw that there was a manga adaptation, I was like "YOOO I CAN READ THIS WITH PICTURES NOW!"
But then the guy that was creating it was like "I'm horny and I don't want to read the entire WN... So I'll change almost everything" and that's criminal to make it so good looking and butchering the source material so much.

Adaptation is fine you see. It's just that when the person adapting visibly never read the source material and change it for the worst... Yeah nah.
That describes my reaction to this almost to a T. I just caught up to the LN translation (Vol. 2 currently for Eng), and I saw it had a manga so I got excited to see more of the scenes illustrated, but instead it's just a completely different telling of the same basic story with character lookalikes and needless extras.

Such a disappointment. Highly recommend anyone interested in this find the LN/WN instead.

Huh, I took a look at the manga after reading the LN, thinking that it'd be neat to see what her fighting actually looked like since she usually kind of glossed over it in her internal narration, but... I have to say, the manga feels like it's almost a different story. And not in a good way. The choices of what to omit and what new elements to introduce border on the bizarre, and almost feel like they constitute character assassination at times.

The very first chapter kind of highlights the issue... In the LN, Anastasia was interested in FLO from the start - she'd followed the beta testing and was interested in the idea, though she hadn't yet sprung for a copy herself; her sister had picked up on this, and pulled some strings to get her an extra copy so they could play together from the start. In the manga, by contrast, it feels more like she's pushed into this by an overeager younger sister, going into the game knowing absolutely nothing. This takes the plot element of "I want to play something different, and I'm willing to risk needing a reroll to make it happen", and instead turns it into "I care so completely little that I'm not even paying attention to my character creation".

We see this trend continue at pretty much every point where her natural curiosity was highlighted and rewarded in the book:

When Anastasia treated the NPCs like you would an advanced AI instead of part of the scenery, she was rewarded with special access to otherwise locked town areas, cooking recipes, and hints as to developing quests that suggested they were on a time limit. This was key to a lot of her atypical progression, and was a difference between her and other players highlighted early on in the book, where she found the town was considering banning Outsiders entirely because of how poorly behaved some players were... But it's entirely absent from the manga. Indeed, we instead see a stereotypical NPC gate guard highlighting how NPCs usually aren't worth talking to.

We also see her tinkering with her skills and settings in the book - activating her Royalty Assist to be more princess-like, and starting up a stretching routine in hopes of compensating for her undead problems, both things that paid off heavily with her defensive skills and which made her a top player. These were almost entirely omitted from the manga, reduced to a brief note about how she's better suited to dodging than defending - without mentioning that she chose to keep practicing her blocking when she could afford to regardless of that fact.

We also see her deep-diving into her hobbies, focusing almost exclusively on cooking at times. Here, it takes a tiny fraction of the spotlight it was granted in the books.

And it also completely glossed over her early disadvantages:

She burned through all of her starting money on death penalties, saving only a token sum of money by the fact that she hadn't spent her premium ticket - because the only other thing it offered was potions that were useless to her. And even that was a boon, because the undead risk permanently losing limbs every time they die after level 10; her zombie strategy would have been completely impossible if she'd spent any reasonable amount of time leveling instead of solving the puzzle.

And zombies moved slow. She wasn't exploring some massive labyrinth; her character just moved so danged slow that it took her days to navigate a pretty small area.

And she could get levels quickly by ambush tackling her fellow zombies, but... At the cost of not actually earning skills, which were more important to the game. Most of her good skills actually came from turning the random trash she'd learned into hard-to-unlock skills in her rebuild.

The manga leaves you feeling like she was playing an overlooked gem, instead of the exercise in masochism that miraculously paid off that it actually was.

But hey, in fairness, some things are better suited for a manga, and some better suited to a book. Not everything needs to cover the exact same material; Anastasia talking to herself about skill builds would likely be pretty boring in a visual medium.

The problem is, it doesn't feel like it followed that logic at all; if it was trying to play to its strengths, I'd have expected exposition to be cut in favor of eye-catching fighting scenes. Or maybe drooling over her cooking, food's popular too. Or, hey, it's a zombie manga; maybe some repulsive rotting corpses. Instead we get...

...A repeated fake-out to the introduction of a manga-only side character? Who does absolutely nothing but be vaguely annoying at all times, while making you wonder why nobody else in the game has an AI companion? Why? If you don't want her monologuing, have her look up the BBB or talk to her sister or... Something. There's a ton of less-disruptive ways to cover that role.

And the two undead Being Vague In A Tavern... When literally nobody could have heard about an "undead princess" yet because she'd never left the catacombs... And it's covered in the manga that they can't eat or drink... And it's a plot point that without any players interested in cooking, the only thing to eat is nasty field rations...

And you could instead be talking about how unfairly hard the field bosses are that are crippling everyone's access to character progression because they can't buy decent weapons and are running out of medicine. Something that would actually advance the story, and justify switching perspectives since Anastasia's not paying attention to that, being locked in the catacombs.

It leaves the feeling that whoever handled the adaptation just didn't recognize the importance of what they were cutting, because they cut it out in favor adding things that actively worsen the story. Any one of those things could reasonably be cut as a trade-off for focusing on something that could be better done in a manga... But it would still be a trade, and here they traded it for Decomposing Body.

Fed-Kun's army
Honestly this manga kinda sucks, the LN is way better, i'd recommend everyone reads that instead

Dex-chan lover
Sad to see that the old chapters haven't been updated to the uncensored version.

The assistant is so fuckinguseless can't even tell what is a portal or the difference between a NPC and a player author pls cut your balls off and eat them

Dex-chan lover
The cover already updated to volume 10, while we are still stuck on vol 2

Dex-chan lover
I'm gonna rant.

I read the WN, I fairly enjoyed it. It was better than I thought. Really good. I recommend. 8/10

That manga adaptation tho? HAH!
It doesn't feel right at all. It changed a lot of things, added a useless help character, put even more ecchi stuff (okay, I'm not that annoyed about that but still) and... Where's the explanation about... You know... The character creation system, the human/inhuman races and their possible starting point, the skill and point system, the evolution system, etc...

Spoiler time :
For those that never read the WN or LN, she was the one that chose to start as a zombie because she was drawn to that race more than the other human and inhuman races. Hell, even the plot says that she CHOSE to be a zombie, she wasn't forced to GOD DAMNIT!

It is considered more difficult to use because some inhuman races got clear disadvantages, like not being able to talk (which is extremely important for the NPCs), being animals or even plants, etc. In exchange for clear disadvantages early game, they receive the ability to evolve and become stronger faster, can change their abilities and some can even get extremely rare evolutions.

Now, as to what happened next, she chose herself to start in the catacombs because zombies starts with an horrible rotting smell (and beast people or animals have enhanced smell so you understand), a weakness to the sun and their rotting bodies.

She learns how to use the skill system that can add up to her already low stats and become stronger everyday.

Do you realise how much info got cut and changed? All that was from the first and second WN chapters. And the manga changed all that with a "Bug". And I won't talk about the fact that she seems like a battle junkie when in the LN, she's calm and doesn't really like beating the shit out of people. She even refuses to take part in a tournament later in the story even with her power that was already at that moment pretty impressive.

It's not a good adaptation so far of the LN/WN and that's already bad in itself. Now, I'm gonna read a bit when it will be translated but that's not good.

Really, if it was just a stand alone manga, not adapted from an already existing WN/LN, it might be decent, heck even good. The art is actually beautiful, really impressive. But when you come from the WN and you see a totally different story that doesn't even try to explain even 1/5 of what the WN showed us... It's gonna be a "No" from me.

I'm just putting a 6. Waiting for more chapters and maybe changing my opinion later on.
i agree with you for the most part here but tbh them changing her to a battle junk is a good change IMO very refreshing

Users who are viewing this thread