JK Haru is a Sex Worker in Another World - Vol. 2 Ch. 5 - Operation Nyan Nyan

Dex-chan lover
@Mira995

She gains the powers and skills off all the people she has sex with. At this point in the story she's probably the strongest character already. But she doesn't reveal it because in this misogynistic world, if she reveals her powers, she'll make everyone her enemy. No guy is gonna accept that a woman is stronger. If that happens, Haru would have to beat everyone and basically take over the world like some sort of demon lord. She doesn't want to do that. She just wants to live as normal life as she can.

Fuckkkkk yeaaaaa
Flustered soft oji-san ( ´ ▽ ` ) ~
I’m excited for the next chap
10/10 Haru is a badass bitch

Group Leader
@Mira995 I take a different view of why Haru doesn't start, uh, doing spoiler stuff.

Her narrative role is a direct contrast to Chiba: He goes from the social outcast into what he views as a video game world where he understands the rules and, courtesy of the buffs he has, gets to play RPG World Protagonist. She basically says "Screw that, I just want to live as a normal person, on my own terms.", which, given the structure of the world (regardless of whether it's contrived or not), is a pretty lousy hand she's dealt, but she doesn't want to play by the rules the god set forth. It's rooted in the semi-common VRMMO-isekai theme of "Are the random people NPCs or people?": Chiba views the world they're in as a game to be played by him, Haru views the world as just another place to try to live what life you can.

Her abilities only get revealed/utilized at the end for spoilerific issues that have been beaten to death elsewhere* when she's pissed and pushed into a corner (which I personally find to be a cheapening of the entire story, but oh well).

If I recall the scene correctly, Chiba's breakdown pretty much supports that outlook--

He's got ridiculously strong innate defenses and a huge xp boost which makes him unusually strong since he's outlevelled everybody in his arena tier... but he's got an absurdly low level cap... which basically makes him start complaining about how the world's unfair to the protagonist (yes, he actually calls himself that multiple times), she's just a secondary character in his story, it's too tough to raise your stats by something like exercise, and generally acts like a prick.

One of her friends is effectively date/gangraped to death.

If funny how people try to defend the MC, when she is as shit as the otaku Guy.

Dex-chan lover
@1idd0kun she yearned for his protection, not romance, even though that's a situation she herself put herself on. She lamented about the treatment of women in this world and how they are forced into these lines of work, she's not at the point in the story to have convenient mysterious power, yet, she can't just kill anyone or do anything else other than prostitution, as she have mentioned herself. She's the one who push him away, give him the cold shoulder, hoping for him to leave her alone. Only when she's in trouble of her own fault that she thought about him and looking to him for protection. She expects him to read between the line, to be there when it's convenient. Of course he's full of shit, but she is full of shit herself. I love her because she's not the typical can't do no wrong or badass female protagonist at this point. She's like us, self-centred, arrogant, dismissive.

Dex-chan lover
@duylinh "she yearned for his protection"

No she doesn't.

"she's not at the point in the story to have convenient mysterious power"

I already read the novel and let me tell you you don't know what you're talking about.

Dex-chan lover
@1idd0kun GREAT, no she doesn't. Let's bin your novel because it doesn't matter. This is how the story is told "NOW". IF she can kill them anytime but she doesn't, why is she complaining about him not being here to bail her? Why is she annoyed at the fact that he promised he would help her but he's not here right now? I think I can make criticism about the story with that story's niggle, but the current flow of story is different and retrospective perspective should supplement or shift the old parts, not contradict it. Well, I can't be bothered since you already read the novel but can't discuss any of my point.

Dex-chan lover
@duylinh "why is she complaining about him not being here to bail her?"

She's just pointing out that he's useless and full of shit. There are some good male characters in this series but Chiba is not one of them. He's a piece of shit who only thinks about himself.

Dex-chan lover
@duylinh
It’s kinda obvious even without reading ahead. For the most part, Haru’s just complaining. Like most teenage girls would when things don’t go their way. Edit: Nay, like any reasonable person when unreasonableness and unfairness shows its ugly face.

Even if she could kill that guy, he’s the son of a very powerful guild master in town. Even if they couldn’t harm Haru in retaliation directly, they’re clearly strong enough that very few people would even want to go to war against them. To act selfishly now would put everyone at the brothel at risk. Therefore, Haru cannot intervene more than she already has, as what she’s been doing has been within the rules of what’s socially acceptable, even if the way she and others are being treated is clearly immoral or unethical to us. This misogynistic world has rules that Haru regrettably has to play by.

That’s why, it’s a different case if someone else were to come to her rescue, because the police or army certainly won’t. Chiba self-proclaims himself as the most reliable person around, but aside from contributing to sales, he’s effectively useless. He’s never there to walk the walk, never around when he’s really needed as a “reliable man to protect me”. As a man in that world’s society, Chiba has strengths on virtue of being male that Haru doesn’t have. In Haru’s mind, he’s someone somewhat useful to keep around, but that usefulness is never utilized due to how unreliable he is.

To begin with, Chiba only fights weaker opponents he knows he can defeat— the last page refers to how even if he came to her rescue, he only has the mental capacity to take the most savage, barbaric, extreme answer, much like how he ruthlessly crippled his attacker for life, and had almost no qualms killing him, nor would he feel remorse or guilt for doing it. Were either of those options to be applied to someone like a guildmaster’s son, who actually holds enough notoriety where other adventurers that might be strong enough to pummel him voluntarily choose not to intervene, it would be nothing but trouble.

Chiba, who only thinks about himself and his needs, is not qualified to skillfully diffuse this situation peacefully. Haru is merely lamenting that that useless otaku was the most reliable person she could... well, rely on, in this very specific situation. A lot of people could easily kill people that give them trouble. Imagine if Donald Trump just killed off any reporter he didn’t like, instead of accusing them of fake news and attacking them. Just because people are strong enough to kill people that trouble them, doesn’t make it any less socially acceptable.

Dex-chan lover
Just bought the novel. Chiba's not that bad, but where he is right now, he's definitely a piece of shit.

It's a little pitiful when he realizes that Haru is the protagonist. He's just a tag-a-long, an accident. If destiny was a thing, it was Haru's destiny to get hit by that truck. His attempt to save her couldn't change that fate, it just dragged him along for the ride.

Group Leader
@Talismaster Oh, he gets so much worse than where he is right now. Did you get v2 (Summer) too? The whole truck scene turns into even more of a facepalm with the added details.

Dex-chan lover
@Harvester
Ah, Summer? Yup, bought that too.

It’s weird seeing him be the straight man to Kizuna. I wanna know more about her. It was weird, seeing her be borderline antagonistic, then practically fawn over or get possessive of Chiba.

Over all, since that Re:Zero poppybat blood scene built up towards cheering up Mama at the end, I see him in a slightly better light. He’s still an ass, and never available when needed. Nice to see his ego slightly deflate over how it doesn’t take another world to change a person. Although, I’m not sure if his ego reinflated with his new goal.

Hell, caught me off guard when the guildmaster’s son showed up and cleaned up the house since he was feeling... nostalgic? Reminiscing about you-know-who?

Dex-chan lover
@Harvester "Did you get v2 (Summer) too? The whole truck scene turns into even more of a facepalm with the added details."

Chiba was so creepy in that scene. He was basically a stalker. And he tried to save her only because he wanted to gain Haru's gratitude and attention. He's so selfish and delusional is hard to believe some times.

Lol people really reading this thinking it should follow all the regular tropes they're used to. Haru and Chiba;s personalities suck sometimes that to be expected since they were made to portray realism to a certain extent. real humans suck sometimes im sure we all know this.

Users who are viewing this thread