JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 9 - The JOJOLands - Ch. 13 - "The Absurd Event That Happened to Me That Year"

Fed-Kun's army
Absurdity huh. Does anyone know what the Japanese word/phrase was before being translated to "absurdity"? I feel like this will be one of the themes driving this Jojo.

Fed-Kun's army
Absurdity huh. Does anyone know what the Japanese word/phrase was before being translated to "absurdity"? I feel like this will be one of the themes driving this Jojo.
definitely related to the concept of miracles and calamities from part 8, and the greater concept of 'systems' introduced in this one. maybe 'absurdities' is meant to describe events that don't fit in any systems. they don't count as miracles or calamities they're just completely outside occurrences

Power Uploader
Probably one of the most intense scenes Araki wrote, definetly up there. Jordio is also certified stone cold killer, if not for bird, those kids would've be done in that bus.
Also intresting that "everything stands in a way" for Charmingman to reach his destination, right?
Thanks for translation!

Dex-chan lover
Doesn’t exactly help that Dragona is trans, or at least genderqueer (at least, that’s what I could surmise from the chapter). And there is a long history of people bullying anyone who doesn’t perfectly fit the gender binary.
This chapter seems to imply he's a man initially, then somewhere down the line transitioned. That bullying incident had nothing to do with gender, just the usual power intimidation and teenage cruelty.

Dex-chan lover
That's... not how insurance companies work in the states, Araki. But what the hell do I know.

Fed-Kun's army
The Flow of Calamity sure is Absurd

Edit: JoJo's Absurd Adventure

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
i get why the sa scene is here, it's not completely useless like the one in chapter one. but i think its unecessary to go into that much detail. 4 pages of a 14 year old being sexually assaulted and physically harmed was not needed.
for sure, but you must've missed Steel Ball Run then, if this is shocking. I mean, this is still shocking, but, not out of left field either

Dex-chan lover
end of this manga jodio and friends will be like this i hope
0*x_RxdmNEZYuwv2Ko.gif

Dex-chan lover
"That Lava contains Natural Laws of the World"

Eagerly awaiting further developments from that rock besides money magnet. I'm sure Rohan willed it to: "go on adventures with Jodio and then return back to me" and acquire material for manga stories

Dex-chan lover
I’m starting to suspect the story will revolve around taking possession of that land and it’ll literally be the JOJOLANDS

I can even imagine them going on the defensive against invaders climbing the mountain.

This chapter was straight up INSANE, but I still liked it! I love how Charmingman is an official ally now. I wonder if Meryl Mei also has a stand. And Howler is the main antagonist group now, huh? I wonder if Josuk8 will show up again.

Fed-Kun's army
for sure, but you must've missed Steel Ball Run then, if this is shocking. I mean, this is still shocking, but, not out of left field either
more disappointed than shocked. its been a minute since i read sbr but i remeber being even more disgusted cause what was going on with lucy was more fucked up and less rooted in reality. what happened to dragona is definitely more grounded and necessary to depict in media, just not on the level it was here.

This chapter seems to imply he's a man initially, then somewhere down the line transitioned. That bullying incident had nothing to do with gender, just the usual power intimidation and teenage cruelty.
The bullying was specifically about what Dragona's genitalia was and then whether or not they had a bra on/had breasts. It's very, very clear that Dragona's being bullied for being gender nonconforming and that the bullying is intended to humiliate them for precisely that. Seriously. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that Dragona's relationship with gender and her experiences of persecution by society is to show us that the social construct of gender is another form of "system" that the characters are struggling with and against! It's no mistake that Charmingman tells us that "some aspect of society" is keeping him from his goal in the very same chapter that we learn about Dragona's trauma due to violating societal gender roles.

Dex-chan lover
more disappointed than shocked. its been a minute since i read sbr but i remeber being even more disgusted cause what was going on with lucy was more fucked up and less rooted in reality. what happened to dragona is definitely more grounded and necessary to depict in media, just not on the level it was here.
True, true but we live in a bizarre world, to where such horrific Devices are actually in entertainment products. The more famous the whole of the product gets, the more each aspect grows stranger to distinguish itself. And I fear this might just get even worse, and not just here.

Users who are viewing this thread