Just Leave Me Be - Vol. 1 Ch. 16

Oh my god I adore him... I'm so glad we finally get a warm and fun ml in one of these mfs lol
And every time... I can't get over how pretty the mc's hair and eye colour are, it's just my taste TwT i feel so spoiled

I feel like like they had her reject him just to push this particular event out longer. I mean, logically speaking, her rejecting him makes no sense. Her family doesn’t like her and she knows that they try to have her killed anyway. She’s terrified of her brother and abused by her mother. This is basically a Hail Mary for her. Like even taking chances on fate with this engagement isn’t a worse risk staying.

@AllTheFeels
I have to disagree, she explained very well why she rejected him. "what about after that?" and "I want you to remain as my savior in my memories." suggests that to her, his marriage proposal is no different from the duke's offer to adopt her. She fears that if she accepts it he might turn out to be as abusive as the duke. He's the only person who has been kind to her, she doesn't want anything to sully that image. And she's only known him for like a couple days, which in honesty makes her rejecting him more realistic.

And even if he turns out to not be abusive or shitty in anyway, "I do not wish to live thinking of you as my shackles." pretty much makes it obvious that she doesn't want to live as Karina anymore. If she marries him now as Karina, she'll have to live the rest of her life under that name. Might not seem like a big deal but she'd have to worry about how he react if he ever finds out or if anyone else finds out the real Karina died of the carlet disease (noble families who have an infected fall to ruin). She'll end up dragging him down if that happens and he might end up resenting her.

In the end she stays with her abusive family because she is used to them being shitty and has learned what to do in order to avoid pissing them off. I am on the fence on whether it really was the duke that killed her, he gains nothing from killing her.

Double-page supporter
@teruhashiclone

I see. But I still think she's being incredibly naive and illogical. Leaving noble society entirely could also mean death for her, I mean she's a friggin beggar when the duke found her and she's going back to that kinda lifestyle? She's smart so clearly she knows that a commoner life isn't a field of flowers. Marrying a guy who could protect her and let her live a decent life is a far better and logical option imo. She's just being needlessly stubborn bordering stupidity

I am curious why the Duke Bifta sent Adele to marry the hated, the cursed Grand Duke in the past life. Is it 'just' to kill Adele on her way to Hexion? Or is there any other benefit for the Bifta House?

@scarlet_summer it's not naive, it's a normal reaction that abuse victims have. obviously to us it's illogical, but abuse warps the victim's perception of safety to where they would rather stay in danger that they know than go somewhere unknown. so she's not being naive. rather, I think the author knows what they're writing about. to an abuse victim, people in power are to be feared. once she becomes his wife, he could treat her as he pleases, because she's his property. I like the author's choice in making her unsure, it's realistic to how abuse victims act and fear

I am very curious about the grand duke’s backstory. Why is he suffering? Why does he favor Karina even though he just met her? He clearly has some type of alternative motive to propose to her. Even though he used the abuse as an excuse, he also needs her to feel better. That much we know is true even if Karina is unaware of it.

I’m also wondering if that “healing magic” (or whatever she has but clearly cannot use for her own injuries...🙃) she has is something that has to deal with that voice that reversed time. Like she was “blessed” in a way by that person.

Also, just wondering if she really found out that her trash father is her biological father? Which would mean that a) he left her on the streets as a child, b) abused her for his own gain (to maintain the family standing in society), and c) offed her when he was done with her...

Did I read that right?

i totally understand her decision. no reason to trust him. a marriage w him would mean entering another imbalanced relationship where ur vulnerable (as a grand duke & as her husband he could prob do wtv he wants to her). who's to say his proposal won't end up exactly like the trash dad's. also she knows her current situation & abusers which means she knows how to work around certain things.

Double-page supporter
@PrinceTenjou
I do agree on your take about her being an abuse victim,though I disagree with the part where you say she fears people with power. An abuse victim mostly feel fear towards the abuser. Displacing such feelings to someone unrelated to it doesn't usually apply to them and in this case is quite unfair to Hexion. I guess I will accept her train of thought for now coz she's clearly not in the right state of mind and emotional health. This chapter is just so frustrating, and her not taking the hand reached out to her by a person who's only done good things to her since the moment they met just made that feeling explode

Users who are viewing this thread