Just Leave Me Be

Double-page supporter
@SaphireE90
Same sentiments here. I honestly don't get these things. Well other than for the purpose of creating drama and 'conflict' for the MC to overcome I don't see other purposes for it. Seriously this kinda setting gets old real fast and doesn't even make sense in the beginning
Imma read this coz it's got bootiful art tho lol

i thought this was going to be the mediocre “im not stepping myself up and marry a duke even though i was reincarnated” manga, but NO SHE STEPPED UP FOR HERSELF LIKE THE BADDIE SHE IS

@scarlet_summer @SaphireE90
I'm heavily, heavily guessing that original child died of that illness that was mentioned in chapter one, and they hid that fact because of what happens if people found out someone in your family got sick - you got isolated and disgraced.
If that theory is right, the reason they took in another child absolutely makes sense, as does the hatred towards her. Though that they'd rather take in a new child as a bargain tool instead of faking a death with some other child corpse speaks quite loudly for itself. If my theory is wrong, they still got a new bargaining chip to sell off and make alliances with instead of a dead child.
But too early to say, honestly.

The father is a big ass dick. The ML is so friggin cute too.
Keep up the wonderful update.

Fed-Kun's army
Beautiful cover page, ngl the hair and eye colors reminded me of C2

Double-page supporter
@Vofuro
So that can explain why she was referred to as a 'fake' by that knight coz she was practically a stand-in. But for that to quell curiousity of the dead original child won't she need to like assume her name as well? Or was it mentioned? Apparently she's still clueless of the family's intentions for her even after she died so she's an unreliable narrator

@scarlet_summer
I believe she did assume original child's name and took her place. All those mentions of her being fake, of her being low birth and thus not able to inherit anything - it's never shown openly, she's not ridiculed in front of a crowd or group (which she certainly would be), and her being her father's illegitimate offspring is a secret, too, as she only learnt about it after years. If it were an open secret, maids would have rubbed it in immediately. Plus that "your name is now" is telling IMHO.

Oh and she's not an unreliable narrator, just clueless and a bit naive. Unreliable narrators tell and show you one thing, while you know things don't add up and what you are told is wrong at least partly, hence unreliable. Girl just got a wake-up call, so hopefully she won't be as naive in the future!

@SaphireE90 If you humour the setting and think from the lens of within the world, one might assume that the family resents her for taking the place of the one who was in the position previously, however irrational. Imagine your mother, father, sibling, or child died and your family spends (probably the equivalent of) tens of if not hundreds of thousands of dollars maintaining the facade that they never died. Moreover, you have to pretend in public that this stranger is the person that you've lost forever. It is also a constant reminder of your family's infidelity (though we don't know how many people outside of the father/mother?/brother? who know this).

However, a more likely culprit is the personalities of the characters themselves. They never accepted her, nor did they ever care for her; that is how they've been characterized. They ignore her and would rather have her die (and probably receive condolences + pity from the public) than allow for the possibility that the plebeian they took in breaks character after leaving the eyes of their household. She could easily reveal the secret at any time, and if she marries out to a similarly powerful house then there's nothing stopping her from doing so out of spite (it would probably get her killed or exiled, but it would be easy to add into a will or posthumous writing and then doom their entire family line).

There are definitely reasons for them to kill her off rather than allow a wild card to roam freely. Their willingness to do so coupled with their indifference tells us about them—if I had to guess, they also hate the common folk and those without power (i.e. MC prior to their need of them).

@scarlet_Summer Rationale for why it makes sense for them to kill her if they never trusted her above. It's also for characterization and indeed, to serve as the inciting incident that triggers a change in the MC's previously complacent attitude. I would not say she is an unreliable narrator either because she simply does not know the answer. It is not unreliable narration to avoid preemptively answering/spoiling plot questions the moment they arise without letting characters figure it out through their actions (if so, then there would be no mystery, cliff hanger, or plot twist to any story).

This looks like it can be really good. I’m definitely looking out for that one !

Hmmm... I like it, but it seems to be going a bit too fast, as if it want to get plotpoints out of the way.

Users who are viewing this thread