Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute - Vol. 12 Ch. 48

Woah comments, also there's no one answer between burying power lines vs hanging them on poles, both has their pros and cons, different places/geography requires different solutions.
Due to the heat produced by the power lines when they were first implemented, they saw the ground would not keep the heat off and therefore the engineers opted to hang the wires.
Maybe with new tech now a days it may be possible but it'll be extremely expensive

Dex-chan lover
Due to the heat produced by the power lines when they were first implemented, they saw the ground would not keep the heat off and therefore the engineers opted to hang the wires.
Maybe with new tech now a days it may be possible but it'll be extremely expensive
i mean, nowadays the cable that connects the powerlines to buildings can be buried underground, but not all of them are, so it probably is above ground because of costs. Plus imagine burying all the existing power lines underground. Doesn't sound cheap, right?
Though I also thought that putting it above ground would make repairs easier before reading your comment.

Supporter
Oh, wow, comments! 🙌🏻 Surprised he didn't say the powerlines above ground are due to rapid expansion. (But really, they are right and it's just poor infrastructure planning.)

Dex-chan lover
Depends on the infrastructure designed for the system, in my country putting power lines on transmission towers and poles is the norm, but there are places where they've invested in putting utility tunnels to put them underground, including the huge stepdown transformers. Yes, cost is a big reason why it's not widespread in most places, because there's a lot to take into consideration when it's below ground level.

Double-page supporter
Depends on the infrastructure designed for the system, in my country putting power lines on transmission towers and poles is the norm, but there are places where they've invested in putting utility tunnels to put them underground, including the huge stepdown transformers. Yes, cost is a big reason why it's not widespread in most places, because there's a lot to take into consideration when it's below ground level.
heating==powerloss that can be avoided by increasing voltage rate and reducing the current rate, thats why it's transfered with dc over thousand kv.
also it's just safer to keep at heights. if it was underground it would be too dangerous for any random digging, plus if the powercut happens it would be hard to investigate the place without digging. also if u think about isolating it harder or creating additional tunnels it would interfere with water & gase pipelines bringing to something bad.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
heating==powerloss that can be avoided by increasing voltage rate and reducing the current rate, thats why it's transfered with dc over thousand kv.
also it's just safer to keep at heights. if it was underground it would be too dangerous for any random digging, plus if the powercut happens it would be hard to investigate the place without digging. also if u think about isolating it harder or creating additional tunnels it would interfere with water & gase pipelines bringing to something bad.
Hence why I mention that there's a lot to take into consideration when going underground. Also worth mentioning that there's strict laws and GIS systems preventing legit public works and utility works from just randomly digging around. Sure there's bound to be outliers that just do shoddy work or straight up sabotage, but that risk comes with any path you take. A great case study for an underground power infrastructure is New York City if you're interested in reading more about it.

Fed-Kun's army
I never expected he'd be going back to Japan. Wonder how this will tie in with everything.

I think particularly in japan main reason for setting up power lines above the ground is because of their unstable climate. A huge number earthquakes makes it easy to damage underground power system, also making them more expensive for constant maintenance. So it’s more convenient for japan to make thing that way. In Russia recently we started bury our power lines blow ground for the sake of better city aesthetics and better longevity of such systems. Cause they gather ice on them in winter, which thorns them under heavy weight

Users who are viewing this thread