Kaguya-sama: Love is War - Vol. 21 Ch. 209 - Dreams

Dex-chan lover
yeah yeah yeah, last arc starts. Shirogane will fullfill his promise "to get her back even from the moon", wearing his dad's watch. Personally I hope to see Maki's help along the way. But all that is irrelevant just now.
Why won't we discuss an elephant in the room? Is this a hotel?

Dex-chan lover
Well this was some tonal shift. Hopefully this doesn't mean we aren't getting any comedy for too long.

Lex

I mean...

We already knew that papa Shirogane lost his business to "something" since, well, a lot of time.

AND we know how the Shinomiya corp operates because it's been explained again and again every time Maki and Kaguya are on screen at the same time.

Is this even a plot twist, at this point? I had it guessed since way back.

I am worried that Shiro is just going to come in and save the day, and hope Aka leans towards them working together to save themselves. I'm tired of prince charming stories, and we all know Kaguya is not some feeble princess. Also, it would be kinda ironic if a male character saves a female character from the patriarchy....

Double-page supporter
Yeah it was an obvious plot that her family did that. I'm sure after Miyuki's father gets rich again the wife will be coming back.

Dex-chan lover
God damn her brother. Just have him assassinated.... in fact, all her brothers and father need to go

Double-page supporter
Aw, dammit. This translation makes a lot more sense. That last page especially makes more sense. It's such a pain in the ass, though.

Double-page supporter
AND HERE IT IS!! THE FIANCE ARC!! always knew it was coming, now will it be a middle age man or a young guy?

Fed-Kun's army
I am genuinely disappointed in aka for using this tired trope.

Dex-chan lover
@HungryIm I don't think losing financial support is the issue, more likely the fact that the brother Is likely to threaten to harm Hayasaka's family if they elope.

Fed-Kun's army
UnLeSs...

Time skip...
Kaguya has made progress in forestalling her aniki's shitty plot crutch 'plans', and gaining influence within the shinomiya family. Her brother demands she at least meet the man she so vehimently dismisses, then if she's still unsatisfied, whatever...

Shirogane goes to stanford, excells with the drive to free kaguya from her ass of a brother. Achieves meteoric rise to success. Gets an offer from the shinomiya group. They want to buy up his company. They want him to meet with them over dinner...

Kaguya is to meet the suitor at a fancy ass resturaunt eithet in japan or on the west coast, maybe L.A. She goes in and sits down at the table.

A man in a suit walks in, and sits across from kaguya. Without looking at him, Kaguya tells her brother "No, this man is completely unsatisfactory , take me home". "So be it", says the brother, as he leads her out of the dining room. "Wait! Shinomiya!" Says the man at the table. Kaguya turns around.

Her icey gaze is thawed by the man before her. Tall, confident, with blonde hair and piercing eyes.

Uh, why is Kaguya caring so much about what her brother says? Just say no, he can disown her but this isn't the Showa Period so it's not like he can throw her into his personal prison and lock the door. What a fucking tired trope.

I don't often leave comments as I typically just read the manga that I follow and go about discussing the chapter releases in private with my friends, but I feel impressed to leave a comment about this chapter. If you feel disappointed that Akasaka-sensei used this trope, then we must not have been reading the same manga up to this point. We all should know by this point in time that this was the endgame, that the ultimate hurdle and roadblock to the romance between Miyuki and Kaguya would be her family and the Shinomiya group as the symbolic equivalent of Kaguya-hime's home being the moon, and her inevitable return to the moon, as in the Tale of the Bamboo-Cutter, which this manga borrows from heavily.

With that out of the way, I am sorely impressed with how blunt Akasaka-sensei is being with Kaguya being faced with the crushing reality of the patriarchy that she was born into, and how she intends to fight back. Honestly, I don't mind this trope because this is truly still an issue, and I suppose that this is Akasaka-sensei's way of using his platform to make his readers aware of the societal ails which rob many women's agencies and power as to their own self-determination. Reading through the comments, I see that many readers seem to want the solution to be a concerted effort between all main parties in the manga, but I personally do not see anything wrong with Kaguya and Miyuki working toward their dreams on their own terms and separately. Like Kaguya says, simply running away from the Shinomiya group without any power or influence of her own does not solve her problems, and will ultimately end with the group bringing her back by force. Since the main point of contention at this point in the story is between Kaguya and the patriarchy that has caged her since her birth, I think it makes a lot of sense thematically for her to destroy the cycle from within with the power that she can amass by herself as a means to the end of dismantling the patriarchal operation of the Shinomiya group. Is it a roundabout way of doing things, when we could just have Kaguya and Miyuki be together if they both just escaped the Shinomiya group abroad? Yes, but it at least doesn't feel like a cop-out, and if anything, I think it's empowering for Kaguya's character for her to face the circumstance of her birth and try to change that with her power.

I am looking forward to the next chapters with much anticipation.

Fed-Kun's army
@Phoenix_VII Because he has the financial power to ruin her life. How are they going to live if her brother gets them fired from every job they have? If they're harassed and threatened every day? And if he becomes head of the company it'll become even worse. To him she's a very valuable pawn. This is why she said she needs to gain power from within because this isn't a situation where you can just run.

Dex-chan lover
@Phoenix_VII They're not going to disown a resource they invested in for so long just because. They'll force her hand if they have to but they'll get something out of her existence. The only way out is either gaining power from the inside, or learning enough shit that could ruin the entire family if it leaked out, and leak it or blackmail them.

Users who are viewing this thread