Kaguya-sama: Love is War

seeing Maki and indian guy in same panel with difference drawing style reminds me FB profile pics of weebs holding photoshopped waifus. (especially in 8 page)

So does this mean that Chika and Hayasaka are dating? It wasn't mentioned on the last page, so I don't know if it was supposed to be just a joke or Hayasaka actually going after Chika

Aggregator gang
I think it was a joke and they're not dating. It was just Chika being spontaneously Chika as per the usual. We don't really know where her romantic interests lie, assuming she even has any.

@Ryallen Didn't they explain what happened in the pre-flashbacks chapter?

Ishigami wants to be confessed to is the next title?

I'm not a fan of the love triangle. It feels like it's at risk of falling into old patterns. But I have enough built-in faith into the manga so I still think it can turn out to be interesting. For sure Iino needs some character development, she has been neglected a bit too much in favor of other characters.

For better or for worse, with the focus on Miko and Tsubame the waifu war is coming. While I've liked the troubled relationship of sorts between Miko and Ishigami, I can't really say the same about Tsubame. Too heavy, yet too shallow. Any development with Tsubame relies on coincidences and very sketchy circumstances, that make me remember other romcoms that are not as good. And the jump from 0 to 100 in Christmas left a really bitter aftertaste.

It's not even a triangle. No matter how I look at it, I can't see Tsubame winning.

Fed-Kun's army
@Isekaijin

While I've liked the troubled relationship of sorts between Miko and Ishigami, I can't really say the same about Tsubame.

Ironically, I feel exactly the opposite. In terms of Ishigami, Miko falls almost squarely into the stock "tsundere childhood friend who can't figure out that the most annoying thing about this guy is that she kind of likes him" cliche. (She's a much more fun and interesting character when the situation has nothing to do with him, though.)

On the other hand, Ishigami's explicitly been gunning for Tsubame for a while, and his attempts to get closer to her and their interactions (even as just friends, and with the heavy assistance of the whole cheer club) have actually done quite a lot to bring him out of the shell he was in at the beginning of the series and force him to re-evaluate people and ideas he originally saw as 'normie stuff'. No matter how this thing ends up, Tsubame's had a lot of positive impact on Ishigami's character growth.

Dex-chan lover
am I the only one kinda getting a similar vibe as Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa in the more recent chapters?

@EaterOfBooks

Yeah, it's a pity Tsubame is just a stepping stone because she's just... more interesting and less standard a dynamic. Like you *knew* from moment zero it would never work because Iino was basically created to end up with Ishigami and half her character apperances up to here have ended up with "these two will end together" hints, but Tsubame is the one that actually has influenced Ishigami's character positively, and the cheer club in general has been the best thing to happen to Ishigami's general arc.

Fed-Kun's army
@Drascin

I hope Tsubame's not just a stepping stone, and the author's been pulling a long con fakeout with Iino because we all expect the tsundere to get with the guy. Otherwise, given Hayasaka and Tsubame, I'd be forced to say the author just hates blondes or something.

Actually, now that I think about it, Hayasaka and Tsubame really are similar characters: blonde, popular/gyaru chicks who appear to be losing to darker haired tsunderes while their actions provide a catalyst for the relationship between that girl and the guy in the triangle.

Christ, but Ishigami scored a lot of points with everyone interested in him during that Christmas arc.

Tsubame is the one that actually has influenced Ishigami's character positively, and the cheer club in general has been the best thing to happen to Ishigami's general arc

Yeah.

What's really interesting is that Iino and Tsubame almost appear to both be tsunderes - I really doubt Tsubame would have offered to fuck Ishigami if she didn't at least kind of like him, even if she played it as being a pity fuck. While it's clear there are a lot of guys interested in her, she really doesn't seem like the 'town bicycle' type, and she at least knows Ishigami well enough to understand how she hurt him with her offer after she'd thought it over. It'd be pretty hilarious if we end up with Ishigami following Tsubame to her college as a mirror image of Kaguya following Shirogane to his.

Also, don't be unfair to Iino - she was basically the only person who had Ishigami's back during the incident that led to him becoming a NEET. She hasn't had as much of an influence on his growth as Tsubame and the cheer club within the story, but she tried to be there for him when it counted.

This is one of the things that makes this series hard for me to read when it really gets into the romance aspect of romcom - I like all these characters, and unless we suddenly get a bunch more guys in the cast, several characters I like just aren't going to get their romantic happily ever afters by the end of the series.

Also, no matter whether Ishigami ends up with Tsubame or not, a ten years later scene involving her saying "remember that time I tried to fuck you and you turned me down?" would be hilarious.

@EaterOfBooks

Regarding Tsubame and Miko, I think it's disrespectful to Aka to claim that the tsundere will win just because. This manga always pushed the idea that if you want love, you have to work hard for it. Shirogane and Kaguya are a couple now because they spent a year and a half plotting and appealing to each other. Maki, despite being a tsundere, lost hard because of that.

Regarding Ishigami's efforts, it's like the joke with Fujiwara and losing weight. Sure she's making an effort. But not improving because she refuses to see the full panorama and she's only patting herself in the back whenever she makes an step forward. However Ishigami plans to improve, it won't help with the main reason why Tsubame is rejecting him. Because that stuff only works with Kaguya because she's Kaguya. It's good because he's improving himself, assuming he stops needing Kaguya to babysit him, but I'm afraid it won't have the effect he's hoping for.

Tsubame is definitely not a stepping stone. Not after the Christmas party. However she's still not endgame material. Hard to explain, since Aka doesn't rely on those tropes to begin with.

I don't know how to quote, but

>What's really interesting is that Iino and Tsubame almost appear to both be tsunderes - I really doubt Tsubame would have offered to fuck Ishigami if she didn't at least kind of like him, even if she played it as being a pity fuck.

I mean, duh? I've mentioned before that it's clear that Tsubame *likes* Ishigami, but she feels she can't really let herself fall in *love* because she's leaving anyway and that would be unfair and hurtful. Which is actually a very common thing, being scared to commit to "seriousness" because you know it couldn't be permanent anyway. That's not tsundere, that's pretty much a normal human reaction to a sucky situation all around.

Actually, I think that may be part of why the while Tsubame/Ishigami thing hit so hard? Everyone in it acts like normal people. Almost nothing Kaguya or Prez or Iino or Chika do is ever normal. They're super exaggerated, they're Big with Big Feelings and Big Traumas and Big Moods and they do Big Gestures. It adds a certain layer of abstraction. The Christmas thing, as the vernacular goes, "got too real".

Users who are viewing this thread