Kaifuku Jutsushi no Yarinaoshi - Vol. 8 Ch. 32

Dex-chan lover
@Amariithynar @Azurekite1 BRO. I was waiting to see what u guys did this chapter and it's still the same AAAHHHHHH
Just look at the raw of this chapter:
rEIBz6.jpg
Green: 行くぞ -> Ikuzo / Let's go
Red: イヴ -> Eve / Eve lmao
Meaning: Ikuzo, Eve / Let's go, Eve

And what's "Iblis" name in the raws? イヴ・リース... Hmmm. イヴ, familiar isn't it? Kearu calls her by her first name, the one before the middle dot.
So why did you guys still say Iblis? Should Kearu rather say "Let's go, Ib!!!" in your translation?

Dex-chan lover
They are just continuing from were they did last. Some people huh...

@AnotherRat

Sounds like it's just a case of "no perfect translation", because the translators wanted to keep a likely reference to Iblis (イヴリース).

You can see in the chapter comments for her introduction, 19.1, that while someone did ask about the "Eve Reese" vs. "Iblis" part, most were commenting about the origin of the name "Iblis" instead.

Yes, the raws have people calling her Ib/Eve instead of using her full name, and the translators seem to have chosen not to use the odd/out-of-place looking name "Ib" for every time people refer to her. Phonetically, it'd make sense to call her "Eve", but then her introduction would be like "...Eve. My name is Iblis." unless you change her full name as well.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the translation LHT, you guys are one of the most consistent scanlation group with a great reputation so don't let those snipers discourage you

Dex-chan lover
@Jadian
If we're talking about origin of names, shouldn't Keyaru/Keyaruga be Cure/Curega?
https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Curaga
ah, but there is a slight difference ケヤル/ケヤルガ vs ケアル/ケアルガ

Dex-chan lover
@Jadian Yeah, the guy I tagged said the same 4 days ago in the another scan's chapter...

@jonsmth inb4 Kearg sounds cooler lol

@Amariithynar @Azurekite1 BTW I asked the author, Tsukiyo Rui, via Gmail and he responded aaahhhhh
MgeYlk.jpg
リース家のイヴちゃんです。
"This is Eve-chan (イヴちゃん) from the Reese (リース) family."

Make of that as you will, sir

Dex-chan lover
@AnotherRat
Makes sense. The author probably wouldn't always have to be using the exact spellings of the basis of their names.
"Flare" is probably fine for a name, but "Curega" is a little iffy.

Well, and MAL lists Iblis' name as Eve Reese already, so we could be using the anime spellings moving forward.

@AnotherRat: I was wondering about the person you tagged, since I couldn't find any related comments on the other Chp 32 releases of this.

@jonsmth Definitely learned a lot more than I expected from getting into this discussion.

tl;dr: I can agree "Eve Reese" is probably better to go with, for flexibility and familiarity, though I would want to add "Iblis" to her full name (in the manner of furigana) any time it comes up.

First off: I'll have to apologize for coming into this with some ignorance, for not having read or looked into the source material before this.

Thanks for pointing out the name stuff with the Magician and Healer heroes. The MC because I wouldn't have picked up the reference, and Flare's because LHT has been translating her original name as Freya rather than Flare. I also didn't realize that all the names in this series were given name first.

Not realizing that stuff had me wondering why some of the Heroes had characteristic names (Bullet, Hawkeye) while Freya and Norn had mytholigcal names, and Keyaru wasn't even a name I remembered, let alone connecting it to anything. I still can't really draw such a connection with the names of the beast girl Setsuna or the blade goddess Kureha, but that also might just be from not knowing Japanese, or at least not being intimately familiar with it. On the other hand, for the series' target audience, I'm sure these connections were are simple for them to notice. Going further, the connection with Iblis should be easy for them to see, and the name of the current demon king Hakuou also seems like it's a characteristic name for them.

Some of these seem to translate well, some not so much. With Iblis/Eve Reese...in Japanese you still get a perfectly pronouncable name, while still having the connection to the reference. Trying to set that to English, you can get a reasonable looking and sounding name "Eve Reese" that only bears phonetic resemblence to the reference, you can use the name "Iblis"/"Ibris" and lose the first/last name split and related nuances, or you could try sticking closer to the source and end up with "Ib-chan of the Lis/Ris family" which looks....weird, but I'm not sure if I'm just being biased at this point.

Keyaru....now that you've mentioned where his name comes from, I would actually prefer a name closer to Cure/Curaga, or closer to some other related reference. The "characteristic name" trend across the heroes gets oddly broken up when the first two heroes introduced don't have names that succinctly characterize their heroic disposition (in the LHT translation, at least).

.....and I'm just now finally realizing that Norn never actually was a hero, was she?

Dex-chan lover
@AnotherRat 1) I have consistantly said that if you get in contact with the author and they clarify, that's that.
2) I ain't affiliated with any group doing translating at all, lol.

Dex-chan lover
@AnotherRat Lmao nope. Just a reader commenting on what I read. No reason for me as a reader to go through all that trouble- I was just trying to explain to you that CN and ANN's translations are not necessarily accurate and why it could have been the case. That's why I always clarified that if they reached out to the author and got clarification, then they could be using the correct translation.

@anotherrat, if you can read and translate Japanese I suggest that you apply for a TL position in the group (contact the person mentioned in the final credit page and stop bugging me I'm only a PROOF READER.

The names are as what the Translator says they are, I have VERY LITTLE say over that part, I mostly smooth out the sentences so that they sound better.

Also, I couldn't see any of the screenshot/pictures you attempted to post. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Users who are viewing this thread