Kaijuu Iro no Shima - Ch. 18

Dex-chan lover
Okay so she didn't confess here and there won't be a love triangle, was a stupid assumption from the start so all the better that it didn't come true.
As stupid as it seems in hindsight, the author did try to put that thought in our minds with the way the "bitch" was framed in the last chapter.

Dex-chan lover
Thank you for translations!

Good question, where is Kon.

Dex-chan lover
So the monster is a metaphor for internalized homophobia, right?

u4zhrs.jpg

Dex-chan lover
This story hasn't really been subtle about the two of them dealing with their isolation due to the "abnormal" feelings they have--that is, being gay. I think it seems likely that while said monster is a real physical entity in the story, the author means it as a representation of the experience of being gay IRL, where you feel like there's something wrong with you and keeping you away from everyone else.

Am I wrong? It seems like a pretty obvious interpretation to me.

Dex-chan lover
This story hasn't really been subtle about the two of them dealing with their isolation due to the "abnormal" feelings they have--that is, being gay. I think it seems likely that while said monster is a real physical entity in the story, the author means it as a representation of the experience of being gay IRL, where you feel like there's something wrong with you and keeping you away from everyone else.

You're not wrong; That's a much more reasonable and sensible explanation than just saying, "internalized homophobia" and expecting people to pick up on what you're saying.

Dex-chan lover

i dont think the monster really representing anything with the girl.

Like it saved them and sent the girl flying once, or even the village is scare of the monster. if it homophobia that not work. And Kon even go to the cave to play.
Now i think of another idea after read what you said. The monster is the idea of gay itself. The people treat it as bad, and even the girls not sure of so they also scare of it, because that is "sick". but they could also find their true self, hence Kon actually even go play at the cave.

Still, even that idea also have conflict. Like how even outdated people treated gay as something to be punish rather than scare of and offer sacrifice.
and even as the girl find each other, was happy and embrace they "abnormal" somehow they wake up at home don't know what just happen and where the other at. not sure what that representing

Dex-chan lover
Due to the weird vibes in the last half of this chapter, I almost expected the mom to say "Nobody named Kon lives here."

Users who are viewing this thread