Kajiya de Hajimeru Isekai Slow Life - Vol. 1 Ch. 4

Dex-chan lover
@xakura you do when you want to make them purposedly low quality. If he made them properly they'd be as strong as a lightsaber, cutting anything besides another lighsaber. He doesnt wants to do that, so heres the method he came up with.

Dex-chan lover
@xakura You don't cast iron swords goddamn.
Actually, you do cast iron swords. Iron swords were primarily created using largely the same as their bronze predecessors, which was casting; the real problem is that iron, relatively speaking, is a very soft metal and would have to be incredibly thick to support its own weight if made into a conventional longsword (which is the main reason bronze and iron swords tended to be about 24" or less in blade length).

It's steel swords you don't cast... Though, technically speaking, you can, but you'll get a pretty subpar blade out of it because you introduced enough carbon that it's basically cast iron at that point. Plus, you're basically just casting the billet to use as a starting point, so it's simpler to just forge it from an ingot in the first place.

Of course, since this dude has literal divine swordsmithing skills and his goal is rather subpar blades (for him, anyway), it kinda makes sense in an odd way.

@kenh it seems like this is his first time doing this so I'll let it slide I even offered the guy a role but were uploading our version in a bit

just happened to pick this up today was surprised the moment i read it it got updated im looking forward for more updates

Shame the previous group stopped doing this. They were doing a pretty good job.

Contributor
@Bevinsky
Please scroll down more in Kajiya comment section (not chapter comment section) till you find a comment from WeeBDestroyer.

I'll bet that longsword is like some legendary class ultimate weapon

I'm here for the cat, but while at it, it ticks me off to see this blatant propagation of misinformation and ignorance. Clearly this mangaka didn't even google 5 minutes about forging/balcksmithing before making a fucken blacksmithing manga with a fucken blacksmith MC.

@Vincentius
It's steel swords you don't cast... Though, technically speaking, you can, but you'll get a pretty subpar blade out of it because you introduced enough carbon that it's basically cast iron at that point

dude, you too seem clueleless about it.

So, for the sake of anyone reading this, get this shit stright:
[ol]Iron + Carbon = Steel[/ol]
[ol]Iron when cast, stays iron.[/ol]
[ol]Steel when cast becomes iron or a very poor steel because carbon gets oxidized and goes away as CO2.[/ol]
[ol]Forging is the proces of incorporating carbon, reducing the steel grain size and eliminating impurities (as in small-particles of non-metal stuff that doesn't bind to the iron, like sand/silicon, big particles of carbon, etc)[/ol]
[ol]Other impurities that DO bind to iron, like sulphur, are something that has to be dealt with chemically while melting the iron.[/ol]
[ol]Iron swords are as good as what you could get out of making a cheap tableware knife made of a strightened tuna-can. It will NOT retain it's edge, and bends easily.[/ol]
[ol]Steel when cooled abruptly develops intermolecular strains that make it very hard, but brittle like glass[/ol]

So, if you simply forge a good chunk of Iron into high grade steel, shape it like a sword and quench it... when parrying a heavy blow your sword will break and your head will make a solid "thud" in the ground before the tip-most half of the sword finally lands on the ground.

So, before going to any adventure, please consult with your closest expert blacksmith. Don't trust your misinformed "common sense".

Oh boy, here come the blacksmithing nerds to argue about how wrong this manga is about blacksmithing. What a surprise. It's a manga yo, get over it and just enjoy the read. It's not meant to be a 1:1 depiction of real life.

Thank you for the translation though, hoping to see more!

It is a manga, but it is one depicting someone who has supernatural smithing skill. A mistake so basic as casting an iron sword shows the author did no research at all on the subject of the chapter. That seems lazy, and even a bit disrespectful to the audience.

Users who are viewing this thread