Kajiya de Hajimeru Isekai Slow Life - Vol. 4 Ch. 19

Dex-chan lover
I don't know
it is just what those guys on youtube did
A lot of youtubers do it wrong, lol. :p Or, as mentioned, they cast with a ductile metal suitable for casting, like bronze (How to Make Everything has featured a metalcaster who taught how to cast a bronze sword, for example).

Dex-chan lover
I blame mithril. Metal tends to have single breaks, but they can shatter under certain conditions, like hardening without tempering, or extremely cold.
If you go by the classic description of mithril, it's harder than steel, but still flexible, and you could cut it like glass. More like a ceramic than a metal.

I think the closest thing we have in this world are the fancy aluminium and titanium alloys used in jet engines and other high-stress environments.
Those alloys are hard, light, and can be flexible, but they shatter rather nastily when they do break down. And you can make things made out of them shatter if you hit them just right at the right places, not unlike "shatterproof" glass.

Of course, people who have access to those kinds of alloys ( usually airplane factories ) have not ever tried making weapons out of offcuts/rejects to ...mess around a bit... , because that stuff is expensive, and it is not allowed, and it would be highly unprofessional, and ummmm... 😇;)

Dex-chan lover
Is there a regular release schedule for this series? Maybe bi-monthly?

Dex-chan lover
EDIT-Himori-Yoshino-Kajiya-de-Hajimeru-ISL-c019-p036-x02.png

Dex-chan lover
I'm going to give the sword repair a "Pass" because it could be written off as mithril/magical metal bullshit, but if that was a steel sword... No bueno. Doesn't work that way. The blade would be incredibly fragile. Reforging it would be the only option. But, again, it's mithril, so maybe there's magic super material shit at work. (That said, even Eizo eventually resorted to reforging it, but for magical reasons instead of metallurgical.)

Also, borax is not required for "adhesion" - it's used as a flux to prevent oxidation and helps keep impurities out of the material. Otherwise what can happen in the forging process is you can get impurities, scale, layer separation that leads to delamination because you don't actually have a solid piece of steel, etc. And you can still fuck up a forged piece even with borax used as flux on the piece.

Users who are viewing this thread