Kakkou no Iinazuke - Vol. 4 Ch. 29 - It Doesn’t Change Your Value as a Person!

@CyBerK
I got that she was trying to cheer him up, but when that's coming from someone whose family is filthy rich and from someone that doesn't have to worry about career or money in her lifetime,it sounds like a joke.

''Value as a person'' is a vague and subjective concept, I agree that studying and working isn't all there is to the world but especially in a country like japan where your status ,economic situation and place in society( and possibly who you can/will get married to ) is closelly linked by your profession and position which in turn is determined by your education therefore your ''value'' is partially connected by your rankings in a way.

What really bothers me is that Nagi is constantly dragged around selfishly by these girls, cooking for them, going to shoping(and carrying their stuff) for them, giving Erika lessons etc, for which he gets nothing in return.

Double-page supporter
Here's a gentle reminder that these are fictional characters. They don't actually exist. Holding the characters' words and actions against them is ultimately pointless, as the things they say and do are not real. The only living people responsible for the characters are the author and the editor.

That being said, this chapter really was excruciating. And what was clearly intended as the core message, that something like test scores don't change one's value as a person, is pretty muddled by the fact that it's being said by a character who seems to see the protagonist mostly in terms of his usefulness to her. (And not just in terms of cooking or cleaning. Stating that she has fun with him is still measuring his value by what he does for her.)

Users who are viewing this thread