Kami eshi JK to OL fujoshi - Vol. 2 Ch. 7 - I may not be a fujoshi anymore!!

KZO

Dex-chan lover
An extra appears, it's not even a love triangle, just a high school girl angry she lost.

I can relate to writing long posts and not being able to send them so I save them somewhere.

Group Leader
Lol what an entitled brat.........

Just because you’re an artist doesn’t mean you have to date other artists lol.

Resident Yuripig
Contributor
@princess_daphie There's no need to translate fujoshi to anything. It's a very common word here in the West. Especially, anyone who's reading this is gonna know exactly what a fujoshi is. It's usually left transliterated and not translated. Even the English licensors (7 Seas, Yen, Kodansha, etc) leave it as fujoshi. I would recommend just leaving it as that in the future. If it were me, I'd go back and actually change this chapter, but as it's not up to me, obviously I can't make you do anything lol. Anyhoo, just some advice from an old fansubber and scanlator. Take it for what it's worth.

Dex-chan lover
@princess_daphie I think I agree with keeping fujoshi instead of trying to translate it. It’s a fairly well known term on its own.

For the people hating on the coworker, she does actually care about Ai-San. It’s one of the those quirks of being good friends that you can recognize their flaws and still accept and want to be around them.

Now, for the “rival” she literally just heard how Misumi feels about Ai and just didn’t let it phase her. So I don’t think this drama will last too long. Misumi seems pretty levelheaded about her feelings for Ai.

Be gone Mado-something!
Can't wait to see what happens next.
As always, thank you for your hard work, Goddess Daphie.

Group Leader
Definitely not what I was expecting haha. Great chapter, and awesome work as always!! <3

Dex-chan lover
I won't read all the comments, there are probably people who take things too far xD but yeah I fear nothing, I know they'll be alright! because despite all their differences, love is real! the other girl just doesn't understand

Group Leader
all right, i have some time to reply now.

first let me thank all of you back who've shown me your appreciation!
@chusetto
🤣

@Tomoemami
i know right, hahaha! if age-gap's not their thing...

@emMeBi86
Aizawa-san acting like a proper adult? Not so sure about that, haha! But I also hope it's resolved fast! It was clear from the volume cover that this new girl was going to be the main topic!

@MISHYPANIC5
thank you! it really was a spur of the moment expression i thought of and just decided to keep it.

@Lioslin
THANK YOU! that's indeed where it comes from, and it's just an expression that feels natural to me. didn't realize it could feel more obfuscated than fujoshi to other people. personally, i had never heard the word fujoshi before working on this manga. it actually might be a generation gap thing, as i think Eminem might have lost some popularity steam with years, lol

@Grizzlow
wtf kind of comment is that... 😧

@Exhausted @airminer @rainbowplatypus @Babydel @Ichigo69 @Lilisionnach
i appreciate your feedback, even if it's a bit sad for me, lol.

i honestly thought "stan" was a known expression by now. i mean i know that expression all the while being a French speaker that lives in a unilingual French environment. the word has also made its way in dictionaries, i.e.: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stan

on the other hand, fujoshi hasn't and i had never heard of that word before. i mean it's in urban dictionary and such resources, but i had to look it up.

i'm still not sure if i'll go back and change it or not though, but i'll be consequent of my decision for the next chapters if it's ever spoken again.

Dex-chan lover
@KZO do you ever reread them and think its cringe? sometimes I stumble upon my comments left on here or on youtube years ago and think it was omega cringe lmao

KZO

Dex-chan lover
@dokidoki It really depends how long ago I wrote them. If it was longer than 3 years ago maybe.

@princess_daphie
Seems fairly straightforward, i have literally never heard the word stan used before and i dont see any reason why one would ever need to translate the term fujoshi. It would be like translating tsundere, it might not be english but almost everyone who reads manga know what it is anyway because it appears so often and is so specific to manga/anime that there is no need to.
If you desperately feel the need to translate it atleast use the literal translation of Rotten Girl, because being a massive fan of something and being a fujoshi does not mean the same thing. Same reason i hate when people remove or badly translate honorifics (as long as the characters are japanese, characters who wouldnt actually use honorifics are excusable) because while Aniki and Onii-chan might both mean Big Brother they mean very different things.
Same thing when the main couple in a romcom stop using honorifics with each other but, oh wait, they never did in the first place in the translation so this very important scene is literally fucking nothing.
Rant over, your translation is great otherwise but please, fuck, stop translating fujoshi, its stupid.

Power Uploader
So the annoying rival made her appearance. I wish our protagonist would just shut her up next chapter. She's the only creepy person here.

Regarding the translation, I don't think the term fujoshi needs to be translated at all. After all, fujoshi fandom is pretty notorious well known as it it. And frankly, 'stan' doesn't carry the same connotation, just like 'warrior' doesn't convey the same meaning as 'samurai'.

Group Leader
@Grizzlow
my specific reply to you earlier was about the tone of the comment, not the issue with translation, but i'll address this as well. thanks for the positive counterpart of your comment though 🙃
( @youdontknowwho )
that's where and why i've translated fujoshi to something meaning "fan of yaoi":
- https://jisho.org/word/%E8%85%90%E5%A5%B3%E5%AD%90
- https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fujoshi
- etc.

but you're right, the literal translation is rotten girl. i wouldn't put that in though. doesn't sit right. clearly a subjective preference, i can't debate on this, lol

i don't agree that says it's a "well known" word or even comparable to "tsundere", "yandere", "otaku", "samurai" or such words. i insist. nor me, nor anyone i've ever talked to about this manga knows what "fujoshi" means, while most will know a couple if not all of the previous words. it's like a specific word in a subgenre. i still feel like my translation fit the mood perfectly, but, since it seems to be offending to some (and cryptic to others), i think i'll compromise by going the other way around. i'll edit back fujoshi in as-is, but i'll also add a T/N that explains it the first time. even if it's in the title, lol.

Power Uploader
@princess_daphie Sure it's not comparable to the terms you listed, but as far as genre fandoms go, it's the most well-known. Japan has a name for every single subset of otaku culture, but fujoshi is the only one I know without looking up. I bet urbandictionary don't even have a definition for the mirror term 'himedanshi' (male fans of yuri)

All in all, I think keeping fujoshi as it is is the correct decision. 'BL stans', while not exactly wrong, doesn't convey that the fan is a female (yaoi fanboys are called differently), as well as the self-deprecating sense of humor of the original term.

Users who are viewing this thread