Kanreki Hime - Ch. 20 - Another World

Contributor
Joined
Mar 18, 2018
Messages
2,704
The whole pill was bullshit to not make more girls of the old MC

And a shame what's happening to you translators,thanks for the hard work , get well soon enough
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Oct 29, 2024
Messages
2,060
I'm sorry, but some of these comments are extremely naive. You think having a good idea or a good product necessarily means you succeed financially? Seriously? I'm sorry, but you're a mark if you assume that. What's much more likely is that you'll get your ideas/product taken by someone with more more money and connections than you, you'll get used up and then thrown out. The game is rigged.

The drug market in particular is more unstable than most. There is also a long history of incredible treatments that get suppressed for centuries because they undermine cultural mores or the bottom line of pharmacy companies. (CBD/THC being the most well-known example)
This company literally created a pill for Eternal youth. Rich people who tend to be obsessed with living forever would buy that shit up. In considering it's cost it's literally a rich person only product. It would not undermine any pharmacy companies bottom line.
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Jan 22, 2018
Messages
1,499
This company literally created a pill for Eternal youth. Rich people who tend to be obsessed with living forever would buy that shit up. In considering it's cost it's literally a rich person only product. It would not undermine any pharmacy companies bottom line.
One, you're giving rich people way too much credit. They waste their money on stupid shit almost constantly and know almost nothing about the world that isn't through a filter. Else they wouldn't be putting us through this AI hell right now

Two, I don't have to prove that this pill wouldn't sell. Just support the idea that whoever was selling it went out of business and the pill is currently unavailable as a result. That absolutely could happen. Something very similar happened with pain relief medication in the 1800's, though I'd need to refresh myself on the details. Products live or die on marketing and spread of word of mouth. I think it's safe to assume, realistically, another business will pick up the slack in the longterm. I know you're going to say that this sort of medicine would make history immediately and it wouldn't come to that. I don't agree -- I think our current media landscape absolutely buries positive or inspiring news unless it's been in a celebrity's orbit. I defy you to tell me you heard about even one of these headlines in the past week: https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org

I'm not saying this drug would be unknown forever, it absolutely will change this world eventually once a celebrity finally takes notice of it. Just that I don't think it requires a suspension of disbelief that the first company to produce it in this story went bust. There is no business in the world that's failproof if the people running it are incompetent enough. For the record I do consider it contrived for the story to play this card but it's not unrealistic in my view.

Three -- yes this drug absolutely would disrupt the market in a major way. Are you kidding me? Botox manufacturers alone would be in immediate crisis. Manufacturers of hormones, facial creams, etc. there would be a LOT of established pharmeceutical and medical companies for whom this pill would be apocalyptic to their bottom line.
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Oct 29, 2024
Messages
2,060
One, you're giving rich people way too much credit. They waste their money on stupid shit almost constantly and know almost nothing about the world that isn't through a filter. Else they wouldn't be putting us through this AI hell right now

Two, I don't have to prove that this pill wouldn't sell. Just support the idea that whoever was selling it went out of business and the pill is currently unavailable as a result. That absolutely could happen. Something very similar happened with pain relief medication in the 1800's, though I'd need to refresh myself on the details. Products live or die on marketing and spread of word of mouth. I think it's safe to assume, realistically, another business will pick up the slack in the longterm. I know you're going to say that this sort of medicine would make history immediately and it wouldn't come to that. I don't agree -- I think our current media landscape absolutely buries positive or inspiring news unless it's been in a celebrity's orbit. I defy you to tell me you heard about even one of these headlines in the past week: https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org

I'm not saying this drug would be unknown forever, it absolutely will change this world eventually once a celebrity finally takes notice of it. Just that I don't think it requires a suspension of disbelief that the first company to produce it in this story went bust. There is no business in the world that's failproof if the people running it are incompetent enough. For the record I do consider it contrived for the story to play this card but it's not unrealistic in my view.

Three -- yes this drug absolutely would disrupt the market in a major way. Are you kidding me? Botox manufacturers alone would be in immediate crisis. Manufacturers of hormones, facial creams, etc. there would be a LOT of established pharmeceutical and medical companies for whom this pill would be apocalyptic to their bottom line.
Rich people are willing to spend a stupid amount of money on looking young and this was literally 2 million dollars a pill and as we know it is available for rich people to buy the company would never go under because every rich person ever would buy it. What part of rich people are obsessed with eternal youth do you not get?? Remember that how the main characters learned about the pill was that a Chinese billionaire was gloating about it. And when you look at its price literally only rich people can afford it. Celebrities would definitely know about this due to going to parties with other rich people who would gloat about having Eternal youth now. The company would never go under in a million years.
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Jan 22, 2018
Messages
1,499
This is exactly the kind of naive outlook I'm talking about. The assumption rich people are smart/would even know about the drug + the assumption that businesses thrive on good ideas and products. Yeah they are ever on the search for eternal youth, of course they are because one lifetime isn't apparently enough for us to endure their useless butts. Just that an obscure drug comes into the Chinese market and immediately vanishes not long after because the business was poorly run? If it happened quickly enough, I can fully believe most rich people are too oblivious to have taken advantage of the opportunity in time. As I said, they see the world through a filter. Most white billionaires aren't in any kind of rush to experiment with what they'd probably call a "some ancient chinese secret or whatever". Even ignoring there are a lot of dubious Chinese remedies promising youth on the market, racism has historically kept a lot of good things out of western hands on the plant/medicine front. https://www.youtube.com/@ShawnGrows (great youtube channel on this topic btw)

Incidentally: good ideas and good products do not make a successful business. Business acumen and a good marketing team make a successful business. A bad businessman couldn't get you to accept a cup of coffee if he was paying you five bucks to drink it, while a good businessman could sell your toenails back to you after you clipped them.
 
Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Dec 17, 2020
Messages
1,401
How the hell did the company making the pills go bankrupt? Wasn't it like 2 million dollars a pill? They must have been raking in the money.
While I don't like bringing real life aspects into a manga, I'll eat this one, considering this manga style kinda goes to realistic territory.

1) Nobody buys it, or like more like, not enough people buying it, either the pill or the story. People might know, "If things are too good to be true, it might not be true,". People are skeptical enough they don't buy either the pill or the jargon. After all, people who buy this might not get it within the legal source.

2) They're hiding behind "bankruptcy". It could be experimental. They might have been dropping some pills and watching how the pills' effect go. This sounds like sci-fi but eh...
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Jul 20, 2019
Messages
293
Another boring chapter. The setup for whatever plot the author has in mind sure is taking ages. I might be better off putting this on hold for a year.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top