Karakai Jouzu no (Moto) Takagi-san - Ch. 43 - Clover

Group Leader
I'm going to find a 4 leaf clover to beat my dog ​​to : who will eat faster ?

Group Leader
@15avaughn If you have the chance next time, please take a closer look at the typesetting.
The two first uses of "Mommy" end up getting split into "Mom-my", despite having plenty of room to put the entire word on a new line.
Additionally it happens again with "I can't win without a cl-over". It's especially important to have good typesetting on splitting words that contain other words inside of them.

"Mom" and "my", "cl" is not a word, but "over" is. It throws off the ability to read.

Overall though, don't get me wrong, you're doing amazing work. Thanks for all the hard work!

Aggregator gang
Who is that woman that's posing as Chi's mom?!?!?! What happens to takagi san!!??? Where is sheeeeee!!!!!

Double-page supporter
When there's a new chapter of Takagi-san. . .

"...I've obtained happiness"

Group Leader
@DrWhoCares
Going to be perfectly honest, I don't like the way that looks. Especially for the first "Mommy." https://imgur.com/a/TACJiUA
Splitting on syllables is extremely common, even in licensed manga.
Sometimes I can't split on syllables due to the way it makes the text look.
But trust me, I only split words like that when I need to. I really don't think it affects readability that much, even with other words inside them.
If a word is split, it's not because I was careless, it's because I thought it looked best that way.

Group Leader
@15avaughn I'm not a typesetter in any regard, so perhaps I'm missing something, but honestly, I think that version looks great! Hyphenating words to show that the word doesn't fit on the whole line is never ideal. It's a fix for a space issue, rather than an asthetic choice, at least I would presume.

I always excuse hypenation in cases where space is limited, that I can understand, because Japanese is so much more succinct and not to mention, vertical. However, I'd say if no one else notices, don't let me tell you how to do your job.

Group Leader
@DrWhoCares
I think that using hyphens for aesthetics just depends on the typesetter's opinion. Some people like following the shape of the bubble as closely as possible by using hyphens, while others like to stay as far away from hyphens as possible. I just like the way it looks when the text is the same shape as the bubble. I know it's not the best reason, but when I compare the more recent chapters where I started using hyphens more liberally to the earlier chapters where I avoided them, I think I prefer it this way more.

Group Leader
Sounds fair. I favor readability over filling a circle personally, so I'll keep my vote for less hyphens. Of course, as I said, of no one else speaks up, (and even if they do), then there's no reason to let my opinion influence you. You do you man, and you do good work.

Fed-Kun's army
@DrWhoCares @15avaughn
To give my input, I hadn't noticed at all these hyphens; when, reading the comments, I did, I realized I prefer 15avaughn's choice over the other. I'm not, I add, mother-tongue English, maybe it factors in my taste somehow.

Group Leader
@Geany It's possible it does. It's also possible that I'm a bit of a minority case too. I have a strong understanding for English, so maybe there's something to do with the fact that I see two words, I take them as individual words.

Or maybe I've read too many poorly proofread/translated manga, and I'm overly used to incorrect grammar or broken English. This case in particular was the first to stand out so much because it took me a good 10 seconds to figure out it wasnt "Mom my" and then the rest of the sentence would he continued in the next bubble or something.

I actually subconsciously ignored the hypen entirely, because I saw two valid words that could potentially form a sentence. "Mom my tooth hurts..." For example. Of course context throws out that possiblity, but still, it required a double take.

I only noticed those things after reading about them here.

I don't know if it's about having a strong understanding for English or whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread