Karakai Jouzu no (Moto) Takagi-san - Ch. 85

Dex-chan lover
I’ve reached a weird point as a fan where I might actually like this more than the original. I like both but it feels like the original is far more reluctant to actually progress.

Dex-chan lover
In defense of the sniping, which I’m normally against — Avaughn is multiple chapters behind. It’s not strange for someone to come in at that point.

Dex-chan lover
@tigerstar186
Regularity is more important that being perfectly up to date with the raws. Maintaining a 1-2 issue gap (for a high-cadence series like this, possibly more) is reasonable, since then you have a buffer if the manga takes a break week. We're reading English releases anyway, so few people will have enough contact with the Japanese community to care about being up to date with them. The problem is when the translation doesn't keep PACE with the raw. If a weekly series gets translated every two weeks, then yeah, you've got an issue, and it's good for someone else to step in. I don't know what the schedule is for this particular manga, but the translation certainly seems to be frequent enough.
Though something like a certain Box is an exception, which serves no purpose but to attention-whore and cause confusion over what is "the latest chapter".

Dex-chan lover
@Acolytus
offer a superior "product"
Snipes and speedscans are almost universally worse than the releases they're sniping. Usually because there's a reason the old group takes long enough to get sniped in the first place, whether it's acquiring raws or the effort of cleaning and redrawing. In the case of this release, there's not much issue with redrawing, but the raws are vastly inferior.
There are a few cases where the original group may be too liberal with their translation and the snipe aims to fix that, but it's rarely the case. At best, having two groups work on one series is a waste. There are far, far more series than there are translators to handle them, and every sniped chapter is a chapter's worth of effort that could have been spent on a series that get no translation at all.
But then again, sniping a few chapters is an easier way to get attention and requires less commitment than taking on an untranslated series for the long term, so it's no surprise people turn to it instead.

Dex-chan lover
@anon763 I see your point, and agree with you to a degree, but this isn’t 1-2; it’s 4. Additionally I feel the opposite way about high-cadence series. The more popular it is, the more people are both willing to translate and wanting to read.

Dex-chan lover
@anon763
There are far, far more series than there are translators to handle them, and every sniped chapter is a chapter's worth of effort that could have been spent on a series that get no translation at all.
This is my biggest problem with multiple scans. I have so many in my follows list of abandoned manga that deserves a look, but nobody translates them. Instead, there's a perfectly active and fine manga that for some reason someone needed to make a quick rush-job. It seems unnecessary.

@srasinister Shh, I have time only for ranting for two years and thousands of hours, no time to learn a whole new language! /s

Fed-Kun's army
As much as I disagree about speedscan and low-quality scanlation, they’re fair games. It’s everyone’s right to scanlate a version of their own and upload it, and it’s our choice to choose which to read. I don’t mind waiting 20 days if I can read a good version of Kaguya on this site. Just gotta build up patience if you are serious about choosing quality.

Of course, this doesn’t mean we are gonna stop complaining about these shitty scans. That’s also a choice anyone can make. These kind of scans deteriorate the standards and feed off the notion that people don’t care for quality over quantity. Complaints give feedback to both the original scanlators and the snipers that not everyone cares about speed. If there is no complaints then that shows that people don’t care at all. Why bother dedicating time to a scanlation project to make it perfect when readers don’t give a shit?

Not raising a voice is the same as accepting it, something at least I will never do regarding speedscans. This kind of problem exists in fan-scanlated doujin, light novels, even in official visual novels and games localization. When people don’t speak out, it gives publishers/scanlators/anyone in charge a reason to continue doing such shitty practices. A good amount of those and you get a subpar standard compared to before.

Group Leader
sniping is always great because it motivates the main scanlator.
as we can see the main scanlator is already spamming releases to retaliate lmao

Contributor
@bastek66 well, no, since toubun doesn't have a back log and in this manga, we're seeing a pattern of one scanlator trying to upload more chapters than the other which was similar to juliet (i know 😅).

Dex-chan lover
@Kanami-chan This is wrong though. Usually when sniping happen, the main group will lost interest and drop the manga then the one who sniped it also drop the manga then no one work on the manga anymore. The multiple releases here can also be a sign that the translator pumping out the chapters that were already done then they will drop the project. I have seen this a lot in the past, hope it will not be the case here.

Dex-chan lover
@Acolytus You don't know that sniping can lead to both group dropping the manga? I have seen it many times. Remember that they are doing this for free. They have nothing to gain from doing the translation. With ungrateful readers like you and someone else stepping on their toe, they will lose motivation and drop the project.
This is completely different from running business.

Users who are viewing this thread