Karakai Jouzu no (Moto) Takagi-san

Contributor
@gnambiar, you need to be a Contributor to edit the details. You can apply at the forums. There's a thread there.

Dex-chan lover
When/If i ever try to take over the world, totally going for takagi's help, shes like pure evil in human form

I definitely like this manga for what it is, but however, it deviates so far away from the original work. The reason I say this, is because the feeling is off. They force these challenges rather than let it grow organically. It's like they lost the original purpose to the challenges. But in the original, they challenged because "it was there" kind of feeling. The way they interacted sets it up.
In the original, their is a chapter where takagi was grown up, and implied she had a daughter with Nishikata. The kid's antics in that scene felt more real.
Does anyone else feel that this sequel feels a bit "off" from the original too? I know it's a different author, but I would have thought the original was at least consulting.

Contributor
@Hanen Here's my two cents on this. I wouldn't say off per se, but it's definitely not the same. From reality perspective, this is definitely a bit different because of author, but it still feels similar enough to me. This series focuses less on the challenges between two people in love and more on the family aspects of the characters. So I guess in that sense, the objective of the story is a bit different. But from story's perspective, it kind of makes sense. They are adults now with a child so they should not exactly behave as if they were kids. That's what part of growing up is.

@FireCrypt Yes they are grown up, but i'm not talking about their actions. I'm talking more about the ambience. The challenges happened naturally in the original because of their personalities being so set. But in this one, they don't have the balance as the original. It's much too different. For fun, I just picture some other family face because it felt awkward the other way.

@Hanen
I think that difference in ambience is for a very basic reason. And that's probably also why it feels off to you.
In the original the challenges happen because boy doesn't understand why he is so obsessed with beating girl (that's the reason she always wins, she knows and uses it against him). That's why you say it's "closer to their characters". The goal is not actually to beat her but to understand these feelings (goal of the series I should say).
In this one it's about the upbringing of Chi, meaning it's not them and their own feelings that drive the story. So it naturally feels off now, because most "pranks" are centered around Nishitaka, but he is not the focal point that drives the goal/story forward.
I would argue that the chapters that focus on Chi are the ones that are actually good/strong, while the ones that focus on the other two are mostly pandering to the audience of the original. Which isn't necessarily bad, but a reason why it would feel off.

Dex-chan lover
The latest chapter really frustrates me. The mangaka should realize that they aren't doing Nishikata's character a favor by throwing (what is essentially) at least a decade's worth of growth and maturity out the window.

@Hanen
This one feels so different from the original because the original - despite also being a slice of life - has the underlying plot of Takagi making Nishikata fall for her and him realizing (or is it being conditioned?) that he has feelings for her. Everything that happens is grounded on that, and it's always interesting to see how each new chapter contributes to that plot.

On the other hand this series is pure slice of life with - as of 41 chapters - no underlying plot to advance things. Then there's the fact that the Nishikata here is exactly the same Nishikata we got in the original series, with the only difference being his "husband status." I say "husband status" because after all this time the mangaka never does anything with the fact that Takagi and Nishikata are married other than telling us readers that they are, well, married. And as you said it works even if you imagine that these characters aren't Takagi and Nishikata but some other couple.

tl;dr: The original series is a romcom slice of life, while this one is just a comedy with characters who happen to have the same names as the characters in the original. The two manga feel different because they are.

Dex-chan lover
@auriga you are welcome to your opinion just as others are welcome to disagree with you, i personally quite enjoy this one, BECAUSE it doesnt feel the need to attempt all kinds of character development nonsense, in reality a grownup is just a kid who has learned to hide it better (or had the joy sucked out of them by society) imo, and I dont see why you are complaining, much less STILL READING IT if you dislike it so much... i would understand if this was still chapter 9 even, but we are way into this, and frankly the 8.71 rating seems to disagree with your claims that everyone should find it bad xD so please either keep reading and enjoying the manga and stop complaining, or go somewhere where people ARENT enjoying to manga to complain about it (and probably stop reading the manga since u seem to dislike it so much)

Dex-chan lover
@banjomarx:
No need to get all offended because of someone else's opinion. And I never said people shouldn't like this manga.

That I think this series is different from the original doesn't mean I don't like it; all it simply means that it's different and I therefore need to approach it differently from the original.

@auriga
@banjomarx:
No need to get all offended because of someone else's opinion. And I never said people shouldn't like this manga.

That I think this series is different from the original doesn't mean I don't like it; all it simply means that it's different and I therefore need to approach it differently from the original.

I agree, but it has a bit of a "lonely" kind of feel for me though to not be able to see the original characters grow but rather it feels like a cheap knockoff friend. :'(

Dex-chan lover
@Hanen: It's hard to shake off that feeling, yeah. Seeing Nishikata still get all embarrassed because of his wife a good majority of the time makes me wonder why they even got married in the first place. It makes for good comedy at the start, but the more chapters we get the more I wish the author would transcend their junior high dynamic.

That, or just focus on Chi.

I agree that the chapters with just Chi and Takagi are better. It's mostly because Nishikata behaving like a middle school kid even after having a child himself tends to take me out of the manga

Users who are viewing this thread