Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san - Vol. 16 Ch. 138 - Exchange Diary

Damn I really thought we got a clue about their first names, it's a big mystery like kyon name.

Dex-chan lover
This man's gonna do so many pushups today, he got played like a fiddly diddly fiddle

Supporter
Okay, I gotta know because manga is really painting Japanese culture in a light that I can't believe but is an exchange diary really a thing that people do? I'm actually wondering here because I've never seen any kinda tradition like this in North America and maybe this is a result of the environment I grew up in but normally people either talk about their thoughts or don't talk about their thoughts to each other.

I don't know if this exchange diary is a positive reflection of the Japanese mindset to try to communicate when communication is difficult or if it's a negative reflection of non directional confrontation.

Dex-chan lover
@azuremirage
Okay, I gotta know because manga is really painting Japanese culture in a light that I can't believe but is an exchange diary really a thing that people do? I'm actually wondering here because I've never seen any kinda tradition like this in North America and maybe this is a result of the environment I grew up in but normally people either talk about their thoughts or don't talk about their thoughts to each other.

I don't know if this exchange diary is a positive reflection of the Japanese mindset to try to communicate when communication is difficult or if it's a negative reflection of non directional confrontation.

The tradition is based on penpal where you write letter each other with / without knowing who they are. Well, you might not knowing that since you are a millennial when internet was there when you are born, and just use chat app to do that.

Heisei era, early 90's in Japan, before social media / message board / chat was a boom, there was a popular friend's clique activity called Exchange Diary (Koukan Nikki) where those group everyday rotate the book to every person, sharing their thought or activity. This activity is popular among girls. But somehow, it becomes romantic way when you do it with your lover. Sometimes the content is about their activity, sometimes about their state of mind, but sometimes they comment about that activity before writing their own diary. Also, this exchange diary is like facebook, they put their photo from photobox booth gluing in one page right after they take photo together.

Well, I think this friendship activity is never dying even Zucc create Facebook because in some chance, that exchange diary book is their friendship treasure one day.

Supporter
@Lolipop_Candy good looks on that - yeah i figured its a holdover of a time without internet - just felt mad foreign of a concept to me like sending letters to people when i could just text them.

I can see the permanence of a tangible object just I couldn't see young middle/highschool kids doing that today even in Japan. It's stuff like this, walking under an umbrella with someone, calling someone by their first name etc etc that are all really foreign concepts to me as an American and like you said as a millennial.

Dex-chan lover
@azuremirage
After you read manga / watch anime / play visual novel about slice of life genre a lot, you will get used to it and found that that culture has beauty on its own.

Exchange Diary is still exist to this date especially in Elementary School girl since Japan release and persuade parents for their children to use smartphone for kids or no smartphone at all for them.
In Junior High, or High School some of them still doing it too but not so much like before, mostly done in rural area where network signal is hard to get or in big cities where some girls who love cute things like treasuring something.

Users who are viewing this thread