Karate Survivor in Another World - Vol. 7 Ch. 44 - Fishing Village Canteen

Fed-Kun's army
s1syprg7ntPVCHP1SG0v-o.jpg
At what point do you realize it's YOU that's the issue?
Damn. Every town, every time.
Yajin is the type of dude your mom tells you to stay away from because he attracts trouble.

Dex-chan lover
What do you think this is? This a karate jerking off manga. If he ain't fisting the woman with a karate move, no h stuff will happen.
Eh, I wouldn't call it karate jerking off considering how little karate is mentioned and glorified.
Karate only mentioned as a martial arts that Yajin have. All those powerful punches he threw is attributed to his revel rather than the techniques.
Heck, no techniques are mentioned explicitly

Maybe instead of encouraging this kids shitty behaviour he should instead teach the little shit not to mess with random strangers who have nothing to lose and could just leave town after murdering him.

Fed-Kun's army
In/Out morality still applies in larger groups, but becomes more complicated as it applies to sub-groups, sub-sub groups, the main group, etc. Even as modern countries/empires operate on a global scale. An example would be the US uniting to fight Nazi Germany, while also holding racial biases at home, having competition between the army/navy/air force, defending france while also mocking the french for surrendering, etc..

While Karate Survivor doesn't spend time explicitly looking at these ideas it is implicit in the story. Every town has a hierarchy with some thugs in charge, a bunch of the regular citizens competing with each other and sometimes doing crimes, but overall the place doesn't collapse. There are enough members of the "in group" to hold social strata together.

I think in this case Triablism ("in/out groups") is more of a cultural trait than an instinctive one. Sure the families usually protect their own members or go out of their way to protect relatives from a tribe due to kinship, but if we're talking about a hierarchical system like in an authoritarian state, then that norm would need to be first indoctrinated into the culture before people would comply and act on it.

A hierarchical village can instinctively become wary of strangers or even antagonistic towards them, but defense-wise doesn't have to automatically mobilize against them if those don't pose an immediate threat (e.g not judging passing caravans or unarmed travelers the same as armies or bandit gangs).

Should the local culture also have values that are more humane, it's more likely they will be reluctant to attack the strangers so long as those don't later become a threat. Otherwise if the culture is corrupt and has antisocial or fundamentalist values grained into it, then there won't be much of a surprise if they immediately chose aggression instead.

Last edited:

N2O

Dex-chan lover
And then he did a backflip, snapped the bad guy's neck and saved the day!

And in next weeks episode...

Dex-chan lover
I think in this case Triablism ("in/out groups") is more of a cultural trait than an instinctive one. Sure the families usually protect their own members or go out of their way to protect relatives from a tribe due to kinship, but if we're talking about a hierarchical system like in an authoritarian state, then that norm would need to be first indoctrinated into the culture before people would comply and act on it.

A hierarchical village can instinctively become wary of strangers or even antagonistic towards them, but defense-wise doesn't have to automatically mobilize against them if those don't pose an immediate threat (e.g not judging passing caravans or unarmed travelers the same as armies or bandit gangs).

Should the local culture also have values that are more humane, it's more likely they will be reluctant to attack the strangers so long as those don't later become a threat. Otherwise if the culture is corrupt and has antisocial or fundamentalist values grained into it, then there won't be much of a surprise if they immediately chose aggression instead.
In addition to culture and instinct is a third spoke, material conditions. Cultural values go poof when people get hungry, and material advantages are essential to build a hierarchy. An example is Inuit tribes who are patriarchal in the summer (hunting/gathering season) but become matriarchal in the winter (sit inside and craft tools season). When the material conditions behind the economy (i.e. resource management) change, the culture follows.

Instinct certainly plays a role. We are socially evolved creatures who thrive when we cooperate but also tend to compete for resources. It's an "inside of you there are two wolves" moment. That tension between cooperation and competition will push and pull on the culture, and be pushed and pulled by the material conditions.

In/out mentality is a mix of all three spokes. Shared culture defines the in-group, material conditions support the in-group, and behavioral instincts allow the conception of a shared culture.

I get the impression that the author of Karate Survivor is interested in societies that compete through direct violence. Japan enforces hierarchies with soft violence in the form of economic scarcity, competing for jobs/school grades, and a class system. And modern Japan, since the end of the Meiji era, undertook a culture of anti-violence. It's why Japanese nationalists/fascists yearn for the mythologized past of heroic warriors cutting their opponents down. It's why so many isekai are about exploited office workers or bullied school kids, wielding justified hyperviolence. Through Yajin, readers get to ask "Which did you prefer? Soft economic violence, or direct bodily violence?"

All of this makes me wonder where are the egalitarian isekai? Can you think of any stories where the protag falls into a post-scarcity society? Maybe the stories would be too boring without class conflict.

Fed-Kun's army
In addition to culture and instinct is a third spoke, material conditions. Cultural values go poof when people get hungry, and material advantages are essential to build a hierarchy. An example is Inuit tribes who are patriarchal in the summer (hunting/gathering season) but become matriarchal in the winter (sit inside and craft tools season). When the material conditions behind the economy (i.e. resource management) change, the culture follows.

Instinct certainly plays a role. We are socially evolved creatures who thrive when we cooperate but also tend to compete for resources. It's an "inside of you there are two wolves" moment. That tension between cooperation and competition will push and pull on the culture, and be pushed and pulled by the material conditions.

In/out mentality is a mix of all three spokes. Shared culture defines the in-group, material conditions support the in-group, and behavioral instincts allow the conception of a shared culture.
I would say materials and resources are just an external aspect of both rather than a "third spoke" of sorts, meaning the subject of what instincts are hardwired towards and what the cultural intellect (rather than instinct) uses for production.

While falling back on instincts could result in a more primitive approach, a culture can develop a complementing or even superseding method that's more viable.
For example: fighting for resources becomes the absolute last resort in a culture that has developed the concepts of trade, diplomacy and sophisticated forms of non-combative warfare. Likewise a culture more focused on skill can produce technology that's far more efficient at cultivation than one that's based on feudalism, slavery and superstition.

The constant back-and-forth between the two would still be a thing seeing that not all options are always available, but if to follow your example, i would say the Inuit tribes you mentioned demonstrated cultural adaptability rather than flat-out regression. Rather than falling back to basic instincts, i think they just used the most of what they had at any given season (as opposed to killing each other for food).

I get the impression that the author of Karate Survivor is interested in societies that compete through direct violence. Japan enforces hierarchies with soft violence in the form of economic scarcity, competing for jobs/school grades, and a class system. And modern Japan, since the end of the Meiji era, undertook a culture of anti-violence. It's why Japanese nationalists/fascists yearn for the mythologized past of heroic warriors cutting their opponents down. It's why so many isekai are about exploited office workers or bullied school kids, wielding justified hyperviolence. Through Yajin, readers get to ask "Which did you prefer? Soft economic violence, or direct bodily violence?"
You may have a point. If it's not their competitive culture, i would guess it might also be some doomer outlook that's convinced everything always sucked in one way or another.

However it's not like the author here doesn't ever focus on the good people either. There was the apothecary, the run-away nomad, the butchers and even the inn-keeper in this chapter, something that imo suggests that rather than focusing on violence the author is just trying to show a harsh medieval reality with minimal sugar-coating.

All of this makes me wonder where are the egalitarian isekai? Can you think of any stories where the protag falls into a post-scarcity society? Maybe the stories would be too boring without class conflict.
Admittedly i also haven't seen any Isekais that seriously attempted to illustrate something like a communist fantasy utopia where everyone is equally fed and taken care of.
Ironically the closest that comes to mind is actually a classic non-Isekai manga called <Battle Angel Alita>, where later in the story there's a depiction of an "utopian" city called Zalem (aka Thypheris) that exists thanks to a post-apocalyptic cyberpunk hellhole beneath it that's doing all the hard labor.
But even then the focus is more about the MC and her interactions with the world, not the social aspect of the utopian side of things.

Technically, there's Isekais that have a more happy-go-lucky approach like <Yuusha Shoukan ni Makikomareta kedo, Isekai wa Heiwa deshita> and various cooking Isekais like <Tondemo Skill de Isekai Hourou Meshi> and <Isekai de Café o Kaiten Shimashita> where the MC and their surrounding is always provided with all the resources they ever need by either their cheat skill or by becoming aristocrats in the Isekai.
In which case most of the plot is either driven by the theme or some inter-personal drama and maybe some politicking.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
People mentioned that the dragon cub is a manga-only development. Did these villagers want to kill his dog in the novel?

reu

Dex-chan lover
There he goes "doing nothing wrong" starting shit wherever he goes and murdering his merry way around the countryside. You'd really think that if people try to arrest you wherever you go you'd start to take an inkling of a hint.

Fucking sickens me to see all you sociopathic lil'shits taking the side of the POV character without any empathy for the poor villagers trying to arrest the loony who just SMUGGLED A FUCKING DRAGON into their village.
For all they know momma dragon is right on his tail, fueled by rightous indignation and hellbent on cleansing the bastard who took her child, alongside any luckless fools who might be near, from this face of this isekai. This fucking psycho will murder his way out of 109 villages.

reu

Dex-chan lover
Being a hobo, I know how he feels having the police want TO ARREsT YOU & TAKE YOUR HARD SAVED KITTY. I really did give those police some good besting.
Lmao at bro lying his ass off as if he's on reddit
13 "intellectually disabled persons" believed him too:lul:

Fed-Kun's army
Aaaaaah the cliffhanger! I wanted to see him fucking pulp these guys (and preferably the shitty kid too).
At this point just snap the kid's neck off, he wont grow up to anything good seeing how the circumstances and settings work.

Dex-chan lover
There he goes "doing nothing wrong" starting shit wherever he goes and murdering his merry way around the countryside. You'd really think that if people try to arrest you wherever you go you'd start to take an inkling of a hint.

Fucking sickens me to see all you sociopathic lil'shits taking the side of the POV character without any empathy for the poor villagers trying to arrest the loony who just SMUGGLED A FUCKING DRAGON into their village.
For all they know momma dragon is right on his tail, fueled by rightous indignation and hellbent on cleansing the bastard who took her child, alongside any luckless fools who might be near, from this face of this isekai. This fucking psycho will murder his way out of 109 villages.
Eh, who cares at this point. The author barely flesh them out and as far as that guy's concerned, these "villagers" are xp bags. It just repeats over and over that it's just preferable to meme around than to take it seriously.

The longer it goes, the more of a lie the title becomes.

Dex-chan lover
Murder is different from self defense and by a great measure. Everyone with two eyes and two brain hemispheres know the difference by instinct. Those who try to distort these are the most wicked and most cowardly people.

Jesus Christ people in this world, i know it's some sort of "more realistic" medieval times but holy shit is their first response to any problem murder or what ? how the fuck do they survive against monsters if the first thing they think is "who could i kill to get what i want" ?

Users who are viewing this thread