Kare to Kanojo no Sentaku - Vol. 1 Ch. 1

Dex-chan lover
@ninjazz What are some examples of manga where the childhood friend turned out to be a girl in which the girl actually won? I know a couple examples but they lost in all of them. Except for Tomo of course.

Double-page supporter
@Darklight99 the only example that i can really think of with them winning is Osananajimi ni Najimitai https://manga.fascans.com/manga/osananajimi-ni-najimitai

it's nice and sweet. it honestly does everything i want out of that particular type of manga
maybe i could of had less of the rival character
it also beats Tomo in terms of how far their relationship goes (at least as far as we're shown) but Tomo beats it in terms of length and comedy. can't have everything i suppose.

you'd probably have more luck finding manga with that theme in far less family friendly circles.

Dex-chan lover
@ninjazz Thanks, I had already read it, had been following it from the very start. But again, I don't remember whether MC was ever in question about whether FMC was a boy or a girl.
And yes, I know a few H-Manga with that theme, Wild Pitch! is a good example of it.

Fed-Kun's army
This was one of the best first chapters of any manga i've read, damn! The artstyle's extremely good too.
Fuck these reactions are cute!
DnV3hmc.png
QmPF46d.png

Power Uploader
@teruhashiclone

No, they're transition stories but there was no gender dysphoria prior to that point; they just wake up one day and then there is some potential adjustment period and then they live their lives.

It would be a trans story if they were actually transgender or gender dysphoric prior to that point and then have their wish magically granted, perhaps; that's different.

The appeal for most about genderswap stories is that the character didn't have such a prior wish or dream; the appeal for many is often the confusion at it and the adjustment period. The appeal is that the character never gave it prior thought, suddenly wakes up as the opposite sex, and all the comedy that comes from the unfamiliar situations. If it be either a slow transition via hormonal means, or the character spent years præparing for it, it's obviously not as funny.

Personally, I don't really care in this case though because it happened years ago for this character; it's not as interesting as say Boku Girl, where it's a new experience for the character, or A Lazy Guy Woke Up As a Girl One Day which inverts all the clichés with the side characters expecting this confusion but the character being completely disinterested in it.

Double-page supporter
I'm going to have a blast reading thing.

Thanks for the TL!

Dex-chan lover
I don't know about other people but I always find it strange how in these type of magical gender swap syndrome manga they are so nonchalant about their gender.

Oh, so it's just yet another magical-gender-disease story and not something that would actually be interesting like an actual take on Transsexuality...

Whatever, I'm game! I don't mind this genre in the slightest, even if I set myself up for disappointment apparently. It was a good chapter still!

EDIT:
Alright, y'know what, having read Chapter 2 I might've been a bit too harsh on it. I still hate that trope, but from the sound of it they will in fact be handling it better than I first thought they would.

While yes "acquired sexual reversal syndrome" it's real but I think the artist not really get it straight or it have been lost in the translation. But there is a strange medical case that I read quite a while ago, which focus on a village in africa if i remember correctly, they didn't actually developed their sexual appearance like female or male until the very close of 12-13 and include their genital which some had a penis but got stuck inside what look like a vagina, and as they growth either the penis will growth out or it will disappear and leave a vagina there. It was really a rare medical case in that village, and I totally forgot what it called. But well I think that is more of a case the "acquired sexual reversal syndrome".

jak

Contributor
Oh, so there's some disease involved. I was expecting he just never realized Haruka was a girl.

Fed-Kun's army
fuck this super fucking hard. they really set it up as a trans thing and the went "Is majic innit" on the last page. not reading this boring shit.

so it is not trans, ok.
i think i could do this a trans history but it will not have the activism of other manga.
it is nice, the art is nice, i dont see the difference here... you can read as a trans story, but it is a real woman witch is fine.

at first i expect haruka was a girl all along, but them trans, and in the end it is like a gender bender thing. fine.

Users who are viewing this thread