Kasane to Subaru - Vol. 3 Ch. 18

Double-page supporter
I'm interested in how we're reading into this differently. As I see it the client is incredibly prejudiced with old school ideas of gender roles and norms. Which is directly counter to the theme of this manga. She's nice on the surface yeah, but she's happy a woman is leading the design because it's a toy for girls. At the same time she said she didn't like the original proposals for being too "boyish" despite that design having been made from "your own experiences" as advised by her friend. I took the halfway tears at the end and flashback to both scenes to be the contrast between what the client (representing traditional ideas about gender) expects of her as a "woman" and the reality that she just doesn't fit into that stereotypical idea of a "woman".
You pointed out lots of good stuff , yeah the client is very traditional with their idea of gender norms, but they’re still the one paying and clearly have their own vision. Part of the job is putting your own belief aside and just interpreting the vision into designs that the client wants (if you want to get paid especially since this is her first lead gig). I feel bad for Kasane but she can also take in what she got as feedback in this chapter, then mix her own experiences as a ‘boyish’ girl, friends advice about tons of drafts, and sell her revised concept in the next review. Even the boss is on her side, he said girls come from all walks of life, they just need to convince the client.

Since this manga is crossdressing and subverting gender expectations, next few chapters would be interesting in how she approaches the project. Thanks for sharing your perspective too, you got me thinking.

Supporter
You pointed out lots of good stuff , yeah the client is very traditional with their idea of gender norms, but they’re still the one paying and clearly have their own vision. Part of the job is putting your own belief aside and just interpreting the vision into designs that the client wants (if you want to get paid especially since this is her first lead gig). I feel bad for Kasane but she can also take in what she got as feedback in this chapter, then mix her own experiences as a ‘boyish’ girl, friends advice about tons of drafts, and sell her revised concept in the next review. Even the boss is on her side, he said girls come from all walks of life, they just need to convince the client.

Since this manga is crossdressing and subverting gender expectations, next few chapters would be interesting in how she approaches the project. Thanks for sharing your perspective too, you got me thinking.
Just my thought: The difference may also lie in two different perspectives, one based on what humans are really like and one based on what we think they should be like.

Humans (not just customers) are dumb in lots of ways. One of those is "wanting to follow someone else's lead", and another is "being unable to understand one's subconscious desires except by contrast to reality". Which is why designers who can propose ideas while understanding these things, and not take it personally when they manifest, are invaluable.

When the customer says "I don't know, why don't you propose something?" (manifesting wanting to follow someone else's lead), they don't actually mean "Put forth a good idea, and I'll follow it". They mean "Propose something so that I can tell myself I'm following your lead, because my ego is too fragile to say what I really want and possibly have someone make fun of it".

When the customer says "Oh, that's not what I wanted - I wanted this" they don't mean "You're stupid and that's a bad idea and you got it wrong" (although the jerkholes may say it that way, to stroke their own ego for "getting it right"). They mean "Oh! Now that I see something in reality, I can actually contrast that against my gut feelings and understand what I really want."

To illustrate both of these, here's an idea people can try that I've found works for me: If I'm tied up in knots over whether to do A or B, I flip a coin and tell myself that it will make the decision. If it's heads I'll do A and if it's tails I'll do B. If it lands heads and I breathe a sigh of relief + feel confident in doing A, A was what I really wanted to do. If it lands tails and I start thinking of reasons that B probably isn't a good idea and maybe I should flip again, B wasn't what I wanted to do.

Dex-chan lover
Client: "A Cute and colorful frog that children will love"
Artist: Gives a cute and colorful frog that children will love
Client: See, these colors aren't what I'm looking for, I want a PASTEL PURPLE one. And that it's focused to girls.
Artist: Listen here you little shit.png
Gotta love it when clients give you "vague details" first and when you submit THEN is when they go into detail. Like you're some kind of outworldly wizard mindreader.

Supporter

Kinda expecting her boyfriend to help since he likes chunky cute designs.

Double-page supporter
"it went very well"
no shit, the client made complete sentences and gave a proper direction for revision, its going VERY well !!

Always love how this author handle work-related emotions !
Agreed. It went so much better than how it usually does in real life.
The person got called out for being vague and they took it well by not going all Karen-defense-mode which is very good. They realized what they were looking for and was able to show an actual example with color schemes, target audience, etc.
I've never met an artist who got approved on their first meeting because 10 out of 10 clients do not know what they want in detail.
Rejection sucks so her reaction to it was legit. This is a good learning experience for Kasane, and the more projects she gets the more rejections she'll face. She'll have thicker skin and she'll be much stronger.

Dex-chan lover
Ah, yes, a designer's nemesis: unreasonable client

At least she explained (I hope) everything she wanted on the first review meeting

Aggregator gang
On one hand "we want a cute thing" "oh this is not cute enough here's what I mean" is perfectly reasonable and accomodating but I truly do relate to Subaru. Good thing that failed design/idea is free to recycle!

Dex-chan lover
oh wait, didnt she hear that kind of critism before? that her work felt very boyish
Well, yeah, but when people said it in those contexts, she felt pride because her work reflected her personality and interests. In no way were they judging her; those comments were more of an observation than critique.

But this is an entirely different field. Here, her work is being criticized — although in a very polite and incredibly understandable manner; she's a client after all. She can't really express or show her real self in these drawings; she has to abide by the ideas and emotions of the client. And because this is her first time, she took it a little bit harsher than someone with more experience.

Obviously, because of the nature of this story, she will come to understand the sacrifices that an artist should make when working with a client and will be able to find a middle ground of delivering what is asked and expressing herself.

Damn, I didn't expect to write a whole dissertation on this chapter lmaooo

And please no hard feelings. this started as a response, but it eventually became something entirely different loll

Dex-chan lover
Kasane is a relatively young person and this is her first project of this kind where she's fully in charge of designing an original character, so it's understandable that she takes this kind of criticism hard, but like her friend says, there's basically no one who can get it right in the first iteration, figuring out the customer's demands is an iterative process, especially considering the customer isn't a designer themselves and they can't be expected to be trained in how to express their needs in a complete and unambiguous way from the start. It's on the service provider to work with the customer to figure out and clarify exactly what it is they want and need. It's also like someone else said, she's identifying a lot with the art that she produced (in general but also in terms of gender roles) so she gets extra hurt when the customer rejects it (and by referencing how it's not girlish), but if you're going to be a professional, you need to be able to separate yourself from the work you produce, because the goal is not self-expression, it's to supply the customer with what they're paying for.

Users who are viewing this thread